- #DogsAgainstBrexit highlights the negative impact of Brexit on pets Monday 7:44 PM
- Congress investigating whether vaping manufacturers used social media bots Monday 6:34 PM
- Influencer accuses Lisa Frank of stealing apartment design, says that’s why she’s getting evicted (updated) Monday 6:12 PM
- Brits are sharing their ‘awfully British Amazon reviews’ on Twitter Monday 4:08 PM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Panama in Concacaf Nations League play Monday 3:38 PM
- How to stream U.S. vs. Canada in the Concacaf Nations League tournament Monday 3:21 PM
- Fortnite’s black hole launches conspiracy theories and memes Monday 3:19 PM
- WeWork pulls phone booths over formaldehyde concerns Monday 3:06 PM
- Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly having private meetings with prominent conservatives Monday 3:03 PM
- Firework is a social video app with a literal twist Monday 2:46 PM
- Pro-Trump meme comedian Carpe Donktum suspended by Twitter (updated) Monday 1:35 PM
- Here are all of the Disney+ titles available to stream at launch Monday 12:52 PM
- Rumor: Apple to release $399 iPhone SE follow-up next year Monday 12:44 PM
- Sulli, K-pop star who spoke against cyberbullying, dead at 25 Monday 12:37 PM
- The latest front in Turkey’s digital war against the Kurds? Google reviews Monday 12:19 PM
Michael Sam convinced a TMZ cameraman he was getting married in Westeros
It would’ve been a wedding to remember.
As the first openly gay football player to be drafted into the NFL, Michael Sam is now used to being accosted by paparazzi. But in a recent encounter with TMZ, he managed to best a cameraman in a hilarious, Tyrion Lannister–esque game of wits.
When Sam and his new fiancé, Vito Cammisano, ran into the unnamed cameraman outside of Los Angeles International Airport, the man started grilling Sam about their engagement and future wedding plans. It’s the typical TMZ routine for on-camera run-ins with celebrities.
But instead of ignoring the man, Sam had some fun with it. He told the paparazzi he was getting married in Westeros.
Actually getting married in George R.R. Martin’s fantasy land would be a very bad, no good idea—not to mention expensive—but Sam’s Game of Thrones reference was a creative way to just shake the guy off (and show the world that he’s a fan). But what makes this encounter worth its weight in Lannister gold is that the cameraman has no idea what Westeros is, so he’s taking Sam at face value—he might actually believe that Sam and Cammisano are getting married in Game of Thrones’ fictional universe.
“Is this in Greece? It sounds like a Greek—” the cameraman says at one point, and Sam and Cammisano can barely keep it together.
TMZ, to its credit, went along and published the video anyway at the expense of its photographer (whom the site called Hodor) with the description “Michael Sam just dominated a TMZ photog at LAX like he was the Mountain … and we were Oberyn Martell … and it’s pretty damn hilarious.”
If anything, he pulled a Tyrion Lannister or a Littlefinger and used something even more powerful—his words—to pull one over on the cameraman. It’s not as impressive as smashing a dude’s skull with your thumbs, sending him to the Wall, or hiring an assassin like Jaqen H’ghar to take care of it… but for today, it’s good enough.
H/T Sports Illustrated | Photos via HBO, People Magazine | Remix by Jason Reed
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.