- CDC graphic warns most facial hair isn’t compatible with coronavirus protection measures Today 1:31 PM
- Tutoring website refuses to take down ad sexualizing Asian women Today 1:24 PM
- MSNBC pundit loses air time after saying Sanders staffers are ‘island of misfit Black girls’ Today 12:36 PM
- Court says YouTube isn’t subject to First Amendment scrutiny Today 11:06 AM
- Russian models are Instagramming life in Wuhan Today 11:00 AM
- Hillary Duff suggests ‘Lizzie McGuire’ revival was halted over adult storylines Today 10:37 AM
- Arrest warrant issued for 8chan founder Today 10:22 AM
- This YouTube time traveler says he’s a cyborg from 2050—and he wants you to buy merch Today 10:11 AM
- Women on Twitter are slaying the ‘Bad b*tch for a week’ challenge Today 9:30 AM
- Reddit’s CEO issues a dire warning about TikTok Today 9:03 AM
- ‘Star Trek: Picard’ episode 6 recap: ‘The Impossible Box’ Today 8:00 AM
- Faculty from over 100 schools join call for facial recognition ban Today 7:48 AM
- Ava DuVernay is making a sci-fi series for Amazon Today 6:50 AM
- Review: ‘Altered Carbon’ returns with an overcomplicated second season Today 6:00 AM
- Mike Pence, who fueled HIV outbreak, is now in charge of coronavirus outbreak Wednesday 9:15 PM
The Morning GIF: The WikiLeaks bounce
Julian Assange on a trampoline, in his pre-embassy days.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet
Julian Assange: terrorist mastermind or Internet freedom fighter? The world may never agree on which box in which to file the controversial WikiLeaks founder. Unless he undergoes a personality transplant, there will be no meeting in the middle either, most things middle-of-the-road being anathema to those of a WikiLeaksian nature.
As he chills in his Ecuador-by-way-of-Knightsbridge embassy digs, his followers have all but guaranteed that today he will win the People’s Choice Human Rights Award: Currently Assange has more than 1,400 votes, and the nearest competition has just over 500. The site explains, “By participating in the selection of the People’s Choice Honoree, you can take part in the exciting effort to recognize the hardworking people who uphold the values enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. You nominate. You vote. You decide.” Might as well go ahead and clear some space in the awards case, Jules: This one’s as locked down as you are.
Remember the old days? The days of ankle-braceleted moderated freedom? The days when you could stomp all over Vaughn Smith‘s trampoline in winklepickers while making world-changing phone calls and nobody would say boo? Do you remember why the caged bird sings, Julian?
GIF via Heart First Julian/Wordpress.com
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.