- Report finds some users can’t opt out of Facebook’s face recognition Monday 7:27 PM
- Get emotional over this real-life pastor baptizing an anime girl in virtual reality Monday 6:53 PM
- Twitter wants to know what Jack in the Box did to offend Kim Kardashian Monday 6:38 PM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ meme claims King’s Landing is an ‘inside job’ Monday 6:06 PM
- Report: Personal data of 49 million Instagram influencers exposed online Monday 4:57 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 trailer teases a wet, hot American summer Monday 4:02 PM
- What Daenerys’ biggest ‘Game of Thrones’ scenes have in common with Nazi propaganda Monday 3:12 PM
- Here’s what’s coming to Amazon Prime in June Monday 2:11 PM
- Where did Jon Snow go? Unpacking the ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Monday 2:04 PM
- So, did anyone actually win ‘Game of Thrones’? Monday 1:29 PM
- The surprising religious subtext of ‘John Wick: Chapter 3’ Monday 12:53 PM
- Robin Arryn got hot—and the internet is seriously shook Monday 12:40 PM
- Tana Mongeau is going to VidCon a year after TanaCon disaster Monday 12:12 PM
- What have 2020 Democrats said about Alabama’s abortion ban? Monday 11:36 AM
- People keep throwing milkshakes at the U.K.’s far-right politicians Monday 11:10 AM
Viral thread of Twitter ‘hot takes’ reveals all sorts of questionable opinions
When the Hood Oracle—or @emoblackthot on Twitter-—called for hot takes last night, Twitter delivered.
The Hood Oracle is a popular Twitter personality with more than 75,000 followers. The anonymous account is known for tweeting about popular culture and politics with no remorse. Sunday night, however, the popular tweeter wanted to hear “hot takes,” or unpopular opinions, from their followers.
ok everybody it’s hot take time…… what’s YOUR hot take of the night! no bigoted shit 🚫🚫🚫🚫
— THE HOOD ORACLE SAYS STREAM FEVER (@emoblackthot) November 12, 2018
Several people delivered on the request, offering questionable (and surprisingly popular) opinions on food, people, and other mainstream media. Percy Jackson better than Harry Potter? Believe it.
Infinity War was garbage and yall sat up here acting like it wasnt 🙁
— 1/2 of Do You Know Her podcast (@TheLady_Artemis) November 12, 2018
the Percy Jackson series was FAR superior to Harry Potter leave me alone
— put the sis in scoliosis (@tchaikovskythot) November 12, 2018
Harry Potter is not a good series!! Y’all are just nostalgic
— libra men are TRASH! (Ⓥote!!) (@pepelepubes) November 12, 2018
Apparently, a good number of people don’t buy into the popularity of the Potter series overall. Marvel’s latest cross feature, Infinity War, and the retired sitcom Friends were likewise roasted. These opinions and more were fiercely debated in the Twitter thread.
cheetah girls is superior to high school musical. music-wise, plot-wise, and cast-wise. that diversity ??? ooh chanel !! pic.twitter.com/lSaBElTloB
— laila (@lailagirlie) November 12, 2018
the crunch of a mcdonald’s nugget is unmatched and the other girls will just have to deal pic.twitter.com/PP2yeXhb6c
— ♥️ (@xoxmckayy) November 12, 2018
Of course, some of the opinions were more political than others. Some were blunt, honest, and funny like “men don’t deserve rights.”
Men don’t Deserve rights pic.twitter.com/RHxIxKilPy
— JAY-K 47 (@daddyOnIt) November 12, 2018
Of all the hot takes in response to the Hood Oracle’s request, @godisfenty might’ve had the most accurate take of all: “no pop girl group is touching miss grande right now.” Indeed Ariana Grande’s surprise single, “Thank U, Next” has broken numerous streaming records (and the internet).
Check out the thread for the best, and worst, opinions held by Twitter users—and feel free to pile on with a hot take yourself.
Alexis Tatum studies journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She's an editorial intern with the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Orange magazine and the Daily Texan.