- Ocasio-Cortez’s Twitch appearance isn’t a gimmick—it’s a strategy 5 Months Ago
- Viral video shows an egg getting a hot makeover Tuesday 7:56 PM
- New Netflix feature broadcasts what you’re watching via Instagram Tuesday 6:11 PM
- Videos show alleged Covington teens harassing women, making rape jokes at march Tuesday 4:13 PM
- MAGA teen gets ‘Today Show’ interview—and people are pissed Tuesday 3:38 PM
- Family says hacker sent fake North Korean missile warning through Nest camera Tuesday 2:42 PM
- This Arizona bill would tax internet porn to fund a border wall Tuesday 2:41 PM
- This meme is asking people how they draw the letter X Tuesday 1:18 PM
- Charlie Kirk’s love of U.S. healthcare system put to the test after back problems Tuesday 1:12 PM
- Fyre Fest caterer who was left broke has received $160,000 in donations Tuesday 12:58 PM
- The YouTuber who taught a dog to give the Nazi salute on command can’t find a job Tuesday 12:24 PM
- The ‘oh yeah yeah’ meme is flooding YouTube—and KSI can’t deal Tuesday 12:20 PM
- Did this d*ck-drawing Instagram star steal her gag from a rival runner? Tuesday 12:00 PM
- Rep. Steve King, best known for his racism, tweets a fake MLK quote Tuesday 11:54 AM
- Facebook is helping husbands ‘brainwash’ their wives with targeted ads Tuesday 11:35 AM
The cooperation in this meme is beautiful.
Memes are often used to mock things people don’t like. While that can be fun, it’s nice to see one that showcases cooperation instead. That’s the idea with the new “hands” meme that seems to be all over Twitter lately. The object labeling meme allows users to showcase (often disparate) groups that come together over a common interest or goal.
For instance, it doesn’t matter if you’re a little kid or a hardcore goth, you’re gonna love Halloween.
It'll be here before you know it pic.twitter.com/jfEG1OdiVg
— Sav is gettin married! (@doodlefrog) August 7, 2018
Also, it doesn’t matter if you’re a dad who went to high school in the ’80s, or a queer teen today: You can bond over Depeche Mode.
This one tho pic.twitter.com/q80QBoe15x
— Madre Muerte (@bloodIust_) August 9, 2018
The list goes on and on.
i'm obsessed with these memes pic.twitter.com/gpa5GTQ2o4
— rowan (@brigsbeebear) August 15, 2018
We came up with this last night pic.twitter.com/xfDGYAq9jp
— Pola (@bitterpola) August 17, 2018
— James Slaymaker (@jmslaymaker) August 16, 2018
some thoughts pic.twitter.com/o9Dh6qa1tK
— avocado baby (@wine_dad) August 19, 2018
It’s not unlike the “Epic Handshake” meme from Predator that recently made a comeback.
Or just the classic “Business Handshake” meme.
The new meme allows you to add more groups based on the number of hands available.
So does this meme perhaps herald a new era of understanding and cooperation among different races, religions, and political factions? Probably not, but it’s nice to know that we can all at least agree that churros are delicious.
— HardcorePixel™ (@HardcorePixel) August 17, 2018
Hey, it’s a start.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.