- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Today 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Today 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Today 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Today 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Today 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Today 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Today 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Today 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Today 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Today 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Today 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Today 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Today 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Today 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Today 7:56 AM
Trump supporters are confusing actor LeVar Burton with LaVar Ball
In an unfortunate mixup, people are flooding actor LeVar Burton’s Twitter mentions because they think he’s LaVar Ball.
Oblivious to the difference between the two men, President Donald Trump supporters began attacking Burton—the actor best known for hosting the PBS show Reading Rainbow—with Ball, the basketball dad who has an ongoing beef with Trump.
The confusion seems to stem from Ball and Burton having similar first names, plus last names that begin with the letter “B,” and the fact they are both Black. While Ball caused controversy with a CNN interview on Monday night, Burton has been unwillingly dragged into the Twitter fire and sent rude messages.
@levarburton You're a has been actor with a thief for a son and Trump is the president of the United States. Get the picture?— markconte (@proseman) November 21, 2017
@levarburton you sure don’t do much for the black cause with your unlawful ungrateful parenting skills.— Steven Epps (@Steven_L_Epps) November 20, 2017
For Goddsake, Levar, just say, “Thank You”!!!— Brent Spiner (@BrentSpiner) November 21, 2017
Washed up actor - Check— Lil Popsicle (@Lil_Popsicle) November 21, 2017
Son caught stealing in China - Check
Trump still president - Check
But none of that is true huh?... lol
At least one person tried to clarify the misunderstanding.
The drama started when Trump called Ball “ungrateful” because the controversial basketball dad didn’t thank Trump for getting his son, LiAngelo Ball, out of going to jail in China. The UCLA guard and two other teammates were caught shoplifting sunglasses from luxury stores.
Now that the three basketball players are out of China and saved from years in jail, LaVar Ball, the father of LiAngelo, is unaccepting of what I did for his son and that shoplifting is no big deal. I should have left them in jail!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 19, 2017
Shoplifting is a very big deal in China, as it should be (5-10 years in jail), but not to father LaVar. Should have gotten his son out during my next trip to China instead. China told them why they were released. Very ungrateful!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 19, 2017
On Monday, Ball went on CNN and still refused to thank Trump.
“Why is that on your mind?” Ball said. “All this stuff that’s going on and that’s on your mind—that a father didn’t say thank you?”
Ball said that he would handle his son and that Trump should stay in his lane. The internet has conflicting takes on the whole ordeal.
Most accurate portrayal of Lavar Ball’s CNN interview https://t.co/rjNhaGEA8V— Jemele Hill (@jemelehill) November 21, 2017
Thread:— Desus Nice (@desusnice) November 21, 2017
Why lavar ball will go down in history as a greater patriot than Paul revere (1/25)
If Obama saved my son from Chinese prison for stealing shoes, I would be thanking him after I beat my son for STEALING! I don’t care if he’s 6’ either! This Lavar Ball is a joke and poor example of a dad. No wonder his son steals.— Ex-Dem🇺🇸Latina (@ExDemLatina) November 21, 2017
As for Burton, he might want to avoid Twitter for a while. Or take his Star Trek: The Next Generation cast member’s advice.
If you cared about our President, you’d change your name.— Brent Spiner (@BrentSpiner) November 21, 2017
Danielle Ransom is a journalist who has worked as a researcher for CNN, NBC's KXAN-TV, CBS' KEYE-TV.