- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut Tuesday 4:12 PM
- This website will show you how AI classifies you Tuesday 3:22 PM
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Tuesday 2:30 PM
The newest SpongeBob meme shows Mr. SquarePants traveling the globe and arriving at exotic destinations dressed in traditional (or more accurately cliche) versions the local garb. To add to the effect some people add stereotypical music from each culture, giving the whole thing a “clueless American tourist” vibe.
timothée chalamet stans after putting the accent mark in timothée pic.twitter.com/wAfL8wqm6m— kyra (@qhantomthread) June 1, 2019
The meme seems to have started on May 31 when Twitter user @DlXlENORMOUS posted an image of a French SpongeBob in front of the Eiffel Tower along with the caption “#NewProfilePic”
Soon other people began creating their own versions.
Beyoncé: Coachella, you READY?!— 방탄소년단 (@heyitzkennedi) June 2, 2019
First you had French spongebob, then Spanish spongebob, then British spongebob, now you have Nicki Minaj spongebob. Don’t lets this flop! pic.twitter.com/UvxpIFsr1F— dave stan account (@_anna_ou) June 2, 2019
Girl we going to Islam? pic.twitter.com/J3qOqgghob— andrew (@afadisborn) June 2, 2019
the main character of every coming of age movie ever moving from a big city to a small town in the middle of nowhere pic.twitter.com/yUsTWfeoTV— dallas (@abhorrentansel) June 2, 2019
A lot of people used the opportunity to mock cultural appropriation.
white women after saying “gracias”— b (@hoegenic) June 2, 2019
in a mexican restaurant pic.twitter.com/8aRYTyYdgf
Me in Olive Garden pic.twitter.com/m2YzijFamz— i do like her (@CellyClarkson) June 2, 2019
how y’all act after taking one sociology class pic.twitter.com/sDBcoouz9V— ᶜᵒⁿˢᵗᵃⁿᵗⁱⁿᵉ (@greenIight) June 2, 2019
straight white liberal girls who like to fetishize gay men https://t.co/I8Gy0COJ2k— babydyke (@ohfIux) June 3, 2019
But don’t worry. Game of Thrones memes aren’t dead just yet. One of the funniest versions of the meme shows Ayra Stark discovering what’s “west of Westeros”.
arya stark when she arrives west of westeros and discovers america pic.twitter.com/lqhxSrnWiT— damaris (@valarsmorghuIis) June 2, 2019
And, of course, it wasn’t long before things started getting weird.
My head after seeing all the spongebob memes pic.twitter.com/cGOohaM6h3— 𝐑ä𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐥 😚✌🏼 (@sistxr_) June 2, 2019
Turns out it’s a SpongeBob world after all.
- Black Twitter is reimagining the Avengers in memes
- The wild world of YouTube bushcraft videos
- ‘Me Explaining’ meme shows what moms put up with from their kids
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.