- Eric Trump says cocktail waitress spit on him in Chicago bar 4 Weeks Ago
- Maine governor signs net neutrality bill into law 4 Weeks Ago
- How the QAnon movement continues without its messenger Today 8:26 AM
- 6 best Korean beauty products for summer Today 8:17 AM
- ‘The Office’ is leaving Netflix in 2021 Today 7:46 AM
- How to install the iOS 13 beta and test out its best new features Today 7:42 AM
- Swipe This! I want my boyfriend to text me everyday. Is that crazy? Today 7:30 AM
- Why every 2020 Democrat is canceled Today 7:01 AM
- The best LGBTQ movies and series on Amazon Prime Today 7:00 AM
- The easiest way to stream all the soccer you can handle Today 6:00 AM
- Facebook refused to take down this blackface page for 4 months Today 5:30 AM
- Tom Holland rescues fan getting squashed by autograph hounds Tuesday 7:14 PM
- What is incel ‘Chadfishing’? Tuesday 6:36 PM
- Facebook to give France data on users suspected of hate speech Tuesday 5:29 PM
- This 89-year-old man is stunned by all the technology around him—in 1930 Tuesday 5:21 PM
Mom’s ‘Frog and Toad’ T-shirt for 3-year-old comes with surprise N.W.A. lyric
A Benton, Illinois, mom was surprised to learn that her daughter is the youngest N.W.A. fan on the internet. At least, that’s what her new T-shirt implies.
After ordering a T-shirt this month for her 3-year-old daughter, Kelsey Dawn Williamson reportedly received a slightly different product than what was advertised. The shirt, which features an illustration from the children’s book, Frog and Toad, includes a line popularized by the rap group N.W.A. in the ’80s, “Fuck Tha Police.”
Williamson commented to BuzzFeed News on Thursday that she is “profoundly confused” but finds the situation funny. A post prominently featuring a photo of her daughter has gone viral with 27,000 shares on Facebook in the two days since it was published. We’ve reached out to Williamson.
The shirt was purchased from AliExpress, an online retailer which operates out of China. It retails for about $5, and the name of the product is designed to appear in many searches for children’s clothes, as “Kids Two Frog Riding Design Baby Boys/Girl TShirt Kids Funny Short Sleeve Tops Children Cute T-Shirt.”
The photos of Williamson’s daughter, Salem, modeling the shirt have also made the rounds on Twitter. Many of the reactions were focused on the shirt’s comical juxtaposing of the controversial lyric with a scene from a children’s book. (The graphic has its origins as a Reddit meme, as BuzzFeed News points out.)
Others were critical of Salem even wearing the shirt. According to BuzzFeed News, Williamson said she has received many comments about her daughter’s weight in the photos. She said commenters either feel her shirt is too small, or that Williamson should be feeding her differently.
I’m crying at this little comrade. pic.twitter.com/50aqDuwRKb
— mel (@reginagorrge) May 29, 2019
Frog & Toad x NWA is the hot new streetwear collab
— Aaron S. Weber (@Short_epics) May 29, 2019
— JM Deutsch (@jm_deutsch) May 30, 2019
User @BethFrieden is more concerned with the fact that the illustration, which is from the children’s book Frog and Toad are Friends, has been misidentified as being from Wind in the Willows.
I love this but am concerned at how many people on this thread are misidentifying Frog and Toad from Arnold Lobel's brilliant Frog and Toad Are Friends: https://t.co/xHQDXLVP4X – Not Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graham! #ChildrensLitNerd #ACAB
— Beth Frieden (@BethFrieden) May 29, 2019
The Daily Dot has reached out to Alibaba Group, the company which owns AliExpress, for comment.
Brooke Sjoberg is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She is also the Daily Texan's Life and Arts Editor and an editorial intern for Texas Connect magazine.