- YouTube love triangle: ProJared’s mistress Commander Holly makes startling accusations 9 Months Ago
- Middle schoolers investigated for allegedly serving semen crepes to teachers 9 Months Ago
- Memelord from Reddit’s r/The_Donald joins Trump onstage at rally 9 Months Ago
- Read the wild list of demands Trump’s possible new immigration czar had Today 8:48 AM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in June 2019 Today 7:30 AM
- Hulu and George Clooney strike gold with ‘Catch-22’ Today 7:00 AM
- How to cut the cord when you’re broke Today 6:30 AM
- Jazz pianist turns Cardi B flex video, James Charles apology into viral bops Today 6:28 AM
- How to watch Netflix on Linux Today 6:00 AM
- Fortnite streamer Tfue sues gaming organization FaZe Clan over contract dispute Today 12:28 AM
- Report finds some users can’t opt out of Facebook’s face recognition Monday 7:27 PM
- Get emotional over this real-life pastor baptizing an anime girl in virtual reality Monday 6:53 PM
- Twitter wants to know what Jack in the Box did to offend Kim Kardashian Monday 6:38 PM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ meme claims King’s Landing is an ‘inside job’ Monday 6:06 PM
- Report: Personal data of 49 million Instagram influencers exposed online Monday 4:57 PM
Long Furby is long.
Most people agree that Furbies are cute. We know—some of you think they’re terrifying, or a combination of cute and terrifying. But it’s hard to deny that these weird creatures, which resemble an owl mixed with maybe two other animals, are magical.
And you know what’s even more magical than a regular Furby? A Long Furby.
When Twitter user @SomersetSews first posted photos of an extremely long, ferret-like Furby, Furby fans all over the internet went wild for it. Just take a look at this thing:
Do you think that God stays in heaven because he too lives in fear of what he has created pic.twitter.com/XU2Uv0N6M1
— Bono @ Furby Godmother (@SomersetSews) July 26, 2018
As expected, people were both horrified and amazed when they saw it.
Love the name lmfao
— 🌻PixelCatt_🌻 (@PixelCatt_) July 27, 2018
WHY DID YOU HAVE TO MAKE THESE WHEN I HAVE NO MONEY
— i don't have a licence for eggs (@PixieRings) July 28, 2018
But SomersetSews wasn’t the first to put together what many would call “abominations” (read: people who don’t know how to have fun).
Tumblr user furbyfuzz can be traced back to the origin of this bizarre creation. This enterprising inventor took a regular Furby, then essentially stretched it out, citing a few funny “what if” questions as inspiration for the creature: “What if Furby was like a wiener dog? What if Longcat was Furby?” These are fair questions, and they’ve been answered quite sufficiently, honestly. Both creations would be awesome beyond compare.
The first Long Furby, at least in what appears to be recorded Tumblr history, was named LongFurby. But it also has some other great nicknames, according to the Tumblr user’s FAQ, like Jörmungandr, Cygnus, and Yaldabaoth.
LongFurby was created using a Furby Buddy (a small Furby beanie baby), which doesn’t feature any mechanical components, and as such doesn’t function like the regular electronic companions do. So while it doesn’t “work” like you’d expect it to, including talking and whatnot, it’s still as functional as any stuffed animal.
The LongFurby creature includes a special part found in poseable Pokémon plush dolls, according to furbyfuzz, as well as a spine purchased on eBay to give the creation its unique shape and frame.
Furbyfuzz’s genius creation obviously influenced SomersetSews, as she explained to The Daily Dot.
“I had Furbys as a kid, and the wackiness of it just appealed to me,” said SomersetSews via Twitter DM. “FurbyFuzz used a 4-inch Furby beanie baby as her base, but I wanted to go bigger, so I purchased one of the original 1998 Furbys and went to town on it.”
This longer Furby is also a bit more “luxe” than the original, given that it uses some pretty high-quality materials, said SomersetSews.
“I thought I might be able to splice the existing Furby “skin” into the super long tube, but understandably, the fur in production just isn’t the same as it was 20 years ago! I ended up finding a gorgeous luxe mink-y fabric in a subtle creme and well, designer Furby it is. So I took apart the whole Furby, made a pattern, and sewed everything back up from scratch.”
The greatest thing about these Furby creations? You can buy them, of course! The furbyfuzz original runs about $80 (calculations for expenses seen here on Tumblr) so you can have one of your very own. SomersetSews is also selling her own “Longer Furby” via Etsy, but the listing is currently sold out—which tells you something about this strange item’s allure.
She’s also been hard at work dressing up Furbies in adorable dresses, which have their own unique allure of their own.
Who is she pic.twitter.com/Bwuc206BlC
— Bono @ Furby Godmother (@SomersetSews) August 18, 2018
Brittany Vincent has covered gaming, anime, tech, and entertainment for over a decade. When she’s not writing, she’s replaying Um Jammer Lammy or Day of the Tentacle for the hundredth time while pining for a Harvester sequel. Find her on Twitter @MolotovCupcake.