- Every Studio Ghibli movie will stream exclusively on HBO Max 10 Months Ago
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 saw its highest viewer numbers yet 10 Months Ago
- ‘We vape, we vote’ movement insists it’s real in wake of bot reports 10 Months Ago
- Netflix will finally start cracking down on password sharing 10 Months Ago
- PSAT memes are back! This year on TikTok and amid College Board crackdown Today 11:20 AM
- Scotland grants pardons to men, trans women convicted under homophobic laws Today 10:45 AM
- Cole Carrigan again accuses Austin McBroom of sexual assault Today 9:58 AM
- Trump’s condolences for Elijah Cummings ripped apart Today 9:24 AM
- How to watch ‘Hocus Pocus’ right now Today 9:18 AM
- TikTok loves these 3 kids who kayak down concrete stairs Today 9:12 AM
- How to watch ‘Letterkenny’ season 7 Today 9:11 AM
- Trump’s attempt to mock Nancy Pelosi with a photo completely backfires Today 9:11 AM
- Yahoo is shuttering Yahoo Groups. Fandom will never be the same Today 8:44 AM
- Adam Driver livens up ‘The Report,’ Amazon’s grim docudrama about CIA torture Today 8:21 AM
- Underage Iowa man busted with ‘McLovin’ ID—and Seth Rogen is proud Today 8:05 AM
This Christmas, Twitter users aren’t taking a break from being horny on main. As most people went on break for the holidays, the men of Twitter bonded over being unafraid to moan during sex.
It seems like every user puts their own spin on the meme’s wording, but they all express some variation of, “You guys are scared to moan during sex? I’m in my girl’s ear like…” followed by a short video of some animal or human making a hilarious noise.
Men scared to moan.. I be in my girl ear like pic.twitter.com/9Luq9hkSy6— joey (@jodackblack) December 21, 2018
Y’all afraid to moan during sex?? I be in their ear like pic.twitter.com/k6etzLXNBL— the three kings’ thrussy (@FeelingFisky) December 22, 2018
y'all scared to moan? i be in my girl's ear like pic.twitter.com/ut4Kc8Szly— katie ☾ (@tofunochu) December 23, 2018
Users also posted variations that took clips from popular songs that could be interpreted sexually, such as singer Clare Tory’s wailing in Pink Floyd’s “The Great Gig in the Sky.” And because this is the internet, no meme is complete until somebody brings K-pop into it. Oh, and SpongeBob, of course.
dudes scared to moan in they girls ear... im in my girls ear like pic.twitter.com/Gwd7zph6Bo— pig man (@lvcifersam) December 22, 2018
dudes be out here be too scared to moan during sex...whole time I be in my girl’s ear like pic.twitter.com/C6NYQE0D25— han jisung love bot ♡ (@lshmv) December 23, 2018
Dudes really be scared to moan... while I’m in the girl’s ear like pic.twitter.com/Pdzl3Tdk6S— Donny D (@DTyink) December 21, 2018
While several people the Daily Dot spoke with claimed to be the meme’s originator, the earliest example can be traced back to Twitter user Brad Jordan, @504carsonst, on December 19. Jordan said he personally hadn’t seen the meme anywhere before he posted it. For him, though, it’s only the latest in a series of popular posts he’s had on the platform. For instance, his version of the “you vs. the guy she told you not to worry about” back in May racked up 230,000 likes.
“I’ve had several [memes] blow up so at this point. I just mute them immediately lol. It feels good to know people enjoy the content,” Jordan told the Daily Dot.
Dudes be too scared to moan during sex, whole time I’m in my girl ear like pic.twitter.com/SQwpo29scK— Brad Jordan (@504carsonst) December 19, 2018
While Jordan’s post received just over 700,000 views, the meme really gained traction with Twitter user Presley Snipes’ (@Flee_Wade) post the following day. Instead of a lynx screeching, the video shows a young man eating some kind of pastry and repeating the phrase “Muy bien”. It’s garnered nearly 3 million views and 165,000 likes.
niggas scared to moan.. i be in my girl ear like pic.twitter.com/GbO22IYbro— presley snipes (@Flee_Wade) December 20, 2018
While not exactly the same, the “scared to moan” meme could have its roots in similar posts that span back to July. The most popular example has 5,000 retweets, but uses a longer set-up: “Her: I love when guys aren’t scared to moan. Me:”
her: i love when guys aren’t scared to moan— max (@gurlthatsmax) December 16, 2018
Her: I love when guys aren’t scared to moan— ️️Self-Made (@ChoBeezy) July 21, 2018
Even as a joke, it’s refreshing to see so many guys embrace their sexuality on social media. Men are predominantly portrayed in media as stoic providers, both in and out of the bedroom. Women, on the other hand, are shown as so gratuitously loud during sex that it’s become a tell-tale trope of bad pornos.
With our culture’s history of toxic masculinity disparaging anything related to women, it’s no wonder guys don’t want to voice their own pleasure. Maybe now with so many owning the sounds they make during sex—both the sensual and the awkward alike—dudes can go into the new year ready to let their freak flag fly.
Alyse Stanley is a video game and culture reporter based in Virginia with words at Polygon and USGamer. When she’s not writing about memes, she edits Unwinnable’s monthly magazine. You can follow her on Twitter @pithyalyse.