- #ICEBae is reportedly a Democrat–and she has some things to get off her chest Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Fans are stoked that Taika Waititi is back to direct ‘Thor 4’ Tuesday 7:22 PM
- Sacha Baron Cohen thanks ‘co-stars’ Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin for making Emmy nominations possible Tuesday 6:43 PM
- Roger Stone barred from posting on all social media platforms Tuesday 6:03 PM
- The FaceApp challenge shows you how gracefully you’ll age Tuesday 5:16 PM
- Kylie Jenner opens up about her mental health in candid Instagram post Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Fans speculate wildly about Naomi Watts’ ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel role after leaked set photo Tuesday 3:54 PM
- New Jersey congressman joins House Democrats ‘Squad’ because of an Onion article Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy Tuesday 1:54 PM
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him Tuesday 1:37 PM
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Tuesday 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Tuesday 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Tuesday 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Tuesday 12:02 PM
They’re just too cute.
Players that purchase a Season 6 Battle Pass can grind experience points and unlock three different pets: A dog, a chameleon, and a tiny dragon. It’s a pretty nifty little cosmetic, albeit a simple one. Pets just sit on your back and hang out as you run around the game killing opponents, and they don’t provide any gameplay improvements. They’re just furry friends.
But pets are pets, and the internet loves pets, so it didn’t take long for Twitter to collectively lose its cool after the feature leaked.
THERE ARE NOW PETS IN FORTNITE. I REPEAT. PETS. IN. FORTNITE. THIS IS NOT A DRILL— Samara Redway (@samararedway) September 27, 2018
look at that doggo omg pic.twitter.com/vkklqlya9n— Mike Jerry (@xitsmike) September 26, 2018
I need those pets on fortnite— Kory Arruda (@LiquidSymbolic) September 27, 2018
Fortnite has pets now so please don't contact me for anything ever again— New James+ (@iyagovos) September 27, 2018
Imagine calling your FUCKING PET WEREWOLF TO HUNT SOMEONE DOWN— Fortnite: Battle Royale Leaks (@FNBRLeaks) September 26, 2018
Fortnite: Introducing PETS!— Josh Stein (@steinekin) September 27, 2018
Me: Dropping Loot Lake meow! pic.twitter.com/Z241LYrH0N
Pets are so cool that Fortnite players are declaring Season 6 the best season to date. All hail Epic Games.
I’ve spent the last 15 minutes reading up on Season 6 of @FortniteGame This genuinely looks like it could be the best season yet. Tons of proper ballances, awesome skins, tons of interesting locations/additions to the map, and PETS!!!!!— Aaron Davis (@AaronWxDavis) September 27, 2018
I can’t wait to get off this afternoon
Fortnite giving us pets— Pigeon the Ripper (@Felino_EN) September 27, 2018
i love it pic.twitter.com/Jplc124IN3
Oh yeah, this is definitely the "win over the furries" seasonhttps://t.co/DgfmeGt6uH— Stomak (@solidstomak) September 27, 2018
Best part about Season 6 @FortniteGame...— Dr. Ocean Man (@DrOceanMan) September 27, 2018
Now with pets, lots of capes and even music! Probably the best battle pass so far
But there are so many unanswered questions about the pets’ appearance in Fortnite. Players regularly shoot, bludgeon, and explode their opponents to death, so it’s unclear if the pets are safe during any of the game’s firefights. Others flat out refuse to kill anyone with a pet, because why would you do that?
Oh God, Fortnite's pets. WHAT HAPPENS TO THEM WHEN YOU DIE? pic.twitter.com/hHCwU1omQ6— Leon Hurley (@LeonHurley) September 27, 2018
If fortnite adds pets, catch me playin PUBG, I’m not about to shoot a fucking dog— FaZe Hazz (@Hazz) September 26, 2018
I swear if they make us hurt these pixel animals— Austin (@Pamaj) September 26, 2018
Me if anyone shoots my fortnite pet pic.twitter.com/yrexvZyYAL— l (@ahmadjawadd) September 27, 2018
Most importantly of all, everyone agrees that Fortnite’s new feature is about to take away their hard-earned cash.
If pets come to Fortnite I will officially go broke— Maddy (@Maddynf) September 26, 2018
Fortnite pets pic.twitter.com/5Th1CzwYyh— Adam (@AdamJ1233) September 26, 2018
Oh god fortnite added in pets. Goodbye to all of your bank accounts— Vita (@Viitamin_R) September 27, 2018
pETS?— jojo beatsolos (@bitsolos) September 26, 2018
FORTNITE IM BROKE ALREADY PLS DONT DO THIS TO ME https://t.co/2lO3t9Nutq
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa fucking fuck fortnite season six has a hot werewolf skin and pets just fuck it take all my money forever fuck I hate myself— Monster Hunter Mutt (@Muttbunch3r) September 27, 2018
Then again, all of our Neopets, Nintendogs, and Tamagotchi haven’t been fed in a long time. Maybe we should skip out on getting another virtual pet until we take care of our others first.
I just hope my pets in Fortnite don't suffer the same fate as my Nintendogs— Lachlan ⚡️ (@LachlanYT) September 26, 2018
webkinz had it rough— emily (@lightswatts) September 26, 2018
In the meantime, you can get your own pupper by purchasing a Season 6 Battle Pass in Fortnite: Battle Royale. To get started, head over to Epic Games’ official website and set up an Epic Games account. Fortnite is available for free across PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch, iOS, and Android, and the Season 6 Battle Pass can be purchased for 950 V-Bucks (or $9.50).
Ana Valens is a reporter specializing in online queer communities, marginalized identities, and adult content creation. She is Daily Dot's Trans/Sex columnist. Her work has appeared at Vice, Vox, Truthout, Bitch Media, Kill Screen, Rolling Stone, and the Toast. She lives in Brooklyn, New York, and spends her free time developing queer adult games.