- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Friday 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Friday 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Friday 2:16 PM
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Friday 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Friday 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Friday 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Friday 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Friday 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Friday 10:41 AM
- Teens are eating cereal out of each other’s mouths for clout Friday 10:34 AM
She also stared into the camera with weird, dead eyes that people are having too much fun with, years after the fact. A new meme that’s been going around is pretty simple: It’s a photo of Miley with piercing blue eyes that seem to have zero signs of life behind them. Kind of like a doll’s eyes. She’s looking straight ahead as though she’s lost any sort of semblance of humanity. And people are having a blast with this strange pose, because why not?
There’s no real explanation for why the picture is making the rounds right now, but we know it’s a relic from the singer and actress’ storied history. When the photo was taken, Cyrus was actually 15, and looking a sight different from the somewhat erratic pop star we now know her as, even post-Bangerz (her best album, don’t @ us.) But…that face. Why?
Drew Barrymore in Firestarter b like pic.twitter.com/WbFlN2cdJX— shonda rhimes wrote crossroads (@jersing) October 24, 2018
Bank Robber: goofiest bitch in the room getting shot first— spooky gay tweets (@trashygaytweets) October 23, 2018
It’s uncanny, how terrifying this look for Miley actually is. You okay, Ms. Cyrus?
medusa turning her victims into stone pic.twitter.com/KVQraKDNy0— faggrat XCX (@faggrat) October 24, 2018
I SAID are we gonna party in the USA pic.twitter.com/KoUMt8Xx8p— Ghetto Fran Dresher (@wildestthot) October 23, 2018
me: i love lana del-— Lana Del Rey Aesthetics (@chateaumarment) October 23, 2018
summertime sadness remix fans: pic.twitter.com/K2XTQNQ177
Most people opt to focus on how unsettling Miley’s stare is here, like she’s some kind of automaton.
Miley’s face is even being combined with other memes, like in the case of this exemplary A Star is Born tweet.
And this one.
This one too.
As creepy as the photo is, people just can’t get enough of it.
gays tweeting that miley cyrus photo pic.twitter.com/iv5jSkgSPu— ｌａｎｅ (@agenderjortz) October 24, 2018
Others are simply scared for their lives.
When I see that Miley Cyrus eyes meme flash up on my tl pic.twitter.com/tWxtk5zVDn— Josh (@JoshuaNaugh) October 24, 2018
It’s arresting, in more ways than one. We’re just curious, in the meantime, how Miley feels about this bizarre lewk of hers from so long ago.
I’m.... pic.twitter.com/u06MLcBNdo— alfcapulco 666 (@alfredoo666) October 24, 2018
Unfortunately, she’s still taking her sabbatical from social media at the moment, so it’s possible she hasn’t even seen the hilarity going on with these images. When she decides to return, however, it looks like she’ll be in for a hilarious time with all these edits.
Brittany Vincent has covered gaming, anime, tech, and entertainment for over a decade. When she’s not writing, she’s replaying Um Jammer Lammy or Day of the Tentacle for the hundredth time while pining for a Harvester sequel. Find her on Twitter @MolotovCupcake.