- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Friday 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Friday 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Friday 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Friday 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Friday 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Friday 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Friday 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Friday 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Friday 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Friday 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Friday 7:56 AM
The ‘f**k your zodiac’ meme judges your character with questions that matter
What character do you choose in Mario Kart?
There are few phrases out there more daunting than “What’s your zodiac sign?” The question comes loaded with expectations of who you are and how you act, all the while exposing your darkest personality quirks based on your answer. Aquarius? Emotional detachment and unrealistic ideas will be your downfall. Leo? You’re as selfish as they come. And where do you even begin with Scorpios?
The pressure of living up to your sun sign’s hype while seamlessly avoiding the pitfalls of your moon sign is real. That’s the idea behind the “fuck your zodiac sign” meme that has people on Twitter abandoning their zodiac signs for other singular aspects of their personalities.
Described by KnowYourMeme as a “phrasal template,” the meme allows users on social media to create their own jokes from the original open-ended statement. “Fuck your zodiac sign” cues people to abandon their zodiac identifiers for other character traits.
For example, instead of offering their moon sign, people use the meme share their choice of Mario Kart character or episode of The Office. With the answer, you get an assessment of a person based on one fact about them, just as you would with a birth chart.
The meme rose to popularity in early August after Twitter user @peedekaf tweeted “Fuck your zodiac sign, what’s your favorite Lil Peep song,” paying homage to the late underground rapper.
FUCK YOUR ZODIAC SIGN, whats your favorite lil peep song?— ricardo (@peedekaf) August 13, 2018
The meme quickly gained traction, and it’s been off to the races ever since.
Fuck your zodiac sign what character do u choose to play in Mario kart— avocado thottie (@lildedjanet) August 19, 2018
fuck your zodiac sign were you a greek mythology kid or an egyptian mythology kid— trish (@ULTRAGLOSS) August 20, 2018
fuck a zodiac sign what deep rooted trauma actually shaped your personality?— Mize (@mizedub) August 20, 2018
Fuck your zodiac sign, what’s your favorite episode of The Office?— m (@NotoriousG_O_D) August 19, 2018
I don't care what your zodiac sign is. What's your Whataburger order?— Whataburger® (@Whataburger) August 22, 2018
fuck ur zodiac sign what’s ur hogwarts house— conan gray (@conangray) August 22, 2018
Fuck your zodiac sign, what did your Eevee evolve into??— The Gay Burn Book (@SouthernHomo) August 22, 2018
FUCK YOUR ZODIAC SIGN DO YOU LEAVE THE VOLUME ON THE TV ON AN UNEVEN NUMBER OR NOT— Spanky McDutcherson (@thatdutchperson) August 22, 2018
fuck your zodiac sign what’s your favorite hannah montana song?— Mariana Montana (@mmontana017) August 22, 2018
Fuck ur zodiac sign, can you sit with me for a full 9 innings while the Dodgers are down?— Joanna (@jojoarre) August 21, 2018
fuck your zodiac sign how many watt is your microwave— zach (@zach2302) August 20, 2018
According to Google trends, the meme is seeing its most geographical prominence in the U.S. As of August, the search term “fuck your zodiac” hit its highest interest to date.
So the next time someone asks you the horrifying question, inform them that it’s out with your old star-crossed mess and in with your new, real sign.
Onaje McDowelle is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot. He is studying journalism and African and African Diaspora Studies at the University of Texas at Austin. His work has appeared in Austin Monthly magazine, GoodMusicAllDay, and Orange magazine.