- The first professional U.S. transgender boxer just won his first fight Today 2:18 PM
- Twitch streamer apparently hits partner on video Today 1:45 PM
- There’s now rehab for Fortnite addiction Today 12:07 PM
- How to watch América vs. Pumas online for free Today 11:25 AM
- ‘Target Tammy’ is the latest white woman to complain about Black people minding their own business Today 11:08 AM
- Jason Momoa reprises ‘Game of Thrones’ character on ‘SNL’ Today 10:06 AM
- How to watch the epic Copa Libertadores final online for free Today 9:35 AM
- The top fandoms of 2018 Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Huesca online for free Today 6:40 AM
- What is Sling TV? Today 6:15 AM
- A year of apologizing to the internet Today 6:15 AM
- How to stream NFL’s Week 14 games for free Today 6:00 AM
- John Kelly will be leaving the White House, and Twitter reacted exactly as expected Saturday 6:12 PM
- Shonen Jump manga is going (mostly) free to combat piracy Saturday 5:14 PM
- ‘Death Grips is online’ is trending, so what does it mean? Saturday 4:33 PM
Larry Wilmore calls Ted Cruz the Zodiac Killer in White House Correspondents’ Dinner speech
It’s all starting to make sense.
Weird Twitter finally got its moment in the spotlight at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner on Saturday night. The evening’s emcee, Nightly Show host Larry Wilmore, spent part of his speech highlighting the meme that presidential hopeful Ted Cruz is the Zodiac Killer.
In a speech that took aim at President Obama’s drone strikes, cable news networks, and Donald Trump, as well as other presidential candidates, Wilmore paid particular attention to Cruz. The Texas senator is disliked by many of his colleagues, even within the Republican party—and as Wilmore points out, even O.J. Simpson probably dislikes him.
The comedian brought out the meme de force of Cruz being the Zodiac Killer at around the 16:41 mark. It’s a joke that has spiraled out of control, even leading to a real polling firm to ask voters about it and the possibility of Google hiding it from search engines. Though it’s impossible for Cruz to have actually been the Zodiac Killer based off his age, the presidential hopeful has yet to deny it.
“I’m not making that up,” Wilmore said, while also playing devil’s advocate. “Come on, that’s absurd. Some people actually liked the Zodiac Killer.”
The zingers continue from there. To Wilmore, the Zodiac Killer identity is pivotal to the Cruz campaign. Every victory is because people forgot that he’s the Zodiac Killer while any defeats are because of it. Wilmore even brought up John Boehner’s recent comments about how Cruz is “Lucifer in the flesh.”
“Lucifer is horrible, but he’s not the Zodiac Killer,” Wilmore added.
All manners of campaign strategy were up for scrutiny and Wilmore is determined to get to the bottom of it. Cruz’s recent yet presumptuous selection of Carly Fiorina as his vice president is particularly strange because serial killers always work alone. It’s just one more puzzling detail that a mastermind such as Cruz would use to throw the American public off his trail.
With Wilmore’s exposure of this possible truth put forth on a national level, it may be even harder than ever to hide it from Google.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.