- Guy mansplains song to Japanese Breakfast, the female artist who wrote the song Friday 6:38 PM
- Ann Coulter’s Twitter bio links to a vulgar parody account Friday 5:22 PM
- Popular YouTube music channel gets income yanked for ‘repetitious’ content Friday 4:14 PM
- New website will endlessly generate fake faces thanks to AI Friday 3:41 PM
- Man fakes getting stood up at Outback Steakhouse Friday 3:03 PM
- FCC looks to tackle robocalls and spoofed texts Friday 2:57 PM
- How to protect yourself from the data breach that affected 744 million accounts Friday 12:56 PM
- How to stream Rob Brant vs. Khasan Baysangurov online for free Friday 12:21 PM
- No, Ocasio-Cortez doesn’t have her boyfriend on her payroll Friday 12:20 PM
- Writers want this book canceled for misgendering its protagonist Friday 12:15 PM
- Trump Jr’s meme about his dad’s border wall doesn’t get how Congress works Friday 11:44 AM
- FBI reportedly looking into Ryan Adams’ communications with underage girl Friday 11:25 AM
- Trump does Chinese accent, declares national emergency, bewilders the internet Friday 11:21 AM
- Chrissy Teigen throws shade at Logan Paul-Kaitlin Bennett pairing Friday 10:48 AM
- Trump says ‘I didn’t need to do this’ while declaring national emergency Friday 10:48 AM
The Internet is mad at this model for rejecting a Tour de France winner’s kiss
Almost as awkward as when Adrien Brody kissed Halle Berry at the Oscars.
Last Sunday, Italian cyclist Vicenzo Nibali won Stage 2 of the Tour de France cycling tournament. It was a triumphant moment and a huge accomplishment for any professional biker…but it wasn’t that impressive to this model, who coolly rebuffed Nibali when he attempted to give her a kiss while accepting his yellow jersey in an onstage ceremony.
Here’s the kiss—or, more accurately, lack thereof—at 0:14:
Of course, the woman was under no obligation to reciprocate Nibali’s advances—because, you know, we live in the 21st century, and women aren’t required to make themselves available to men at any given moment—the general consensus on the Internet was less along the lines of, “Eh, I don’t really blame her, dude probably didn’t smell that great after 150 km of hard cycling,” and more along the lines of, “How dare she/Who the hell does that bitch think she is.”
“Let’s not lose sight of what’s really important here: this woman is a jerk,” Kyle Koster of BroBible wrote. “Nibali wasn’t going in for some tongue-on-tongue action. He was going in for a European double cheek peck…Sure, Nibali probably smelled a little sour after the demanding ride, but that’s no reason to humiliate him.”
Some Internet commenters tried to give her the benefit of the doubt, attributing the “rejection” to her taking the stuffed lion and presenting Nibali with it at the same time that she was supposed to kiss him. But the tone of the majority of the comments on YouTube seemed more aligned with Koster’s view: “Ouch! That hurt my feelings,” one wrote, while another opted for a more succinct “What a bitch lol.”
So remember, ladies: If some tall, sweaty Italian man has just biked more than 150 kilometers and he tries to plant one on you on national television, let him! Otherwise, the Internet will probably call you a bitch.
H/T BroBible | Screengrab via murkom/YouTube
EJ Dickson is a writer and editor who primarily covers sex, dating, and relationships, with a special focus on the intersection of intimacy and technology. She served as the Daily Dot’s IRL editor from January 2014 to July 2015. Her work has since appeared in the New York Times, Rolling Stone, Mic, Bustle, Romper, and Men’s Health.