- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Saturday 1:20 PM
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement Saturday 12:39 PM
- Hundreds of police officers belong to extremist Facebook groups, investigation finds Saturday 9:31 AM
- How to watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz online Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Late Night’ is a disappointing, tepid comedy Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Love It or List It’ for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup online for free Saturday 6:55 AM
- Borderlands 3 preview suggests the aging series can still hang with the cool kids Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream the 2019 College World Series for free Saturday 6:00 AM
- Police try to solve domestic violence by giving victims blunt kitchen knives Friday 5:40 PM
- Privacy activist Ola Bini detained for 2 months in Ecuador without charges Friday 5:01 PM
- Twitter says suspending ‘God’ for a pro-LGBTQ tweet was an ‘error’ Friday 4:14 PM
People are screaming into pots and closing the lid to see if their voice echoes back
If you scream into a pot and quickly close its lid, does your scream get locked in until you remove the lid and unleash it to the world? The answer is no, but that hasn’t stopped a bunch of people on Twitter from trying it.
A Snapchat video that went viral on Twitter this week kicked off the trend. It shows a young woman leaning her face into a cooking pot, speedily covering the pot with a lid, and then uncovering it a moment later.
“OMG IF YOU SCREAM INTO A PAN AND COVER IT WHEN YOU UNCOVER IT YOU HEAR IT,” the caption says.
Indeed, a screen can be heard as the pot is uncovered—but whether it’s coming from the pot itself or off camera isn’t so clear (unless you have a basic understanding of how sound works).
EVERYONE TRY IT! pic.twitter.com/pdowcby6jx
— Kev (@Kevin_Corona18) January 12, 2018
Luckily, 21-year-old Kevin Corona told the Daily Dot just how his girlfriend’s sister pulled off the trick.
“She actually screamed with her mouth closed and that’s the sound you hear when she opens the lid,” Corona said, adding that she got the idea from The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.
Interestingly, Corona posted his video back in January 2018. For some reason, it didn’t take off until this week, when it racked up more than 128,000 views—and lots of imitations.
oh damn, y’all just gotta be fast fast pic.twitter.com/Cadg3Bu4a3
— jess (@jessicubs) April 30, 2019
— f a n k l e z (@not_cheney) May 2, 2019
Even someone’s pet bird tried it out.
— Ambs🤪 (@Pr1ncessambs) May 1, 2019
— Ian (@stratford_ian) May 1, 2019
I don’t think it worked, my mom just got mad af at my sister for yelling pic.twitter.com/b9J6gy23kd
— LAALØØ (@LaaLoo_Tv) May 1, 2019
Even though Corona says the sudden attention to his video has been very “random,” he’s pretty amused by it, as are his girlfriend and her sister.
“I think the whole situation is funny and it’s funny seeing people trying to attempt yelling in a pot, to hear back the scream,” Corona said.
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.