- People have much love for the all-women moderator panel at the presidential debate Wednesday 10:03 PM
- Kamala Harris: Trump ‘got punked’ by North Korea Wednesday 9:53 PM
- Biden on domestic violence: We need to keep ‘punching’ Wednesday 9:47 PM
- Amy Klobuchar says she raised $17,000 from ex-boyfriends Wednesday 9:16 PM
- Trump’s campaign is a fan of Tulsi Gabbard’s attack on the Democratic party Wednesday 9:07 PM
- 50 Cent makes Instagram return with transphobic meme Wednesday 8:34 PM
- Lyft driver attacks female passenger after she refused to turn off music Wednesday 7:30 PM
- J.J. Watt posted his phone number online, wants fans to text him Wednesday 6:22 PM
- How a normal redditor becomes a conspiracy theorist Wednesday 5:48 PM
- ‘Bikram’ is not a great film, but it is a document of justice Wednesday 5:43 PM
- Congress is concerned Amazon isn’t safeguarding Ring videos Wednesday 5:40 PM
- Twitter urged to suspend Tory Party Twitter account after it ‘misled’ the public Wednesday 4:56 PM
- This former stripper has the best Humans of New York story of all time Wednesday 4:47 PM
- How to watch tonight’s 2020 Democratic debate Wednesday 4:21 PM
- ‘Dollface’ offers a narrow vision of womanhood Wednesday 3:56 PM
A Benton, Illinois, mom was surprised to learn that her daughter is the youngest N.W.A. fan on the internet. At least, that’s what her new T-shirt implies.
After ordering a T-shirt this month for her 3-year-old daughter, Kelsey Dawn Williamson reportedly received a slightly different product than what was advertised. The shirt, which features an illustration from the children’s book, Frog and Toad, includes a line popularized by the rap group N.W.A. in the ’80s, “Fuck Tha Police.”
Williamson commented to BuzzFeed News on Thursday that she is “profoundly confused” but finds the situation funny. A post prominently featuring a photo of her daughter has gone viral with 27,000 shares on Facebook in the two days since it was published. We’ve reached out to Williamson.
The shirt was purchased from AliExpress, an online retailer which operates out of China. It retails for about $5, and the name of the product is designed to appear in many searches for children’s clothes, as “Kids Two Frog Riding Design Baby Boys/Girl TShirt Kids Funny Short Sleeve Tops Children Cute T-Shirt.”
The photos of Williamson’s daughter, Salem, modeling the shirt have also made the rounds on Twitter. Many of the reactions were focused on the shirt’s comical juxtaposing of the controversial lyric with a scene from a children’s book. (The graphic has its origins as a Reddit meme, as BuzzFeed News points out.)
Others were critical of Salem even wearing the shirt. According to BuzzFeed News, Williamson said she has received many comments about her daughter’s weight in the photos. She said commenters either feel her shirt is too small, or that Williamson should be feeding her differently.
I’m crying at this little comrade. pic.twitter.com/50aqDuwRKb— mel (@reginagorrge) May 29, 2019
Frog & Toad x NWA is the hot new streetwear collab— Aaron S. Weber (@Short_epics) May 29, 2019
User @BethFrieden is more concerned with the fact that the illustration, which is from the children’s book Frog and Toad are Friends, has been misidentified as being from Wind in the Willows.
I love this but am concerned at how many people on this thread are misidentifying Frog and Toad from Arnold Lobel's brilliant Frog and Toad Are Friends: https://t.co/xHQDXLVP4X - Not Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graham! #ChildrensLitNerd #ACAB— Beth Frieden (@BethFrieden) May 29, 2019
The Daily Dot has reached out to Alibaba Group, the company which owns AliExpress, for comment.
Brooke Sjoberg is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She is also the Daily Texan's Life and Arts Editor and an editorial intern for Texas Connect magazine.