- Influencer accused of selling shirt she was supposed to promote Tuesday 8:42 PM
- Jameela Jamil dragged for comparing reproductive rights to landlord rights Tuesday 6:54 PM
- Trump campaign posts Thanos meme, totally misses point of ‘Endgame’ Tuesday 5:58 PM
- Petition calls for Apple to make a Baby Yoda emoji Tuesday 5:16 PM
- This BTS-Billie Eilish mashup is the most popular tweet of 2019 Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Michelle Wolf embraces vulgarity in ‘Joke Show’ Tuesday 4:24 PM
- Influencer gets 14 years in prison for trying to steal domain name at gunpoint Tuesday 4:14 PM
- ‘Three Days of Christmas’ is a delightfully dark holiday alternative to Hallmark Tuesday 3:55 PM
- The way Trump Jr. holds his own book inspires mockery Tuesday 3:47 PM
- Woman facing backlash for no longer wearing hijab in end of the decade photo Tuesday 3:16 PM
- Report: Consulting firm lied about decreasing violence at Rikers Island jail Tuesday 2:36 PM
- TikTok users are sharing things they thought were ‘ghetto’ as kids Tuesday 2:31 PM
- Republicans just blocked a net neutrality vote in the Senate Tuesday 2:24 PM
- ‘Fox & Friends’ host stuck using dad’s account after Twitter suspension Tuesday 1:10 PM
- ‘They’ is Merriam-Webster’s word of the year Tuesday 12:56 PM
Yesterday, the iconic Ken Doll got a 2017 refurbishment, an effort by Mattel to bring the doll into the mainstream. Out was the classic, 1950 country club look, and in was something more resembling the dudes you find swiping on Tinder. The new Ken Doll got a meme makeover to match.
Man Bun Ken especially struck a chord. Almost immediately after he debuted, he earned comparisons to Bernie bros, vape kings, and fuccbois all over Brooklyn.
Do u wanna meet at Whole Foods? pic.twitter.com/FaPMNSMB8o— sad gemini (@WithALittleJazz) June 21, 2017
"Why do you have to make everything about race what about class?" pic.twitter.com/rO21K6W6Fp— Mia McKenzie (@miamckenzie) June 21, 2017
this new ken doll is from philly and owns about 600 guitar pedals pic.twitter.com/vk8GgykpsR— James Cassar (@getcerebral) June 21, 2017
get back to me when the Ken doll has a mane of crumb-filled chest hair and a small gut from the cheeseburgers we just ate on the beach— ANTHONY OLIVEIRA (@meakoopa) June 21, 2017
That new Ken doll has already ignored 2 of my texts while still liking my Instagram posts.— Alison Leiby (@AlisonLeiby) June 20, 2017
Man-bun Ken doll just interrupted me to tell me that Bernie would have won. pic.twitter.com/Mnu8pAXV7F— summer goth (@NicCageMatch) June 20, 2017
Does man bun Ken doll also come with a Soul Cycle membership, vintage record player, and $50,000 in student loan debt? pic.twitter.com/ulEwGSxxb1— Emily Jashinsky (@emilyjashinsky) June 20, 2017
Does the new man bun Ken doll also come with a tiny vape? pic.twitter.com/OoBf1mDRTA— Lord Single Malt (@Singlemaltfiend) June 20, 2017
Man Bun Ken has a few notes on the creative. pic.twitter.com/OkcZpIGeCo— R/GA (@RGA) June 21, 2017
Man Bun Ken wasn’t the only one the internet had thoughts about, however. The new blonde Ken, Twitter supposed, may have had a little alt-right in him.
"I just think no one should be able to say it..." pic.twitter.com/hxEAABW6zg— Shadow Goon (@MiQL) June 21, 2017
this ken doll wants to know why there's no white history month pic.twitter.com/LISGhbv6qZ— the blowout (@theblowout) June 20, 2017
Really, though, none of them were above reproach.
Really, what did Mattel expect would happen?
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]