- CLIF Bar and KIND Snacks are in a bizarre social media war Today 2:55 PM
- Caillou is how tall? Today 1:32 PM
- No, that video of a Boston Dynamics robot attacking its creators is not real Today 12:40 PM
- Alex Jones places $1 million bounty on culprit who planted child porn on his InfoWars server Today 12:03 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ star’s new Netflix prank show is receiving backlash Today 9:04 AM
- How to watch ‘City on a Hill’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Euphoria’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- Meet the home brewer turning beer into a case for net neutrality Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Chile at the World Cup for free Today 6:15 AM
- 15 teen movies on Netflix that will make you laugh, cry, and cringe Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Estrella TV online for free Today 5:00 AM
- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Saturday 1:20 PM
Star Wars meets Nine Inch Nails in this GIF mashup.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
You’re a broody, headstrong youth growing up with boring yet perfectly nice relatives in Buttfuck, Nowhere. You spend your days doing chores on the farm and, when you can, slipping away to blast whomp rats with your best pal. You meet someone. You leave home. Shit happens. You find out the Dark Lord of the Empire is your father.
Who among us hasn’t lived this nightmare? Just ask Joseph Campbell.
Emo, my friends, isn’t a culture; it’s a phase lasting about five years if you’re lucky, 20 if you’ve got the money to indulge yourself long after everyone else has stopped. And emo crossed with epic equals Star Wars. Emo crossed with industrial equals Nine Inch Nails. And now, together again for the first time, we present a photoset from Sith Lords Are Our Specialty which unites them in GIF awesomeness for all time and space. The lyrics from Nine Inch Nails’ wrenching “Hurt” are paired with the characters from Star Wars, specifically the later, more mortifying ones because … feels. There’s certainly more for George Lucas to be embarrassed about in these films than the first three—Jar Jar, for instance.
“Hurt” is a song about pain, a song so raw that when Johnny Cash covered it, felons knelt and cried. The Old Masters-like YouTube of his performance has had 53,114,811 views since 2005. In the later Star Wars films, we find out that poor Luke was destined to be a whiny brat: Mom is beautiful and doomed, and Dad is way emo. Poor kid never stood a chance.
This GIF photoset has had 6,313 notes on Tumblr since its uploading March 14. We’d bet that about 1,000 of them are Luke, reblogging and reblogging the reblogs through the tears, tagging each “GPOY.”
GIF set via Sith Lords Are Our Specialty
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.