- Apple warns coronavirus expected to cause iPhone ‘supply shortages’ Monday 7:59 PM
- Will ‘The Bachelor’ end without an engagement? Monday 7:44 PM
- This ‘Little Women’ scene just became a meme Monday 7:03 PM
- Playable version of Blizzard’s ‘StarCraft: Ghost’ leaks online nearly 15 years after cancelation Monday 6:31 PM
- This Twitter extension can block unsolicited nudes from your inbox Monday 6:01 PM
- Jeffree Star wears cornrows after being accused of cultural appropriation Monday 4:49 PM
- Jeff Bezos says he’ll commit $10 billion to combat climate change Monday 4:18 PM
- A TikTok user went on a mission to turn his urine blue by chugging food coloring Monday 3:55 PM
- YouTuber’s vacation in ‘Bali’ was actually staged at Ikea Monday 3:14 PM
- Video shows liquor store manager calling employee ‘f*cking worthless’ Monday 1:16 PM
- Instagram influencer scams followers out of $1.5 million Monday 12:22 PM
- Why did the Israeli military tweet this thirst trap? Monday 10:43 AM
- Jake Paul wants you to have financial freedom… by paying him a monthly fee Monday 10:40 AM
- Tweets from Sanders supporters are terrifying the establishment Monday 10:15 AM
- Zuckerberg says he supports 1 bill in Congress that would regulate Facebook Monday 10:11 AM
You can’t spell America without Erica. Stranger Things 3 absolutely crushed Netflix’s rating records.
A whopping 18.2 million households watched the newest season–in its entirety–within the first four days of its release, according to a tweet from the streaming service.
.@Stranger_Things 3 is breaking Netflix records!— Netflix US (@netflix) July 8, 2019
40.7 million household accounts have been watching the show since its July 4 global launch — more than any other film or series in its first four days. And 18.2 million have already finished the entire season.
The latest installment of the sci-fi-horror series premiered on July 4 and garnered views from 40.7 million households overall, according to the tweet.
This news comes on the heels of the streaming service’s previous record-breaker, Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler’s Murder Mystery, which premiered on June 14. Murder Mystery was allegedly watched by more than 30 million people within the first three days of its release.
The number counts come from Nielsen, which began tracking Netflix views in 2017, according to Complex. Nielsen only tracks views on television sets, leaving every view that originates from a laptop, phone, or tablet out of the equation.
The news also makes a fourth season highly likely, if it wasn’t already.
A fourth installment has not yet been confirmed by Netflix or Stranger Things producers, but cast member David Harbour (Jim Hopper) previously told CNET that a fourth season was definitely possible.
“We’re either going to season four or five,” Harbour said in 2018. “It’s still being debated. I do know the arc of the story, though. This was something that I discussed with [show creators] the Duffer brothers right from day one.”
- The ‘Stranger Things 3’ post-credit scene, explained
- Will Byers’ role in ‘Stranger Things 3’ is inspiring a lot of memes
- Netflix claims Adam Sandler’s ‘Murder Mystery’ broke viewing records
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Brooke Sjoberg is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She is also the Daily Texan's Life and Arts Editor and an editorial intern for Texas Connect magazine.