- Como ver la pelea de Canelo Alvarez vs. Rocky Fielding gratis Today 4:00 AM
- Jury drops ticket for white guy who played ‘F*ck Tha Police’ around cop Wednesday 8:13 PM
- Woman pens open letter about getting baby product ads after her son was stillborn Wednesday 6:09 PM
- Queen’s ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ is now the most-streamed song from the 20th century Wednesday 5:16 PM
- Russian TV praises robot that is really a dude in a costume Wednesday 4:28 PM
- This YouTuber put semi-permanent freckles on her face—and it was a catastrophe Wednesday 3:57 PM
- 2020 campaign job postings online fuel speculation frenzy Wednesday 1:48 PM
- Here’s everything to look forward to from Netflix in 2019 Wednesday 1:43 PM
- Sean Hannity busted deleting his old Michael Cohen tweets Wednesday 12:34 PM
- Michael Cohen calls working for Trump ‘mental incarceration’ during sentencing Wednesday 12:13 PM
- Germany just experienced an enormous chocolate spill—and it looks absolutely delicious Wednesday 10:58 AM
- A professor asked his students to go viral, and it actually worked Wednesday 10:38 AM
- Family says racist bullying led to 9-year-old’s suicide Wednesday 9:57 AM
- How ‘Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse’ found its eye-popping animation Wednesday 9:15 AM
- Netflix gives Selena Quintanilla the series our queen deserves Wednesday 8:51 AM
#GiveMoreThanTrump raises the thousands for charity that Trump never did
All proceeds will benefit the American Refugee Committee.
Finally some good is coming from Donald Trump’s stinginess. A GoFundMe campaign vowing to give more to charity than Trump ever did has raised over eight times its goal amount.
The Republican nominee is pretty shitty with his finances. He thinks his wild business losses in the ’90s made him smart because they kept him from paying taxes for two decades. Hell, he’s probably patting himself on the back right now for the paltry $10,000 he’s given in charitable donations from 2009 until this summer.
Owen Ellickson, the man behind the GoFundMe and the creator of the hilarious Trump Leaks tweet series, imagines things a little differently.
TRUMP: My charitable giving is mainly golf-based. When I pass a Manhattan bum I tell ’em, “Nine holes on me next time you’re in Bali.”
— Owen Ellickson (@onlxn) September 7, 2016
The South Pasadena dad and TV producer gained internet acclaim for his imagined dialogues lampooning the election climate we’re in. They tell a story, which fans became a part of if they donated the right amount: $20 got you a finally crafted Trump Leak insult, while $50 is worth a two-person scene between Speaker of the House Paul Ryan and the Donald. It’s pretty amazing that the $100 donation prize effectively ranks Chris Christie above Ryan, but then again, look who’s fetching that McDonald’s order.
Those who wanted to go balls to the wall and flaunt that wealth like the man himself donated $200. Not only were they helping the American Refugee Commitee, but they effectively got whatever Trump Leak players they wanted to talk about them specifically, because nothing says Trump like a stroke of the ego.
The Daily Dot has reached out to Ellickson about the campaign and is awaiting a response. At its close, over $81,000 had been raised. That’s about $20,000 more than the Art of the Deal‘s latest royalty check, which was swiftly donated to the National Immigration Law Center by author Tony Schwartz.
This was incredible… thanks so much to everyone for giving and spreading the word. I wouldn’t trade this team for nobody. NOBODY!
— Owen Ellickson (@onlxn) October 5, 2016
A former Weekend Editor at the Daily Dot, April Siese's reporting covers everything from technology and politics to web culture and humor. Her work has been published by Bustle, Uproxx, Death and Taxes, Rolling Stone, the Daily Beast, Thrillist, Atlas Obscura, and others. Siese joined Quartz in December 2016.