- Parent immediately regrets baby monitor after seeing ‘possessed’ baby 7 Months Ago
- Buttigieg used Kenyan stock photo to promote plan for Black America Today 2:29 PM
- Disney+ is the best streaming service for families available today Today 1:43 PM
- Netflix to amend Nazi docuseries after being accused of rewriting history Today 1:09 PM
- Everything you need to know about TikTok Today 1:00 PM
- Screaming drummer girl steals hearts with passionate Nirvana cover Today 12:50 PM
- The Kardashians receiving backlash for food fight Instagram post Today 10:26 AM
- How to stream Artem Lobov vs. Jason Knight in BKFC Today 9:00 AM
- Lizzo sued by Postmates runner she accused of stealing her food Today 8:39 AM
- How to stream Jan Blachowicz vs. Ronaldo ‘Jacare’ Souza on UFC Fight Night Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch Georgia vs. Auburn live Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Navy vs. Notre Dame live Today 3:30 AM
- The actor who played Greedo is just as confused by ‘maclunkey’ as you are Friday 4:57 PM
- AirPods are getting that sweet, sweet Black Friday price drop Friday 4:24 PM
- Looking for a Nintendo Switch? Black Friday deals are here Friday 4:04 PM
If you scream into a pot and quickly close its lid, does your scream get locked in until you remove the lid and unleash it to the world? The answer is no, but that hasn’t stopped a bunch of people on Twitter from trying it.
A Snapchat video that went viral on Twitter this week kicked off the trend. It shows a young woman leaning her face into a cooking pot, speedily covering the pot with a lid, and then uncovering it a moment later.
“OMG IF YOU SCREAM INTO A PAN AND COVER IT WHEN YOU UNCOVER IT YOU HEAR IT,” the caption says.
Indeed, a screen can be heard as the pot is uncovered—but whether it’s coming from the pot itself or off camera isn’t so clear (unless you have a basic understanding of how sound works).
EVERYONE TRY IT! pic.twitter.com/pdowcby6jx— Kev (@Kevin_Corona18) January 12, 2018
Luckily, 21-year-old Kevin Corona told the Daily Dot just how his girlfriend’s sister pulled off the trick.
“She actually screamed with her mouth closed and that’s the sound you hear when she opens the lid,” Corona said, adding that she got the idea from The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.
Interestingly, Corona posted his video back in January 2018. For some reason, it didn’t take off until this week, when it racked up more than 128,000 views—and lots of imitations.
oh damn, y’all just gotta be fast fast pic.twitter.com/Cadg3Bu4a3— jess (@jessicubs) April 30, 2019
Even someone’s pet bird tried it out.
I don’t think it worked, my mom just got mad af at my sister for yelling pic.twitter.com/b9J6gy23kd— LAALØØ (@LaaLoo_Tv) May 1, 2019
Even though Corona says the sudden attention to his video has been very “random,” he’s pretty amused by it, as are his girlfriend and her sister.
“I think the whole situation is funny and it’s funny seeing people trying to attempt yelling in a pot, to hear back the scream,” Corona said.
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.