- We now probably know the final runtime for ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Monday 11:06 PM
- Cardi B says she drugged, robbed men in her past on Instagram Live Monday 8:03 PM
- Twitter thread roasts bathtub tray ads for women Monday 7:21 PM
- Nintendo set to release two new models of the Switch—possibly in 2019 Monday 6:45 PM
- Viral cat video ‘Dear Kitten’ finds new life in TikTok challenge Monday 5:30 PM
- Here’s every show that was announced at the Apple TV+ kickoff Monday 3:53 PM
- ‘Shazam!’ embraces the spectacle and heart of the superhero genre Monday 3:45 PM
- How to mute Twitter’s suggested tweets on your timeline Monday 3:02 PM
- What you need to know about Apple’s new streaming service Monday 2:32 PM
- Text-message fanfiction is taking over Instagram Monday 1:54 PM
- Your Asus computer might have a secret backdoor Monday 1:06 PM
- Trump is already fundraising off the Mueller report—even though no one’s seen it Monday 1:01 PM
- Michael Avenatti charged with trying to extort $20 million from Nike Monday 12:51 PM
- Logan Paul says being a YouTuber is ‘wack’ Monday 12:14 PM
- James Comey posts from a forest in wake of Mueller report Monday 10:35 AM
Star Wars meets Nine Inch Nails in this GIF mashup.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
You’re a broody, headstrong youth growing up with boring yet perfectly nice relatives in Buttfuck, Nowhere. You spend your days doing chores on the farm and, when you can, slipping away to blast whomp rats with your best pal. You meet someone. You leave home. Shit happens. You find out the Dark Lord of the Empire is your father.
Who among us hasn’t lived this nightmare? Just ask Joseph Campbell.
Emo, my friends, isn’t a culture; it’s a phase lasting about five years if you’re lucky, 20 if you’ve got the money to indulge yourself long after everyone else has stopped. And emo crossed with epic equals Star Wars. Emo crossed with industrial equals Nine Inch Nails. And now, together again for the first time, we present a photoset from Sith Lords Are Our Specialty which unites them in GIF awesomeness for all time and space. The lyrics from Nine Inch Nails’ wrenching “Hurt” are paired with the characters from Star Wars, specifically the later, more mortifying ones because … feels. There’s certainly more for George Lucas to be embarrassed about in these films than the first three—Jar Jar, for instance.
“Hurt” is a song about pain, a song so raw that when Johnny Cash covered it, felons knelt and cried. The Old Masters-like YouTube of his performance has had 53,114,811 views since 2005. In the later Star Wars films, we find out that poor Luke was destined to be a whiny brat: Mom is beautiful and doomed, and Dad is way emo. Poor kid never stood a chance.
This GIF photoset has had 6,313 notes on Tumblr since its uploading March 14. We’d bet that about 1,000 of them are Luke, reblogging and reblogging the reblogs through the tears, tagging each “GPOY.”
GIF set via Sith Lords Are Our Specialty
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.