- What were these QAnon fans doing posing at Guantanamo Bay? 2 Years Ago
- How to watch the 2019 NBA Draft online for free 2 Years Ago
- Ta-Nehisi Coates dismantles Mitch McConnell’s anti-reparations argument Wednesday 7:52 PM
- Whoopi Goldberg stirs debate over her opinion regarding Bella Thorne’s nudes Wednesday 7:04 PM
- Joe Biden really, really hates raves Wednesday 6:02 PM
- RIP to the Twitter geotagging feature that no one actually used Wednesday 5:14 PM
- Facebook contractors reveal the horrors of moderating graphic content Wednesday 4:42 PM
- Prosecutor almost directly quoted Bible in trial against man who helped migrants Wednesday 4:05 PM
- TikTok’s time warp videos get it twisted Wednesday 4:03 PM
- Is a ‘Stranger Things’ and Fortnite crossover event going to happen? Wednesday 3:55 PM
- YouTube reportedly thinking about moving all kids content off the main site Wednesday 3:50 PM
- AOC calls out Democrats for tone-deaf Beyoncé tweet Wednesday 3:15 PM
- Democrat candidates come out as ‘wife guys’ Wednesday 2:45 PM
- Poll of best Batman actors fails to include Adam West, and fans are not happy Wednesday 2:25 PM
- ‘Pose’ producer Janet Mock lands historic Netflix deal Wednesday 1:54 PM
This meme is one thicc bih.
The sound of June 2017 is a little jam called “One Thicc Bih,” an inescapable meme that you won’t be able to stop singing once it gets inside you head. Which is messed up, because it’s all about how thicc and sexy Mr. Krabs from Spongebob Squarepants is. Oh no? Oh yes.
“One thicc bih” was created using an app called Ditty.it, which converts the text of your choice into singing. And two weeks ago, the text dolce-dandy on Tumblr chose was “Mr. Krabs is one thicc bih / let me see that krussy.”
Good lord. Quick breakdown of the message here, in case these words mean nothing to you: “thicc” describes someone with a pleasantly curvy body and a big butt, “bih” is just “bitch” without the negative connotations, and a “krussy” is…
Well, there’s a trend in gay slang—kind of played out, at this point—of referring to the anus as the “bussy,” or “boy pussy.” So Mr. Krabs’ butt is a … krussy, I guess.
But “One Thicc Bih” didn’t stop with Mr. Krabs. Not by a longshot. People want to see horror movie icon The Babadook’s “babussy”:
this physically hurt to make pic.twitter.com/xwP8ogaDNV
— alexis (@lgbthansolo) June 5, 2017
And this big tuna is one thicc bih too:
THIS TUNA IS ONE THICC BIH pic.twitter.com/p8ASlT5guf
— 카이 (@pinkjisooo) June 6, 2017
So are Wario, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Bubble Bass:
The original song is called “Good Day,” by Flash Garments and produced by J. Mac. It’s been deleted from J. Mac’s Soundcloud since being included in Ditty, but there’s still a version on YouTube:
The female lead vocals aren’t on the original track, they’re added in by ditty.it. So, J. Mac and whoever the singer is have a hit on their hands, but they might not even know it.
“One Thicc Bih” is legitimately going crazy on Twitter and Tumblr. It’s everywhere, and no one can stop singing it. It’s literally keeping people up at night.
I have watched this so many times. I had dreams about this video. I sang this in the shower. Bubble Bass is truly one thicc bih.
— kiah (@kiwidawne) June 7, 2017
4:50am and i can't stop thinking about how mr. krabs is one thicc bih
— razor (@overreact) June 7, 2017
2:47 am and i can't stop thinking about how mr. krabs is one thicc bih
— angelica (@awksangelica) June 6, 2017
i can't stop making those "___ is one thicc bih" videos omg
— b (@problemactic) June 7, 2017
“One thicc bih” has everything: a good joke, a format that’s easy to replicate using only an app, and a melody that just won’t die. I’m calling it right now: this is the meme, and the hit single, of the summer.
This song is one thicc meme, let me see that memussy.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.