- Poster for ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ gets mercilessly roasted 2 Months Ago
- How to steam March Madness 2019 for free Today 7:00 AM
- Trump maintains attack on late John McCain Today 6:51 AM
- How to know if someone blocked you on Snapchat Today 6:30 AM
- Drag queens are calling on DirecTV to keep Viacom channels Today 6:16 AM
- Daniel Caesar dons cape for whiteness—and gets canceled Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Triton is a new malware ‘deliberately’ designed to put lives at risk Wednesday 3:23 PM
- ‘Into the Dark: I’m Just F*cking with You’ is one of the series’ best Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Trump’s latest prop, a map of ISIS, gets memed Wednesday 12:54 PM
- HBO sends fans on a global scavenger hunt for 6 Iron Thrones Wednesday 11:51 AM
- The Awkward Family Photos game is Cards Against Humanity for meme lovers Wednesday 11:50 AM
- London firefighters’ organization accuses ‘Peppa Pig’ of sexism Wednesday 11:41 AM
- YouTuber accused of abusing her children to make kid-friendly content Wednesday 11:20 AM
- Ari Fleischer’s Iraq War tweet isn’t going over well Wednesday 10:54 AM
- Cop arrested for recording man’s genitals, forcing mentally ill man to twerk Wednesday 10:37 AM
A viral petition even demands Shaggy be included in Mortal Kombat 11.
The people have spoken, and they want Scooby-Doo’s Shaggy in Mortal Kombat 11.
There’s a petition going around demanding that the bumbling Scooby sidekick be added to the upcoming fighting game. It may sound nuts, but it’s actually totally in line with everything we’ve been seeing about Shaggy in the meme world recently. In short, Shaggy memes are blowing up.
The petition, which was started one day ago by the Woken News Network, has already amassed over 94,000 signatures with a goal of 150,000. In just 24 hours, it managed to earn around 58,700 signatures. Woken News is a meme-tactic website is full of Onion-like joke articles, such as this one about how the Big Bang was caused by Shaggy himself.
As far as the meme itself, it looks like the origin can be traced to some clever redditors commenting on Shaggy’s prowess in a street fight with some random thugs. When redditor muffler_kek commented “Like, you only made me use 10% of my power man” the comment received around 640 points, according to Know Your Meme. It was then that Shaggy was reborn as an all-powerful being that the internet knows to love and respect—because he might, like, erase you from existence otherwise, man.
From there, several more snowballed out of the silliness until it reached Chuck Norris-like levels of irony. Now, we’re seeing tons of memes around the internet portraying Shaggy as the omnipotent being he supposedly is. The jokes don’t stop. People want Shaggy. And they want him in Mortal Kombat 11 yesterday.
i really cant believe theres a petition to add shaggy from scooby doo to be a guest character on mortal kombat. what are they gonna make him do? throw scooby snacks?
— Mustafa (@mrmusss) January 28, 2019
Just found out there is legit a petition for adding Shaggy from Scooby Doo into Mortal Kombat 11. Not really a fan of the series, but you can bet I’ll buy it if I can KO people with Shaggy! #LikeWhoaScooby
— Matt Ronchak (@MRonchak) January 29, 2019
I'll only buy Mortal Kombat 11 if they actually add shaggy in a dlc #MortalKombat11
— Alex King (@Aoking98) January 29, 2019
Reminder that Shaggy getting into Mortal Kombat 11 is far more realistic than Goku ever, EVER getting in a Smash game
— GalacticAttorney (@GATheHype) January 29, 2019
Please put shaggy in mortal kombat.
— y'all heard of sharks? (@YourSharkGF) January 29, 2019
ya'll really wanna watch Shaggy get decapitated in Mortal Kombat, huh?
— Aaron Jason Espinoza (@TheAgentOfDoom) January 28, 2019
We want shaggy pic.twitter.com/LLSfQepfLT
— Iker De Gandiaga (@gandiaga_de) January 28, 2019
Shaggy Reveal? pic.twitter.com/KSFcls12qE
— dead account (@GunpukuNoHime17) January 28, 2019
Yo Mortal Kombat 11 looks great and all but it’d be better if you could play as Shaggy👀👀 pic.twitter.com/049RZb5Pti
— Rick (@hernichard) January 28, 2019
— Nikki Ashaka (@yuki_snow) January 28, 2019
Hi @noobde we the people humbly request Shaggy as a guest DLC character for Mortal Kombat 11.
Thank you for your time. pic.twitter.com/u8kzEj1YDw
— Plathanos 🐝🇩🇴 (@SavinTheBees) January 28, 2019
— Angelo Munji (@AngeloMunji) January 28, 2019
A souped-up Shaggy has even attracted the attention of actor Matthew Lillard, who portrayed Shaggy in the live-action Scooby-Doo films. Beyond that, there’s an entire subreddit dedicated to the jokes. It’s a phenomenon all its own, but despite the wildly enthusiastic public reaction, it’s safe to say at this point we’re not going to be seeing Shaggy as DLC for the violent upcoming fighter.
— matthew lillard (@MatthewLillard) January 27, 2019
Creator Ed Boon took to Twitter in response to the fans’ outcry for Shaggy, though it didn’t seem as though he was initially on board.
Let me know how that works out for you… https://t.co/0da0D4GJte
— Ed Boon (@noobde) January 28, 2019
But as the day crept on, it looked like even he was getting in on the fun. Even though he’s clearly just making jokes, if this could somehow happen, it sure would make a ton of fans happy.
Hi? Lo? Mid? Grab? I will mix your shit up in fighting games! pic.twitter.com/nzCq4iskj7
— Ed Boon (@noobde) January 28, 2019
As for seeing Shaggy wreck his opponents in gnarly Mortal Kombat brawls? We’d totally be into it. Zoinks!
Brittany Vincent has covered gaming, anime, tech, and entertainment for over a decade. When she’s not writing, she’s replaying Um Jammer Lammy or Day of the Tentacle for the hundredth time while pining for a Harvester sequel. Find her on Twitter @MolotovCupcake.