- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused 6 Years Ago
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators 6 Years Ago
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Today 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Today 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Today 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Today 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Today 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Today 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Today 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
The Morning GIF: Luke Skywalker’s “Hurt”
Star Wars meets Nine Inch Nails in this GIF mashup.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
You’re a broody, headstrong youth growing up with boring yet perfectly nice relatives in Buttfuck, Nowhere. You spend your days doing chores on the farm and, when you can, slipping away to blast whomp rats with your best pal. You meet someone. You leave home. Shit happens. You find out the Dark Lord of the Empire is your father.
Who among us hasn’t lived this nightmare? Just ask Joseph Campbell.
Emo, my friends, isn’t a culture; it’s a phase lasting about five years if you’re lucky, 20 if you’ve got the money to indulge yourself long after everyone else has stopped. And emo crossed with epic equals Star Wars. Emo crossed with industrial equals Nine Inch Nails. And now, together again for the first time, we present a photoset from Sith Lords Are Our Specialty which unites them in GIF awesomeness for all time and space. The lyrics from Nine Inch Nails’ wrenching “Hurt” are paired with the characters from Star Wars, specifically the later, more mortifying ones because … feels. There’s certainly more for George Lucas to be embarrassed about in these films than the first three—Jar Jar, for instance.
“Hurt” is a song about pain, a song so raw that when Johnny Cash covered it, felons knelt and cried. The Old Masters-like YouTube of his performance has had 53,114,811 views since 2005. In the later Star Wars films, we find out that poor Luke was destined to be a whiny brat: Mom is beautiful and doomed, and Dad is way emo. Poor kid never stood a chance.
This GIF photoset has had 6,313 notes on Tumblr since its uploading March 14. We’d bet that about 1,000 of them are Luke, reblogging and reblogging the reblogs through the tears, tagging each “GPOY.”
GIF set via Sith Lords Are Our Specialty
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.