- People are crying over these cats’ window-sill romance 8 Months Ago
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme is all about being comforted 8 Months Ago
- Parody video totally nails what men are like on Tinder 8 Months Ago
- Twitch star AriLove latest woman to be arbitrarily banned for ‘sexually suggestive’ attire 8 Months Ago
- Report: 5,000 Twitter bots pushed ‘Russiagate hoax’ after Mueller report Today 11:15 AM
- Google Trends show how differently Notre Dame and Sri Lanka are being mourned Today 10:50 AM
- Harvard centrists get relentlessly clowned for asking Bernie about socialism Today 10:38 AM
- Flex your knowledge of dank memes with What Do You Meme? card game Today 10:33 AM
- Facebook’s new general counsel helped craft the ‘Patriot Act’ Today 10:26 AM
- Get a free month of live TV streaming while this Philo deal lasts Today 10:11 AM
- Netflix announces teen lesbian rom-com Today 10:00 AM
- Which direwolves are left in ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 9:24 AM
- 15 Cards Against Humanity expansions that everyone should own Today 9:23 AM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ premiere brings no spoilers, but plenty of emotion Today 9:03 AM
- Kamala Harris calls on House to begin impeachment proceeding against Trump Today 8:46 AM
The cooperation in this meme is beautiful.
Memes are often used to mock things people don’t like. While that can be fun, it’s nice to see one that showcases cooperation instead. That’s the idea with the new “hands” meme that seems to be all over Twitter lately. The object labeling meme allows users to showcase (often disparate) groups that come together over a common interest or goal.
For instance, it doesn’t matter if you’re a little kid or a hardcore goth, you’re gonna love Halloween.
It'll be here before you know it pic.twitter.com/jfEG1OdiVg
— Sav is gettin married! (@doodlefrog) August 7, 2018
Also, it doesn’t matter if you’re a dad who went to high school in the ’80s, or a queer teen today: You can bond over Depeche Mode.
This one tho pic.twitter.com/q80QBoe15x
— Madre Muerte (@bloodIust_) August 9, 2018
The list goes on and on.
i'm obsessed with these memes pic.twitter.com/gpa5GTQ2o4
— rowan (@brigsbeebear) August 15, 2018
We came up with this last night pic.twitter.com/xfDGYAq9jp
— Pola (@bitterpola) August 17, 2018
— James Slaymaker (@jmslaymaker) August 16, 2018
some thoughts pic.twitter.com/o9Dh6qa1tK
— avocado baby (@wine_dad) August 19, 2018
It’s not unlike the “Epic Handshake” meme from Predator that recently made a comeback.
Or just the classic “Business Handshake” meme.
The new meme allows you to add more groups based on the number of hands available.
So does this meme perhaps herald a new era of understanding and cooperation among different races, religions, and political factions? Probably not, but it’s nice to know that we can all at least agree that churros are delicious.
— HardcorePixel™ (@HardcorePixel) August 17, 2018
Hey, it’s a start.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.