- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal 1 Year Ago
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Sevilla Friday 6:35 PM
- How to stream Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo Friday 5:16 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Granada Friday 4:50 PM
- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism Friday 4:16 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire Friday 3:40 PM
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction Friday 3:34 PM
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained Friday 3:22 PM
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Friday 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Friday 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Friday 1:59 PM
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you Friday 1:36 PM
One thing we can hold true about internet memes is that the creation, evolution, and iterations almost always defy any sense of logic or common sense as we know it. Perhaps no better example of this comes to us from the “Howard the Alien” (also known as the “Money Longer” Alien) meme which has recently gone viral.
It all started with the following video of a free green screen of a metal alien dancing, which was posted by the 3D Animation Land YouTube account in December of 2017.
The video saw a modest amount of views in the first year or so after having been posted, but didn’t pick up real viral steam until an iFunny post from earlier this month which superimposed the Lil Uzi Vert song “Money Longer” over the animation with the caption “imagine having sleep paralysis and seeing this as the foot of bed just fuckin breakin it down and you cant do anything about it like you hear the music in the back and everything bruh.”
So like, Dear David, but a shiny alien? The post was later mirrored on YouTube, as you can see below:
It’s unclear exactly how the alien came to be known as “Howard,” but from there the meme exploded, as you can see in just one of the many meme compilations.
The meme is also making the rounds on Twitter because people just can’t seem to get enough of this creepy dancing alien.
screw u guys, I’m gonna post howard the alien memes myself !!! pic.twitter.com/Qbf90Dff3I— charlotte (@chaarliei) July 21, 2018
Now I have a new favorite meme Howard the alien pic.twitter.com/hR6tOOkLmK— Bill Chosby (@Kenlchi911) July 17, 2018
Some people still may not be able to wrap their heads around why this is a thing, exactly. But this is Howard the Alien’s world now, and we’re all just living in it, as it stands at the foot of our beds just fuckin breakin it down while we suffer from sleep paralysis. Sleep tight, everyone!
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.