- Netflix’s ‘Jupiter’s Legacy’ loses showrunner halfway through filming 1 Year Ago
- ‘Disenchantment’ season 2 starts strong but falls into familiar trappings Today 7:00 AM
- Are Ben Shapiro fans organizing against his opponents on Twitter? Today 6:30 AM
- iPhone overloaded? Here’s how to cancel app subscriptions Monday 11:02 PM
- Fan-created ‘app’ lets users experience the final moments of the ill-fated Jeremy Renner app Monday 10:00 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos receives lifetime ban from furry convention Monday 7:49 PM
- Snapchat just made all political ads purchased publicly available Monday 6:12 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Borussia Dortmund in Champions League action Monday 5:39 PM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Napoli in Champions League action Monday 5:19 PM
- How to make real money with Amazon’s Mechanical Turk Monday 5:03 PM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Valencia in the Champions League Monday 4:47 PM
- ‘SNL’ fires Shane Gillis for racist, homophobic comments Monday 4:41 PM
- Ben Shapiro wants accusers to describe Brett Kavanaugh’s penis Monday 4:30 PM
- Twitch suspends streamer for wearing Chun-Li cosplay Monday 4:11 PM
- Report: 8 years of Trump tax returns subpoenaed by prosecutors Monday 3:45 PM
There are few phrases out there more daunting than “What’s your zodiac sign?” The question comes loaded with expectations of who you are and how you act, all the while exposing your darkest personality quirks based on your answer. Aquarius? Emotional detachment and unrealistic ideas will be your downfall. Leo? You’re as selfish as they come. And where do you even begin with Scorpios?
The pressure of living up to your sun sign’s hype while seamlessly avoiding the pitfalls of your moon sign is real. That’s the idea behind the “fuck your zodiac sign” meme that has people on Twitter abandoning their zodiac signs for other singular aspects of their personalities.
Described by KnowYourMeme as a “phrasal template,” the meme allows users on social media to create their own jokes from the original open-ended statement. “Fuck your zodiac sign” cues people to abandon their zodiac identifiers for other character traits.
For example, instead of offering their moon sign, people use the meme share their choice of Mario Kart character or episode of The Office. With the answer, you get an assessment of a person based on one fact about them, just as you would with a birth chart.
The meme rose to popularity in early August after Twitter user @peedekaf tweeted “Fuck your zodiac sign, what’s your favorite Lil Peep song,” paying homage to the late underground rapper.
FUCK YOUR ZODIAC SIGN, whats your favorite lil peep song?— ricardo (@peedekaf) August 13, 2018
The meme quickly gained traction, and it’s been off to the races ever since.
Fuck your zodiac sign what character do u choose to play in Mario kart— avocado thottie (@lildedjanet) August 19, 2018
fuck your zodiac sign were you a greek mythology kid or an egyptian mythology kid— trish (@ULTRAGLOSS) August 20, 2018
fuck a zodiac sign what deep rooted trauma actually shaped your personality?— Mize (@mizedub) August 20, 2018
Fuck your zodiac sign, what’s your favorite episode of The Office?— m (@NotoriousG_O_D) August 19, 2018
I don't care what your zodiac sign is. What's your Whataburger order?— Whataburger® (@Whataburger) August 22, 2018
fuck ur zodiac sign what’s ur hogwarts house— conan gray (@conangray) August 22, 2018
Fuck your zodiac sign, what did your Eevee evolve into??— The Gay Burn Book (@SouthernHomo) August 22, 2018
FUCK YOUR ZODIAC SIGN DO YOU LEAVE THE VOLUME ON THE TV ON AN UNEVEN NUMBER OR NOT— Spanky McDutcherson (@thatdutchperson) August 22, 2018
fuck your zodiac sign what’s your favorite hannah montana song?— Mariana Montana (@mmontana017) August 22, 2018
Fuck ur zodiac sign, can you sit with me for a full 9 innings while the Dodgers are down?— Joanna (@jojoarre) August 21, 2018
fuck your zodiac sign how many watt is your microwave— zach (@zach2302) August 20, 2018
According to Google trends, the meme is seeing its most geographical prominence in the U.S. As of August, the search term “fuck your zodiac” hit its highest interest to date.
So the next time someone asks you the horrifying question, inform them that it’s out with your old star-crossed mess and in with your new, real sign.
Onaje McDowelle is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot. He is studying journalism and African and African Diaspora Studies at the University of Texas at Austin. His work has appeared in Austin Monthly magazine, GoodMusicAllDay, and Orange magazine.