- Trump accuses Jewish Democrats of having ‘great disloyalty’ or a ‘lack of knowledge’ Tuesday 8:02 PM
- 1 million ‘anonymous’ users of popular porn site exposed in breach Tuesday 6:56 PM
- Khloé Kardashian angers followers with a calorie-counting joke about True Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Spider-Man may no longer be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tuesday 5:28 PM
- Robert De Niro’s company is suing ex-employee for binge-watching Netflix at work Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Intentionally misgendering a character could get you banned from Borderlands 3 Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Facebook pulls Trump re-election ad for targeting ‘strong women’ Tuesday 4:03 PM
- Kamala Harris says she will restore net neutrality if elected Tuesday 3:16 PM
- All 8 of the ‘Rocky’ movies, ranked Tuesday 2:50 PM
- Everything you need to know about the Facebook conservative bias report Tuesday 2:35 PM
- Study links emoji use to more sex Tuesday 2:10 PM
- The chicken sandwich war is in full throttle on Twitter Tuesday 1:47 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sextuplets’ proves Marlon Wayans is no Eddie Murphy—or even Mike Myers Tuesday 1:31 PM
- Facebook is finally rolling out its clear history tool Tuesday 1:13 PM
- ‘Theater etiquette’ tweets surge after YouTuber cast in ‘Waitress’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
#NationalNutMonth isn’t going exactly as planned
‘Nut’ means something else on the internet.
October is a very special month for a lot of very special reasons. But there’s one reason in particular that puts the tenth month of our calendar year head and shoulders (or whatever position you please!) above the rest. It’s something hiding in plain sight, that you probably do on the regular.
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to National Nut Month.
One must presume that when the National Peanut Board declared it #NationalNutMonth and told people to “take the month off,” they meant “clear out your schedule to nosh on nuts.” But this is the internet, a place for porn, and the home of nut and succ alike.
People are trying to nut here. They look up adult videos by the millions and make memes about oral sex more often than they wax poetic on brands like Planters and Diamond. So, they responded to the National Peanut Board as you’d expect.
Since some brilliant social media guru made #NationalNutMonth a hashtag, the campaign’s taken off in some unlikely places. Look how thrilled the George Washington Carver National Monument is about nutting!
Dude was a nut pioneer, nutting every damn day. What a legend. And just look at Diamond nutting all over this wood grain way back in 2014. Who would’ve thought National Nut Month would take off like this?
Looks like the nutspirations are bigger than ever this year. Way to go, National Peanut Board!
The Daily Dot reached out to the National Peanut Board expecting to receive a flashy press release and a SFW statement. Instead, a spokesperson sent an automated out of office message. They probably took some time off to, you know, nut—just as October intended.
Keep on nuttin’, y’all.
A former Weekend Editor at the Daily Dot, April Siese's reporting covers everything from technology and politics to web culture and humor. Her work has been published by Bustle, Uproxx, Death and Taxes, Rolling Stone, the Daily Beast, Thrillist, Atlas Obscura, and others. Siese joined Quartz in December 2016.