- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
The cooperation in this meme is beautiful.
Memes are often used to mock things people don’t like. While that can be fun, it’s nice to see one that showcases cooperation instead. That’s the idea with the new “hands” meme that seems to be all over Twitter lately. The object labeling meme allows users to showcase (often disparate) groups that come together over a common interest or goal.
For instance, it doesn’t matter if you’re a little kid or a hardcore goth, you’re gonna love Halloween.
It'll be here before you know it pic.twitter.com/jfEG1OdiVg— Sav is gettin married! (@doodlefrog) August 7, 2018
Also, it doesn’t matter if you’re a dad who went to high school in the ’80s, or a queer teen today: You can bond over Depeche Mode.
This one tho pic.twitter.com/q80QBoe15x— Madre Muerte (@bloodIust_) August 9, 2018
The list goes on and on.
i'm obsessed with these memes pic.twitter.com/gpa5GTQ2o4— rowan (@brigsbeebear) August 15, 2018
We came up with this last night pic.twitter.com/xfDGYAq9jp— Pola (@bitterpola) August 17, 2018
some thoughts pic.twitter.com/o9Dh6qa1tK— avocado baby (@wine_dad) August 19, 2018
It’s not unlike the “Epic Handshake” meme from Predator that recently made a comeback.
Or just the classic “Business Handshake” meme.
The new meme allows you to add more groups based on the number of hands available.
So does this meme perhaps herald a new era of understanding and cooperation among different races, religions, and political factions? Probably not, but it’s nice to know that we can all at least agree that churros are delicious.
Hey, it’s a start.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.