- Conservatives feel vindicated by new developments in Jussie Smollett case 7 Months Ago
- Don Cheadle made important fashion choices on ‘SNL’ Today 9:47 AM
- Why the Twitter left loves to dunk on Max Boot Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Last Week Tonight with John Oliver’ online for free Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Francis Ngannou vs. Cain Velasquez for free Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream the 2019 Daytona 500 for free Today 5:50 AM
- 7-year-old YouTuber to get his own show on Nickelodeon Saturday 5:30 PM
- ‘Hipster’ jobs are trending, and Indeed says the market is booming Saturday 3:33 PM
- Trump meme removed after copyright complaint Saturday 2:15 PM
- Facebook pushes back against moderators complaining about ‘Big Brother’ environment Saturday 12:46 PM
- Twitter hid post from an account linked to Iran’s Supreme Leader Saturday 10:17 AM
- How to stream Leo Santa Cruz vs. Rafael Rivera for free Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Larry Charles’ Dangerous World of Comedy’ finds the balance between tragedy and comedy Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Michael ‘Venom’ Page vs. Paul Daley for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the NBA Dunk Contest 2019 online for free Saturday 6:50 AM
This alien dancing to Lil Uzi Vert’s ‘Money Longer’ is the weirdest meme of the year
Nobody wants to see this as the foot of their bed.
One thing we can hold true about internet memes is that the creation, evolution, and iterations almost always defy any sense of logic or common sense as we know it. Perhaps no better example of this comes to us from the “Howard the Alien” (also known as the “Money Longer” Alien) meme which has recently gone viral.
It all started with the following video of a free green screen of a metal alien dancing, which was posted by the 3D Animation Land YouTube account in December of 2017.
The video saw a modest amount of views in the first year or so after having been posted, but didn’t pick up real viral steam until an iFunny post from earlier this month which superimposed the Lil Uzi Vert song “Money Longer” over the animation with the caption “imagine having sleep paralysis and seeing this as the foot of bed just fuckin breakin it down and you cant do anything about it like you hear the music in the back and everything bruh.”
So like, Dear David, but a shiny alien? The post was later mirrored on YouTube, as you can see below:
It’s unclear exactly how the alien came to be known as “Howard,” but from there the meme exploded, as you can see in just one of the many meme compilations.
The meme is also making the rounds on Twitter because people just can’t seem to get enough of this creepy dancing alien.
screw u guys, I’m gonna post howard the alien memes myself !!! pic.twitter.com/Qbf90Dff3I
— charlotte (@chaarliei) July 21, 2018
Now I have a new favorite meme Howard the alien pic.twitter.com/hR6tOOkLmK
— Bill Chosby (@Kenlchi911) July 17, 2018
Howard the alien best meme
— Revive (@LilRevive) July 17, 2018
— ricky nooo! (@imtrulythicc) July 18, 2018
Some people still may not be able to wrap their heads around why this is a thing, exactly. But this is Howard the Alien’s world now, and we’re all just living in it, as it stands at the foot of our beds just fuckin breakin it down while we suffer from sleep paralysis. Sleep tight, everyone!
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.