- People on Twitter ask whose ancestors would’ve passed immigrant ‘wealth test’ Monday 6:54 PM
- Kobe Bryant helicopter crash mocked in teen’s TikTok video Monday 6:38 PM
- Chiefs, Bears, Packers have Twitter accounts hacked Monday 3:48 PM
- Washington Post reporter suspended amid backlash over Kobe Bryant tweet Monday 3:08 PM
- America is united in hating Ken Starr’s impeachment hat Monday 3:01 PM
- In ‘Cuties,’ the contradictions of growing up come to a head Monday 1:55 PM
- Racist tweets blame fruit bat soup for coronavirus Monday 1:25 PM
- What is the #ILeftTheGOP movement? Monday 1:21 PM
- The Grammys were weird and sad—but the Billy Porter hat memes offered some levity Monday 12:36 PM
- Auschwitz Museum calls on Facebook to ban Holocaust denialism Monday 11:59 AM
- YouTuber who said his girlfriend was dead now says he faked it Monday 11:42 AM
- Review: Kentucky Route Zero is one of the most magical games ever made Monday 11:00 AM
- Backlash grows against Clearview as lawsuit looms Monday 10:58 AM
- Tyler the Creator calls out the Grammys for racism over ‘Rap Album’ win Monday 10:25 AM
- Democrats call on John Bolton to testify after book bombshell Monday 9:56 AM
Michael Sam convinced a TMZ cameraman he was getting married in Westeros
It would’ve been a wedding to remember.
As the first openly gay football player to be drafted into the NFL, Michael Sam is now used to being accosted by paparazzi. But in a recent encounter with TMZ, he managed to best a cameraman in a hilarious, Tyrion Lannister–esque game of wits.
When Sam and his new fiancé, Vito Cammisano, ran into the unnamed cameraman outside of Los Angeles International Airport, the man started grilling Sam about their engagement and future wedding plans. It’s the typical TMZ routine for on-camera run-ins with celebrities.
But instead of ignoring the man, Sam had some fun with it. He told the paparazzi he was getting married in Westeros.
Actually getting married in George R.R. Martin’s fantasy land would be a very bad, no good idea—not to mention expensive—but Sam’s Game of Thrones reference was a creative way to just shake the guy off (and show the world that he’s a fan). But what makes this encounter worth its weight in Lannister gold is that the cameraman has no idea what Westeros is, so he’s taking Sam at face value—he might actually believe that Sam and Cammisano are getting married in Game of Thrones’ fictional universe.
“Is this in Greece? It sounds like a Greek—” the cameraman says at one point, and Sam and Cammisano can barely keep it together.
TMZ, to its credit, went along and published the video anyway at the expense of its photographer (whom the site called Hodor) with the description “Michael Sam just dominated a TMZ photog at LAX like he was the Mountain … and we were Oberyn Martell … and it’s pretty damn hilarious.”
If anything, he pulled a Tyrion Lannister or a Littlefinger and used something even more powerful—his words—to pull one over on the cameraman. It’s not as impressive as smashing a dude’s skull with your thumbs, sending him to the Wall, or hiring an assassin like Jaqen H’ghar to take care of it… but for today, it’s good enough.
H/T Sports Illustrated | Photos via HBO, People Magazine | Remix by Jason Reed
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.