- People are transfixed by a TikTok cat dancing along to ‘Mr. Sandman’ 7 Months Ago
- Nazi troll pretending to be antifa in Portland gets outed by internet Today 4:15 PM
- ‘Dear White People’ season 3 reflects the exhaustion of the times—for better or for worse Today 3:59 PM
- ‘Seinfeld’ and ‘Friends’ fans feud over which sitcom is better Today 3:57 PM
- Anti-abortion centers are getting around Google’s misinformation policy Today 3:45 PM
- Twitter, Facebook remove Chinese accounts spreading Hong Kong misinformation Today 3:41 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 offers no happy endings Today 3:19 PM
- How to watch ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ online Today 3:03 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 brings out the memes Today 2:59 PM
- Rumor suggests the X-Men might battle the Avengers on-screen Today 2:54 PM
- The CDC is investigating cases of severe lung damage linked to vaping Today 2:08 PM
- How to stream the 49ers vs. Broncos on (preseason) Monday Night Football Today 1:24 PM
- Trump thinks Google made 16 million people vote for Clinton Today 12:54 PM
- Danny McBride’s ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ is a wicked televangelist comedy Today 12:46 PM
- Facebook-branded coffee shops are coming Today 12:36 PM
A person on Twitter shared a photo of eight different ways to draw an X that has become a viral meme. People are wondering how they never noticed the way they and others draw an X.
The person included a diagram of eight options with a colored arrow showing the first direction and a black arrow showing the second direction people move their writing utensil in order to make the letter.
“Also this is so interesting to me—which way do you draw an X? Colored line being the first stroke,” they wrote with the photo.
Also this is so interesting to me - which way do you draw an X? Colored line being the first stroke pic.twitter.com/a0WTl8WT7P— sixers smasey (@SMASEY) January 20, 2019
Most agreed number 7 was the correct way.
Anything but 7 is wrong https://t.co/Yb8zfIsBMM— finlay (@syd_blease) January 22, 2019
I'm a 7. I tried all the others. They just feel wrong! https://t.co/WoMOJLJlHo— Jason Judge (@JediNitrate) January 22, 2019
But some people had other opinions.
If you know anything about calligraphy, it's obviously number 5. https://t.co/D1CjshgQCi— Rayane Alvim (@rayanealvim) January 22, 2019
The correct answer is 8 https://t.co/BDBZOPKCHb— JyriO (@Jyri__O) January 21, 2019
Anything other than #5 is an absolute disgrace. https://t.co/6yevg2kRfi— Un Prophète (@mediocentr0) January 20, 2019
The person who posted the photo looked at the responses and came up with a conclusion on the most popular ways people draw an X.
“General consensus is that Americans do 7 & 8 while the UK does 5 & 6. Probably how we were taught. Not sure about other countries,” they said.
General consensus is that Americans do 7 & 8 while UK does 5 & 6. Probably how we were taught. Not sure about other countries— sixers smasey (@SMASEY) January 20, 2019
Now that we know how people draw an X, I want to know about the rest of the alphabet.
Gabrielle Sorto is an Atlanta-based freelance writer covering culture, lifestyle, and news. Her work has appeared in CNN, Teen Vogue, INSIDER, and Vice. She can usually be found writing with an overpriced coffee in hand or hanging out with her dog, Rihanna, who is named after exactly who you think.