- The trailer for the final episodes of ‘Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt’ is here Today 1:52 AM
- Guy gets roasted for throwing razor in the toilet to protest Gillette Wednesday 9:23 PM
- Experts warn of uptick in ‘Ryuk’ ransomware after hackers net $3.7 million Wednesday 7:03 PM
- Video game composer boycotts Gillette after anti-toxic masculinity ad Wednesday 6:05 PM
- Steve Carell sitcom ‘Space Force’ heading to Netflix Wednesday 5:30 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘run train’ phrase becomes conservative sex controversy Wednesday 5:25 PM
- ‘Into’ is a reminder that queer businesses can be hurt by straight leaders Wednesday 5:13 PM
- TSA agents are the latest tool in the government shutdown meme war Wednesday 4:22 PM
- YouTube still hosting bestiality images year after crackdown pledge Wednesday 4:13 PM
- YouTuber quits fight after Darth Vader fan film claimed by Disney Wednesday 3:26 PM
- Millions of Fortnite accounts exposed via Epic Games website exploit Wednesday 2:26 PM
- A man found a camera in his Airbnb and the company didn’t seem to care Wednesday 2:00 PM
- A redditor planted an Easter egg in Hulu’s Fyre Fest doc Wednesday 1:51 PM
- This new revelation about Woody from ‘Toy Story’ will blow your mind Wednesday 1:35 PM
- Dave Rubin fails to delete Patreon on livestream to delete Patreon Wednesday 1:14 PM
Star Wars meets Nine Inch Nails in this GIF mashup.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
You’re a broody, headstrong youth growing up with boring yet perfectly nice relatives in Buttfuck, Nowhere. You spend your days doing chores on the farm and, when you can, slipping away to blast whomp rats with your best pal. You meet someone. You leave home. Shit happens. You find out the Dark Lord of the Empire is your father.
Who among us hasn’t lived this nightmare? Just ask Joseph Campbell.
Emo, my friends, isn’t a culture; it’s a phase lasting about five years if you’re lucky, 20 if you’ve got the money to indulge yourself long after everyone else has stopped. And emo crossed with epic equals Star Wars. Emo crossed with industrial equals Nine Inch Nails. And now, together again for the first time, we present a photoset from Sith Lords Are Our Specialty which unites them in GIF awesomeness for all time and space. The lyrics from Nine Inch Nails’ wrenching “Hurt” are paired with the characters from Star Wars, specifically the later, more mortifying ones because … feels. There’s certainly more for George Lucas to be embarrassed about in these films than the first three—Jar Jar, for instance.
“Hurt” is a song about pain, a song so raw that when Johnny Cash covered it, felons knelt and cried. The Old Masters-like YouTube of his performance has had 53,114,811 views since 2005. In the later Star Wars films, we find out that poor Luke was destined to be a whiny brat: Mom is beautiful and doomed, and Dad is way emo. Poor kid never stood a chance.
This GIF photoset has had 6,313 notes on Tumblr since its uploading March 14. We’d bet that about 1,000 of them are Luke, reblogging and reblogging the reblogs through the tears, tagging each “GPOY.”
GIF set via Sith Lords Are Our Specialty
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.