- College students burned author’s books after she spoke about white privilege Sunday 6:28 PM
- Texas police officer fatally shoots Black woman in her own home Sunday 3:44 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos’ website dangerous.com was sold Sunday 1:42 PM
- First YouTube comment to hit 1 million likes is on Billie Eilish’s ‘bad guy’ music video Sunday 12:36 PM
- Girl says she was fired over exposing how Panera makes its mac and cheese on TikTok Sunday 11:34 AM
- David Harbour teased fans about Hopper’s ‘Stranger Things’ fate on ‘SNL’ Sunday 10:24 AM
- Kacey Musgraves accused of cultural appropriation–and botching it Sunday 9:19 AM
- Rihanna defends Vogue writer who received backlash for ‘winging’ interview Sunday 8:36 AM
- Here are the best PC games to add to your list Sunday 8:20 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 8 Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chargers on Sunday Night Football Saturday 7:20 PM
- Popular TikTok teens accused of pretending to be gay for clout Saturday 6:38 PM
- Scott Walker’s ‘$26 haircut’ dig at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez backfires Saturday 4:46 PM
- Halle synagogue shooter allegedly posted manifesto on anime message board Saturday 4:06 PM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Jets in NFL Week 6 Saturday 3:25 PM
The Morning GIF: The WikiLeaks bounce
Julian Assange on a trampoline, in his pre-embassy days.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet
Julian Assange: terrorist mastermind or Internet freedom fighter? The world may never agree on which box in which to file the controversial WikiLeaks founder. Unless he undergoes a personality transplant, there will be no meeting in the middle either, most things middle-of-the-road being anathema to those of a WikiLeaksian nature.
As he chills in his Ecuador-by-way-of-Knightsbridge embassy digs, his followers have all but guaranteed that today he will win the People’s Choice Human Rights Award: Currently Assange has more than 1,400 votes, and the nearest competition has just over 500. The site explains, “By participating in the selection of the People’s Choice Honoree, you can take part in the exciting effort to recognize the hardworking people who uphold the values enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. You nominate. You vote. You decide.” Might as well go ahead and clear some space in the awards case, Jules: This one’s as locked down as you are.
Remember the old days? The days of ankle-braceleted moderated freedom? The days when you could stomp all over Vaughn Smith‘s trampoline in winklepickers while making world-changing phone calls and nobody would say boo? Do you remember why the caged bird sings, Julian?
GIF via Heart First Julian/Wordpress.com
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.