- A police union is urging its officers to post ‘The Punisher’ logo Monday 7:33 PM
- Redditors call for a Nestlé boycott through memes Monday 6:16 PM
- How a 10-second Disney jingle became a meme in Thailand Monday 4:48 PM
- Instagram users share photos showing gruesome killing of 17-year-old Bianca Devins Monday 4:33 PM
- The horror game banned for mocking China’s president probably isn’t coming back Monday 3:31 PM
- Cheap vibrators, condoms, and lube: The most satisfying Amazon Prime Day deals Monday 3:07 PM
- George R.R. Martin says fan backlash won’t affect his ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Monday 3:03 PM
- The very finest Area 51 memes Monday 2:52 PM
- Tweet map ranks states where people are boycotting Amazon Prime Day Monday 1:54 PM
- Lil Nas X says he will perform at Area 51 for free Monday 12:56 PM
- The best Prime Day deals for gamers Monday 12:53 PM
- How Republicans are dancing around Trump’s racist tweets Monday 12:42 PM
- Not even anti-immigrant groups are defending Trump’s ‘go back’ tweets Monday 12:37 PM
- Netflix’s latest chase thriller ‘Point Blank’ lacks electricity Monday 12:27 PM
- Jay Inslee floats Megan Rapinoe as his secretary of state pick Monday 11:33 AM
People are screaming into pots and closing the lid to see if their voice echoes back
If you scream into a pot and quickly close its lid, does your scream get locked in until you remove the lid and unleash it to the world? The answer is no, but that hasn’t stopped a bunch of people on Twitter from trying it.
A Snapchat video that went viral on Twitter this week kicked off the trend. It shows a young woman leaning her face into a cooking pot, speedily covering the pot with a lid, and then uncovering it a moment later.
“OMG IF YOU SCREAM INTO A PAN AND COVER IT WHEN YOU UNCOVER IT YOU HEAR IT,” the caption says.
Indeed, a screen can be heard as the pot is uncovered—but whether it’s coming from the pot itself or off camera isn’t so clear (unless you have a basic understanding of how sound works).
EVERYONE TRY IT! pic.twitter.com/pdowcby6jx— Kev (@Kevin_Corona18) January 12, 2018
Luckily, 21-year-old Kevin Corona told the Daily Dot just how his girlfriend’s sister pulled off the trick.
“She actually screamed with her mouth closed and that’s the sound you hear when she opens the lid,” Corona said, adding that she got the idea from The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.
Interestingly, Corona posted his video back in January 2018. For some reason, it didn’t take off until this week, when it racked up more than 128,000 views—and lots of imitations.
oh damn, y’all just gotta be fast fast pic.twitter.com/Cadg3Bu4a3— jess (@jessicubs) April 30, 2019
Even someone’s pet bird tried it out.
I don’t think it worked, my mom just got mad af at my sister for yelling pic.twitter.com/b9J6gy23kd— LAALØØ (@LaaLoo_Tv) May 1, 2019
Even though Corona says the sudden attention to his video has been very “random,” he’s pretty amused by it, as are his girlfriend and her sister.
“I think the whole situation is funny and it’s funny seeing people trying to attempt yelling in a pot, to hear back the scream,” Corona said.
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.