- Gynecologist explains why garlic shouldn’t go in vaginas Wednesday 7:08 PM
- People on Twitter are posting the 5 weirdest jobs they’ve had for this meme Wednesday 6:48 PM
- Mortal Kombat 11’s Jax ends slavery—and gamers are pissed Wednesday 5:46 PM
- GPS app gave hacker ability to remotely shut off car engines Wednesday 3:58 PM
- Scott Walker wore jeans for sexual assault awareness, and Twitter is reminding him of his misogynist past Wednesday 3:24 PM
- Hacked Lime scooters make sexual comments to riders Wednesday 3:03 PM
- ‘Bonding’ squanders its potential with weak jokes and limp structure Wednesday 2:49 PM
- The safest place for ‘Game of Thrones’ memes is in the crypts Wednesday 2:23 PM
- Report: Fortnite developer Epic Games is working employees into the ground Wednesday 1:57 PM
- Damian Lillard’s game-winning 3-pointer inspired a plethora of memes Wednesday 12:17 PM
- Gamers are blaming socialism for making the women in Mortal Kombat ‘ugly’ Wednesday 11:36 AM
- Nickelodeon is selling SpongeBob toys based on popular memes Wednesday 11:25 AM
- Alex Jones protests outside the White House by shouting the name of his website Wednesday 11:13 AM
- ‘I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson’ has an absurd conclusion for every scenario Wednesday 10:52 AM
- Twitch star TF Blade banned for racial slur—but he swears he didn’t say it Wednesday 10:43 AM
Grandma delivers on Thanksgiving dinner for the teen she randomly texted
She came through!
A couple of weeks ago, everyone enjoyed the feel-good story of a grandmother who accidentally texted a Thanksgiving invitation to a random teen, then told him he was welcome to come despite the mixup. Well, grandma came through! The two met in person Thursday, according to Arizona news station ABC 15.
Wanda Dench meant to text her real grandson, but instead she got Jamal Hinton, who became her “honorary grandson” after they exchanged selfies. He may have just been joking when he asked “can I get a plate?” but the invitation was sincere, and he took her up on it.
“I’d never seen her before and she welcomed me into her home,” 17-year-old Hinton told ABC 15. “That shows me how great of a person she is, I’m thankful for people like that.”
And did he get a plate? Hell yeah. Turkey, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, cheesecake .. grandma’s got the full spread.
“Grandma’s the GOAT,” Jamal said. The greatest of all time.
Dench didn’t think what she did was anything out of the ordinary, though. As she said in her text message, “that’s what grandmas do, feed everyone.”
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.