- Influencer got trapped under ice for TikTok clout, ‘came close to dying’ Thursday 7:59 PM
- #BernieBruh puts new spin on ‘Bernie Bro’ label, showcases support among Black voters Thursday 6:58 PM
- Camila María Concepcíon, trans activist and Netflix writer, dies at 28 Thursday 5:46 PM
- Chrissy Teigen calls out fan who made weird comment about her daughter’s feet Thursday 4:57 PM
- TikTok’s ‘clean queen’ says videos are helping her figure out ‘adulting’ Thursday 4:12 PM
- Clearview clients include ICE, Macy’s, Best Buy, leaked data reveals Thursday 4:08 PM
- Women are clamoring to get their photos on a Twitter feed of ‘hot mugshots’ Thursday 4:06 PM
- ‘Love Is Blind’ finale: Somehow, real love emerged from this dystopian setting Thursday 3:57 PM
- Creator of ‘Say So’ TikTok dance appears in Doja Cat music video Thursday 3:51 PM
- Is TikTok’s algorithm actually pretty racist? Thursday 3:45 PM
- Fans freaking out over ‘Say My Name’ horror remix featured in Jordan Peele’s ‘Candyman’ Thursday 3:33 PM
- CDC graphic warns most facial hair isn’t compatible with coronavirus protection measures Thursday 1:31 PM
- Tutoring website refuses to take down ad sexualizing Asian women Thursday 1:24 PM
- MSNBC pundit loses air time after saying Sanders staffers are ‘island of misfit Black girls’ Thursday 12:36 PM
- Court says YouTube isn’t subject to First Amendment scrutiny Thursday 11:06 AM
The role of the Joker has had numerous actors, from the late Heath Ledger to Suicide Squad‘s Jared Leto. Our latest contender is none other than actor Joaquin Phoenix, who plays the titular character in the upcoming Joker.
While many comic book fans are excited about the film, Uproxx reported Wednesday that many others aren’t so thrilled. Reddit and Twitter users are creating memes to poke fun at the movie’s premise. One, in particular, gives a throwback to another meme-worthy superhero movie.
‘Peter Parker dancing with the Joker’ meme
Peter Parker and The Joker dancing in HD (re-edited and upscaled at 4072x2036px) from MemeTemplatesOfficial
In it the viral meme that’s making waves on Reddit, Phoenix’s joker dances alongside Tobey Maguire’s Spider-Man, aka “Emo Spider-Man” from the infamous Spider-Man 3 film.
The pre-film concerns come from individuals who feel uneasy about the character’s portrayal. The character is a disenfranchised white man who turns violent against a society that has rejected him. Time magazine didn’t hold back in its online review. Time refers to Phoenix’s Joker as “the patron saint of incels.” Some Twitter users even took screenshots of the Joker and compared it to that cringy dance scene from Spider-Man 3.
every time i see this shot from joker i think of this scene from spider-man 3. so that’s how i feel about that pic.twitter.com/bNvJNFlNw7— malice 🐊 (@galifianapkins) September 3, 2019
Correction, no way anything in Joker is worse than the Emo Peter Parker dance on Spider-Man 3 pic.twitter.com/MK4E3hq0T8— Anthony Canzonetta (@aacanzonetta) August 30, 2019
Meanwhile, hardcore fans are defending the film, thinking others are over-reacting at a movie that hasn’t been fully released yet. They also cited that, so far, Joker has received mostly favorable reviews, even earning an 83% on Rotten Tomatoes.
However, if there’s one thing we can count on to unite the fans and non-fans alike, it’s memes.
Joker will release in the U.S. on Oct. 4. Whether you’re looking forward to or dreading the release to this movie, the online discourse and reviews to come in during the next month will be both enlightening and hilarious.
They're groovin from dankmemes
Until then, let’s keep the Joker and Spidey memes coming.
Alex is a recent graduate of the journalism school at the University of Texas at Austin. She has written for the Texas Observer, the Austin Chronicle, KUT, and ORANGE Magazine.