- Samuel L. Jackson roasts ‘Spider-Man’ marketing gaffe 6 Months Ago
- Trump cites long-dead ayatollah while announcing Iran sanction 6 Months Ago
- Why a far-right conspiracy about Ilhan Omar is in the news again Today 7:46 AM
- Razer publicly shames female influencer who tweeted about being sexually harassed Today 7:45 AM
- You can now perform Marvel plays with your school theater group Today 6:54 AM
- Trans/Sex: Strap-ons for trans women, inclusive porn games, and online dating Today 6:30 AM
- Why UFC 239 may be the PPV event of the year Today 6:00 AM
- Twitter lifts ‘permanent’ suspension of activist Barrett Brown Monday 5:52 PM
- Billie Eilish fans fend off objectifying comments on tank top photo Monday 5:32 PM
- Groom’s mother sabotages wedding by tricking guests into wearing jorts and hoodies Monday 4:39 PM
- No one believes Bill de Blasio’s son sent him these debate prep texts Monday 3:26 PM
- Meek Mill, Jay-Z to release ‘Free Meek’ documentary on Amazon Prime Monday 3:20 PM
- 3 ways to secure your Nest cameras Monday 3:15 PM
- This Pokémon generator site is creating hilarious monsters Monday 2:48 PM
- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox Monday 12:50 PM
Turn your sound on for these memes.
This Christmas, Twitter users aren’t taking a break from being horny on main. As most people went on break for the holidays, the men of Twitter bonded over being unafraid to moan during sex.
It seems like every user puts their own spin on the meme’s wording, but they all express some variation of, “You guys are scared to moan during sex? I’m in my girl’s ear like…” followed by a short video of some animal or human making a hilarious noise.
Men scared to moan.. I be in my girl ear like pic.twitter.com/9Luq9hkSy6
— joey (@jodackblack) December 21, 2018
Y’all afraid to moan during sex?? I be in their ear like pic.twitter.com/k6etzLXNBL
— the three kings’ thrussy (@FeelingFisky) December 22, 2018
y'all scared to moan? i be in my girl's ear like pic.twitter.com/ut4Kc8Szly
— katie ☾ (@tofunochu) December 23, 2018
Users also posted variations that took clips from popular songs that could be interpreted sexually, such as singer Clare Tory’s wailing in Pink Floyd’s “The Great Gig in the Sky.” And because this is the internet, no meme is complete until somebody brings K-pop into it. Oh, and SpongeBob, of course.
dudes scared to moan in they girls ear… im in my girls ear like pic.twitter.com/Gwd7zph6Bo
— pig man (@lvcifersam) December 22, 2018
dudes be out here be too scared to moan during sex…whole time I be in my girl’s ear like pic.twitter.com/C6NYQE0D25
— han jisung love bot ♡ (@lshmv) December 23, 2018
Dudes really be scared to moan… while I’m in the girl’s ear like pic.twitter.com/Pdzl3Tdk6S
— Donny D (@DTyink) December 21, 2018
While several people the Daily Dot spoke with claimed to be the meme’s originator, the earliest example can be traced back to Twitter user Brad Jordan, @504carsonst, on December 19. Jordan said he personally hadn’t seen the meme anywhere before he posted it. For him, though, it’s only the latest in a series of popular posts he’s had on the platform. For instance, his version of the “you vs. the guy she told you not to worry about” back in May racked up 230,000 likes.
“I’ve had several [memes] blow up so at this point. I just mute them immediately lol. It feels good to know people enjoy the content,” Jordan told the Daily Dot.
Dudes be too scared to moan during sex, whole time I’m in my girl ear like pic.twitter.com/SQwpo29scK
— Brad Jordan (@504carsonst) December 19, 2018
While Jordan’s post received just over 700,000 views, the meme really gained traction with Twitter user Presley Snipes’ (@Flee_Wade) post the following day. Instead of a lynx screeching, the video shows a young man eating some kind of pastry and repeating the phrase “Muy bien”. It’s garnered nearly 3 million views and 165,000 likes.
niggas scared to moan.. i be in my girl ear like pic.twitter.com/GbO22IYbro
— presley snipes (@Flee_Wade) December 20, 2018
While not exactly the same, the “scared to moan” meme could have its roots in similar posts that span back to July. The most popular example has 5,000 retweets, but uses a longer set-up: “Her: I love when guys aren’t scared to moan. Me:”
her: i love when guys aren’t scared to moan
— max 🥀 (@gurlthatsmax) December 16, 2018
Her: I love when guys aren’t scared to moan
— ️️Self-Made (@ChoBeezy) July 21, 2018
Even as a joke, it’s refreshing to see so many guys embrace their sexuality on social media. Men are predominantly portrayed in media as stoic providers, both in and out of the bedroom. Women, on the other hand, are shown as so gratuitously loud during sex that it’s become a tell-tale trope of bad pornos.
With our culture’s history of toxic masculinity disparaging anything related to women, it’s no wonder guys don’t want to voice their own pleasure. Maybe now with so many owning the sounds they make during sex—both the sensual and the awkward alike—dudes can go into the new year ready to let their freak flag fly.
Alyse Stanley is a video game and culture reporter based in Virginia with words at Polygon and USGamer. When she’s not writing about memes, she edits Unwinnable’s monthly magazine. You can follow her on Twitter @pithyalyse.