- Twitch suspends streamer for wearing Chun-Li cosplay 1 Year Ago
- Report: 8 years of Trump tax returns subpoenaed by prosecutors 1 Year Ago
- Netflix lands exclusive streaming rights to ‘Seinfeld’ 1 Year Ago
- Jenny Slate sets first comedy special at Netflix Today 3:05 PM
- #EndSmearFear is aiming to save lives Today 2:54 PM
- Netflix ‘Living With Yourself’ trailer offers a double dose of Paul Rudd Today 2:07 PM
- How to stream the 2019-20 UEFA Champions League Today 2:04 PM
- Caitlyn Jenner ridiculed with transphobic jokes during Alec Baldwin roast Today 1:27 PM
- Brad Pitt confronts his daddy issues in the sci-fi epic ‘Ad Astra’ Today 1:20 PM
- People are stanning Elizabeth Warren’s respect for a train’s quiet car Today 1:16 PM
- Far-right mobs attacked queer kids after first Pride in Ukraine city Today 1:13 PM
- Influencer who photoshopped clouds into photos is partnering with the editing app Today 12:34 PM
- Lupita Nyong’o and Danai Gurira team up for ‘Americanah’ Today 12:29 PM
- Video shows cop mocking Black ninth-grader who was detained at bus stop Today 12:27 PM
- Has Trump reversed course on fighting a war for the Saudis? Today 12:20 PM
Memes are often used to mock things people don’t like. While that can be fun, it’s nice to see one that showcases cooperation instead. That’s the idea with the new “hands” meme that seems to be all over Twitter lately. The object labeling meme allows users to showcase (often disparate) groups that come together over a common interest or goal.
For instance, it doesn’t matter if you’re a little kid or a hardcore goth, you’re gonna love Halloween.
It'll be here before you know it pic.twitter.com/jfEG1OdiVg— Sav is gettin married! (@doodlefrog) August 7, 2018
Also, it doesn’t matter if you’re a dad who went to high school in the ’80s, or a queer teen today: You can bond over Depeche Mode.
This one tho pic.twitter.com/q80QBoe15x— Madre Muerte (@bloodIust_) August 9, 2018
The list goes on and on.
i'm obsessed with these memes pic.twitter.com/gpa5GTQ2o4— rowan (@brigsbeebear) August 15, 2018
We came up with this last night pic.twitter.com/xfDGYAq9jp— Pola (@bitterpola) August 17, 2018
some thoughts pic.twitter.com/o9Dh6qa1tK— avocado baby (@wine_dad) August 19, 2018
It’s not unlike the “Epic Handshake” meme from Predator that recently made a comeback.
Or just the classic “Business Handshake” meme.
The new meme allows you to add more groups based on the number of hands available.
So does this meme perhaps herald a new era of understanding and cooperation among different races, religions, and political factions? Probably not, but it’s nice to know that we can all at least agree that churros are delicious.
Hey, it’s a start.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.