- Man delighted to find 30-year-old computer still works Sunday 5:32 PM
- Report: Google used shell companies to build data centers, obtain tax breaks Sunday 3:38 PM
- Grammy winner Kacey Musgraves spoiled ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars 4’ Sunday 2:24 PM
- Conservatives feel vindicated by new developments in Jussie Smollett case (updated) Sunday 12:19 PM
- Don Cheadle made important fashion choices on ‘SNL’ Sunday 9:47 AM
- Why the Twitter left loves to dunk on Max Boot Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Last Week Tonight with John Oliver’ online for free Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Francis Ngannou vs. Cain Velasquez for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream the 2019 Daytona 500 for free Sunday 5:50 AM
- 7-year-old YouTuber to get his own show on Nickelodeon Saturday 5:30 PM
- ‘Hipster’ jobs are trending, and Indeed says the market is booming Saturday 3:33 PM
- Trump meme removed after copyright complaint Saturday 2:15 PM
- Facebook pushes back against moderators complaining about ‘Big Brother’ environment Saturday 12:46 PM
- Twitter hid post from an account linked to Iran’s Supreme Leader Saturday 10:17 AM
- How to stream Leo Santa Cruz vs. Rafael Rivera for free Saturday 8:00 AM
Viral thread of Twitter ‘hot takes’ reveals all sorts of questionable opinions
When the Hood Oracle—or @emoblackthot on Twitter-—called for hot takes last night, Twitter delivered.
The Hood Oracle is a popular Twitter personality with more than 75,000 followers. The anonymous account is known for tweeting about popular culture and politics with no remorse. Sunday night, however, the popular tweeter wanted to hear “hot takes,” or unpopular opinions, from their followers.
ok everybody it’s hot take time…… what’s YOUR hot take of the night! no bigoted shit 🚫🚫🚫🚫
— THE HOOD ORACLE (@emoblackthot) November 12, 2018
Several people delivered on the request, offering questionable (and surprisingly popular) opinions on food, people, and other mainstream media. Percy Jackson better than Harry Potter? Believe it.
Infinity War was garbage and yall sat up here acting like it wasnt 🙁
— 1/2 of Do You Know Her podcast (@TheLady_Artemis) November 12, 2018
the Percy Jackson series was FAR superior to Harry Potter leave me alone
— put the sis in scoliosis (@tchaikovskythot) November 12, 2018
Harry Potter is not a good series!! Y’all are just nostalgic
— libra men are TRASH! (Ⓥote!!) (@pepelepubes) November 12, 2018
Apparently, a good number of people don’t buy into the popularity of the Potter series overall. Marvel’s latest cross feature, Infinity War, and the retired sitcom Friends were likewise roasted. These opinions and more were fiercely debated in the Twitter thread.
cheetah girls is superior to high school musical. music-wise, plot-wise, and cast-wise. that diversity ??? ooh chanel !! pic.twitter.com/lSaBElTloB
— laila (@lailagirlie) November 12, 2018
the crunch of a mcdonald’s nugget is unmatched and the other girls will just have to deal pic.twitter.com/PP2yeXhb6c
— ♥️ (@xoxmckayy) November 12, 2018
Of course, some of the opinions were more political than others. Some were blunt, honest, and funny like “men don’t deserve rights.”
Men don’t Deserve rights pic.twitter.com/RHxIxKilPy
— JAY-K 47 (@daddyOnIt) November 12, 2018
Of all the hot takes in response to the Hood Oracle’s request, @godisfenty might’ve had the most accurate take of all: “no pop girl group is touching miss grande right now.” Indeed Ariana Grande’s surprise single, “Thank U, Next” has broken numerous streaming records (and the internet).
Check out the thread for the best, and worst, opinions held by Twitter users—and feel free to pile on with a hot take yourself.
Alexis Tatum studies journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She's an editorial intern with the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Orange magazine and the Daily Texan.