- The ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ redesign was led by a ‘Sonic’ artist 6 Years Ago
- The 16-inch MacBook Pro is a beast, and it has a decent keyboard Today 11:24 AM
- This group is scanning thousands of faces in Congress today to protest facial recognition Today 11:09 AM
- Why is everyone debating Pete Buttigieg’s Medicare for All stance? Today 10:47 AM
- The Motorola Razr is a foldable homage to millennial nostalgia Today 10:22 AM
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme gets much more literal on TikTok Today 10:20 AM
- MrDeadMoth avoids jail time for assaulting pregnant partner during live stream Today 9:21 AM
- Deval Patrick 2020 fever is not catching on Today 9:08 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Browns on Thursday Night Football Today 8:13 AM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Netherlands in the U-17 World Cup semis Today 6:46 AM
- ‘Waves’ wrestles with the family drama and breaks it in half Today 6:30 AM
- QAnon-touting congressman sneaks ‘Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself’ into tweets Wednesday 7:12 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez met a famous drag queen–and the right melted down Wednesday 6:09 PM
- Woman says Lyft driver tried to kidnap her Wednesday 5:18 PM
- Debunking the right-wing conspiracy theories from the impeachment hearing Wednesday 4:29 PM
Tumblr GIF artist embraces old-school RPG style
From pizza to Daft Punk, this artist brings some of the Web’s favorite things to life as GIFs.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Tumblr, or elsewhere on the Internet.
In A Bug’s Life, Disney showed us how insects are much more than just summertime pests. What they didn’t show was the ceremonial lengths to which these bugs go to express love.
“The spider on top was a priest reading from scripture, but when I decided the bride and the groom looked wrong, I deleted them, and drew a new background, and tried something else entirely, while keeping the theme and the imagined priest,” Vélez told the Daily Dot. “On the bottom is a young bug. That cute little bugger is the former priest’s adopted child. Her father reads her some bug folklore as she wreaks havoc on a symmetrical cityscape. Bugs, being the unsightly little creatures that they are, are generally thought of as disgusting, but I wanted to show their tender side, while also showing love’s disgusting side.”
Vélez joined Tumblr in February and has made it his mission to only post original content on his blog. This has included GIFs featuring the Ninja Turtles, Rorschach from Watchmen, and some floating fast food. Each GIF is made using pixel art, giving each that old-school video-game feel.
“I am still into old-school RPGs [role playing games],” Vélez added. “They make me nostalgic. Later on, I learned the style my favorite video games had in common is a form of graphical projection called oblique projection. These games used this projection style almost entirely out of necessity, because of the limited capacity of CPUs back in the day. Pixel artists nowadays who draw in this style, the rare few, do so out of preference.”
Check out some more of Vélez’s work below.
Art by José Vélez/Tumblr
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.