- YouTubers keep uploading racist meme anthem played by New Zealand shooter Monday 5:38 PM
- Myspace confirms that a decade-plus of user-uploaded music is gone Monday 5:03 PM
- ‘Love, Death & Robots’ suffers from blatant sexism Monday 4:38 PM
- Khloe Kardashian faces backlash for Instagram post saying to ‘love thy racist neighbor’ Monday 4:07 PM
- This Twitter user wants to expose white YouTubers for racist, transphobic content Monday 3:55 PM
- Trump retweeted a QAnon supporter during his Twitter bender Monday 1:24 PM
- Katrina Pierson supports Trump tweeting more about Fox than New Zealand shooting Monday 1:19 PM
- PewDiePie’s alt-right ties are impossible to ignore Monday 1:05 PM
- With this blade, I protect this meme Monday 12:48 PM
- Lead actress in ‘The Color Purple’ revival criticized for homophobic post Monday 12:39 PM
- ‘Arrested Development’ ends the same way it did the first time—unceremoniously Monday 12:10 PM
- Alleged gunman tried to rob YouTuber Adam22 during livestream Monday 11:32 AM
- Turkish president used New Zealand shooting footage at campaign rallies Monday 11:09 AM
- 8 adorable tea infusers that will warm you with cuteness Monday 10:26 AM
- The Super Nintendo Pro is the wireless controller of your dreams Monday 10:25 AM
Olympic horse dances to ‘Smooth’ by Santana ft. Rob Thomas of Matchbox Twenty
Somehow, this didn’t win a medal.
That is indeed a “German-bred warmblood horse” named Lorenzo performing to an orchestral medley arrangement that includes both “Smooth” by Santana ft. Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20 and Bon Jovi’s “It’s My Life”—said life being one of top-tier competition to the sizzling guitar licks of “Smooth” by Santana ft. Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20.
Given that the triple-Grammy-award-winning 1999 Latin fusion hit single has enjoyed a second life as a not-all-that-ironic meme of late, it will surprise you not at all that people fairly lost their shit.
If you just missed a horse dancing to smooth by Santana and rob Thomas you basically missed the entire Olympics just move on to the next one
— pepper brooks (@Utah_getme_2) August 15, 2016
BREAKING: The IOC has awarded the horse who danced to “Smooth” then Bon Jovi the gold horse medal for best horse musical opinions
— Rodger Sherman (@rodger_sherman) August 15, 2016
Watching a Horse dance to Smooth by Santana and it’s probably the best thing I’ve ever seen on a TV ever.
— Jonathan J Simmons (@jjsimmo) August 15, 2016
cant stop thinking about the smooth horse
— Becca Laurie, PI (@imbeccable) August 15, 2016
Yet, while everyone agreed that Lorenzo’s routine was a hot one—he gave us his heart, made it real—he and rider Severo Jesus Jurado Lopez placed fourth, falling just shy of a medal for Spain, Santana, Rob Thomas, and awesome horses everywhere. The Olympics are a joke.
Neither Carlos Santana nor Rob Thomas have publicly commented on this athletic atrocity, but it goes without saying that either would give their world to lift Lorenzo up, would change their life to better suit his mood.
Because he’s so smooth.
Miles Klee is a novelist and web culture reporter. The former editor of the Daily Dot’s Unclick section, Klee’s essays, satire, and fiction have appeared in Lapham’s Quarterly, Vanity Fair, 3:AM, Salon, the Awl, the New York Observer, the Millions, and the Village Voice. He's the author of two odd books of fiction, 'Ivyland' and 'True False.'