- Lyft received a whopping 7 sexual assault lawsuits in a day Wednesday 10:00 PM
- High school reopens investigation into Nazi salute video after other racist videos emerge Wednesday 7:14 PM
- Facebook content moderators continue to suffer from brutal working conditions Wednesday 5:58 PM
- #RIPReese: Man bullied for relationship with trans woman dies by suicide Wednesday 4:46 PM
- Redaction error reveals ICE is paying Palantir $49 million Wednesday 4:25 PM
- People are using social media to raise awareness about the Amazon fires Wednesday 4:24 PM
- How to watch ‘Detective Pikachu’ right now Wednesday 3:56 PM
- Walmart is suing Tesla over fires at stores with solar panels Wednesday 3:44 PM
- Jeremy Renner asks nicely for Sony to let Spider-Man back in the MCU Wednesday 2:51 PM
- The best and safest torrenting sites you should be using in 2019 Wednesday 2:47 PM
- ‘Beyoncé’s Assistant for a Day’ creator is releasing more games on storytelling app Yarn Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Why does everyone keep falling for that Instagram and Facebook hoax? Wednesday 1:46 PM
- A bunch of celebrities fell for that viral Instagram hoax Wednesday 1:17 PM
- Former Die Antwoord crew member says video shows ‘homophobic attack’ Wednesday 1:13 PM
- How to stream all the MLS Rivalry Week matches Wednesday 1:13 PM
Yesterday, the iconic Ken Doll got a 2017 refurbishment, an effort by Mattel to bring the doll into the mainstream. Out was the classic, 1950 country club look, and in was something more resembling the dudes you find swiping on Tinder. The new Ken Doll got a meme makeover to match.
Man Bun Ken especially struck a chord. Almost immediately after he debuted, he earned comparisons to Bernie bros, vape kings, and fuccbois all over Brooklyn.
Do u wanna meet at Whole Foods? pic.twitter.com/FaPMNSMB8o— sad gemini (@WithALittleJazz) June 21, 2017
"Why do you have to make everything about race what about class?" pic.twitter.com/rO21K6W6Fp— Mia McKenzie (@miamckenzie) June 21, 2017
this new ken doll is from philly and owns about 600 guitar pedals pic.twitter.com/vk8GgykpsR— James Cassar (@getcerebral) June 21, 2017
get back to me when the Ken doll has a mane of crumb-filled chest hair and a small gut from the cheeseburgers we just ate on the beach— ANTHONY OLIVEIRA (@meakoopa) June 21, 2017
That new Ken doll has already ignored 2 of my texts while still liking my Instagram posts.— Alison Leiby (@AlisonLeiby) June 20, 2017
Man-bun Ken doll just interrupted me to tell me that Bernie would have won. pic.twitter.com/Mnu8pAXV7F— summer goth (@NicCageMatch) June 20, 2017
Does man bun Ken doll also come with a Soul Cycle membership, vintage record player, and $50,000 in student loan debt? pic.twitter.com/ulEwGSxxb1— Emily Jashinsky (@emilyjashinsky) June 20, 2017
Does the new man bun Ken doll also come with a tiny vape? pic.twitter.com/OoBf1mDRTA— Lord Single Malt (@Singlemaltfiend) June 20, 2017
Man Bun Ken has a few notes on the creative. pic.twitter.com/OkcZpIGeCo— R/GA (@RGA) June 21, 2017
Man Bun Ken wasn’t the only one the internet had thoughts about, however. The new blonde Ken, Twitter supposed, may have had a little alt-right in him.
"I just think no one should be able to say it..." pic.twitter.com/hxEAABW6zg— Shadow Goon (@MiQL) June 21, 2017
this ken doll wants to know why there's no white history month pic.twitter.com/LISGhbv6qZ— the blowout (@theblowout) June 20, 2017
Really, though, none of them were above reproach.
Really, what did Mattel expect would happen?
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]