- In Netflix’s ‘Upstarts,’ Silicon Valley CEOs are the good guys Today 4:35 PM
- This video of a tree struck by lightning is… relatable? Today 4:13 PM
- How to watch ‘Keeping Faith’ Today 3:37 PM
- ‘South Park’ at the center of $500 million streaming war Today 3:16 PM
- Pizza Hut and Papa John’s employees pranked into talking to each other on the phone Today 2:34 PM
- Twitter bullies brought Jordan Peterson to tears Today 2:24 PM
- 25 last-minute Halloween costumes for those with no time to shop Today 1:30 PM
- Krassensteins return to Twitter and are immediately suspended Today 1:01 PM
- Tom Brady insists he didn’t parody Robert Kraft in ‘Living with Yourself’ cameo Today 12:52 PM
- Black security guard fired for telling student not to call him the N-word Today 12:38 PM
- How Watchmen’s Bass Reeves cameo ties into the original comic Today 12:34 PM
- Todrick Hall’s former assistant blasts him for abuse, non-payment, dissing Taylor Swift Today 12:32 PM
- Maggie Rogers calls out catcaller at Austin concert Today 12:12 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Unnatural Selection’ breaks down the pros and cons of biohacking Today 11:52 AM
- Did Trump flip off astronauts from the all-women spacewalk? Today 11:45 AM
The Morning GIF: Luke Skywalker’s “Hurt”
Star Wars meets Nine Inch Nails in this GIF mashup.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
You’re a broody, headstrong youth growing up with boring yet perfectly nice relatives in Buttfuck, Nowhere. You spend your days doing chores on the farm and, when you can, slipping away to blast whomp rats with your best pal. You meet someone. You leave home. Shit happens. You find out the Dark Lord of the Empire is your father.
Who among us hasn’t lived this nightmare? Just ask Joseph Campbell.
Emo, my friends, isn’t a culture; it’s a phase lasting about five years if you’re lucky, 20 if you’ve got the money to indulge yourself long after everyone else has stopped. And emo crossed with epic equals Star Wars. Emo crossed with industrial equals Nine Inch Nails. And now, together again for the first time, we present a photoset from Sith Lords Are Our Specialty which unites them in GIF awesomeness for all time and space. The lyrics from Nine Inch Nails’ wrenching “Hurt” are paired with the characters from Star Wars, specifically the later, more mortifying ones because … feels. There’s certainly more for George Lucas to be embarrassed about in these films than the first three—Jar Jar, for instance.
“Hurt” is a song about pain, a song so raw that when Johnny Cash covered it, felons knelt and cried. The Old Masters-like YouTube of his performance has had 53,114,811 views since 2005. In the later Star Wars films, we find out that poor Luke was destined to be a whiny brat: Mom is beautiful and doomed, and Dad is way emo. Poor kid never stood a chance.
This GIF photoset has had 6,313 notes on Tumblr since its uploading March 14. We’d bet that about 1,000 of them are Luke, reblogging and reblogging the reblogs through the tears, tagging each “GPOY.”
GIF set via Sith Lords Are Our Specialty
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.