- ‘Stranger Things’ star’s new Netflix prank show is receiving backlash Today 9:04 AM
- How to watch ‘City on a Hill’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Euphoria’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- Meet the home brewer turning beer into a case for net neutrality Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Chile at the World Cup for free Today 6:15 AM
- 15 teen movies on Netflix that will make you laugh, cry, and cringe Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Estrella TV online for free Today 5:00 AM
- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Saturday 1:20 PM
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement Saturday 12:39 PM
- Hundreds of police officers belong to extremist Facebook groups, investigation finds Saturday 9:31 AM
- How to watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz online Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Late Night’ is a disappointing, tepid comedy Saturday 7:00 AM
Floyd Mayweather knocking out Conor McGregor inspired all these amazing memes
The internet knocked both fighters cold.
Floyd Mayweather, the best boxer of his generation, put on a fascinating farewell performance on Saturday night, knocking out UFC star Conor McGregor in the 10th round of their fight. Though McGregor, making his pro boxing debut, was given virtually no chance to succeed, he won a few rounds and surprised the masses by remaining competitive with Mayweather for much of the match.
Until this happened.
— Fancy Combat (@FancyCombat) August 27, 2017
Though McGregor—who was guaranteed $30 million but will likely make tens of millions more (Mayweather, meanwhile, was guaranteed a $100 million purse)—avoided taking Mayweather’s best punches until late in the fight, he couldn’t stop the Twitter memes from ultimately knocking him cold.
— ☇ASAP Sports News☇ (@ASAP_SportsNews) August 27, 2017
McGregor, after he recovers from the fight pic.twitter.com/IxYE0MbuAI
— Trenise Ferreira (@TreniseFerreira) August 27, 2017
Connor McGregor racist azz gone be sitting at home thinking bout this loss like: pic.twitter.com/2JIZY579J7
— X (@XLNB) August 27, 2017
— D. (@DenzAnonymous) August 27, 2017
— Bilal Khan (@notorious_billa) August 27, 2017
— LegendaryNegroSaiyan (@TheBlackSonGoku) August 27, 2017
life comes at you fast pic.twitter.com/iXNtitgAKJ
— BJ (@BASEDJESUS) August 27, 2017
— GHK Zyntexx (@ZyBintexx) August 27, 2017
— Jason Nawara (@JasonNawara) August 27, 2017
Twitter users also seemed to enjoy the outfit Mayweather wore during his ringwalk.
— Autumn Ward (@autumnbrookew) August 27, 2017
— Fuzzy_Cobra28 (@FuzzyCobra28) August 27, 2017
— Shane Burch (@Shane_Burch89) August 27, 2017
Some wondered about Mayweather’s documented issues with the IRS.
IRS gone be backstage waiting for Floyd like… pic.twitter.com/jBoIUMMTPw
— Eagles road to 16-0 (@jocjackson0) August 27, 2017
The IRS after Floyd won in the 10th round pic.twitter.com/sAe3QIIJf2
— X (@XLNB) August 27, 2017
Those who watched the fight legally had to spend $99 for the pay-per-view telecast. Not everybody, though, ended up paying.
After the fight, Mayweather said he was retiring for good, and McGregor said he’d return to the UFC. But for one night, millions of people got together, watched a fight that was much better than expected, and then celebrated by making fun of McGregor and Mayweather on the internet.
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.