- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
- TikTok teens use AirPods and Google Translate to secretly talk in class Saturday 4:32 PM
- Video shows corpses of coronavirus victims lying in China hospital Saturday 3:44 PM
- Kid meets Slipknot after drumming video goes viral Saturday 2:30 PM
- Channing Tatum responds to troll who tried to compare Jenna Dewan and Jessie J’s looks Saturday 1:46 PM
- Grindr pulls an ‘I don’t know her’ after Eminem suggests he uses the app Saturday 12:48 PM
- Here are the top 10 most popular Instagram models in 2020 Saturday 12:21 PM
- ‘The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’ takes its characters on a fantasy adventure to Hell in season 3 Saturday 11:37 AM
- Woman no longer in sorority, school after racist MLK post Saturday 10:45 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Miss Americana’ starts to deconstruct the myth of Taylor Swift Saturday 10:32 AM
- Teens charged with attempted arson after participating in TikTok ‘outlet challenge’ Saturday 8:56 AM
- ‘American Dirt’ is a metaphor for a white country built on the back of immigrants Saturday 6:00 AM
- This woman told two students to ‘speak English’ and people are not having it Friday 9:53 PM
A woman on Twitter is going viral after recounting how she caught an ex-boyfriend cheating thanks to a Fitbit.
Jane Slater, a reporter for the NFL Network, tweeted on Wednesday that the incident began when her then-boyfriend gifted her the fitness tracker during Christmas to match the one he already owned.
Through the product’s app, Slater and her unnamed cohort could then monitor one another’s physical activity levels.
“An Ex Boyfriend once got me a Fitbit for Christmas. I loved it,” Slater tweeted. “We synched up, motivated each other…”
But her feelings toward the wearable suddenly changed when she discovered an unexpected surge from her partner’s Fitbit early one morning.
“[D]idn’t hate it until he was unaccounted for at 4am and his physical activity levels were spiking on the app,” Slater wrote.
An Ex Boyfriend once got me a Fitbit for Christmas. I loved it. We synched up, motivated each other... didn’t hate it until he was unaccounted for at 4am and his physical activity levels were spiking on the app 🥴wish the story wasn’t real. https://t.co/npRkLJYYz0— Jane Slater (@SlaterNFL) December 5, 2019
And for those wondering, Slater made sure to point out that the activity wasn’t caused by her ex getting busy at the gym.
“Spoiler alert: he was not enrolled in an OrangeTheory class at 4am,” Slater added.
Spoiler alert: he was not enrolled in an OrangeTheory class at 4am.— Jane Slater (@SlaterNFL) December 5, 2019
The harrowing tale, in response to a tweet about the recent Peloton exercise bike debacle, quickly garnered over 13,000 retweets and 160,000 likes.
Slater received both praise for retelling the story as well as condolences for enduring what could only be described as a relationship issue that only the 21st century could create.
Every female who reads this is about to get their man a fit bit.— Dominique Clare (@DomClare) December 5, 2019
Emmanuel Acho, a colleague of Slater’s working for ESPN, labeled the tweet as high-grade.
“Phenomenal story telling lol,” Acho said.
This is one of your highest grade tweets. Phenomenal story telling lol— Emmanuel Acho (@thEMANacho) December 5, 2019
Another Twitter user argued that the story made one of her own hellish breakups seem much less horrible in comparison.
I now feel much better about my absolute shittiest break up ever.— Catherine (@CatherineLPC) December 5, 2019
Of course, no viral internet story would be complete without the addition of memes. Perhaps her boyfriend was just busy watching Cops?
Maybe he was watching cops pic.twitter.com/quMCNKD3VK— Coach Aaron Cook (@aircoach7) December 5, 2019
Another woman even claimed to have caught her ex-husband cheating thanks to a similar fitness wearable.
“Jane! My ex husband got caught in an affair because he was wearing the training watch and heartbeat monitor my mom bought him for Christmas – while ‘running.'” Twitter user @carey_gibbons wrote. “It was the under-one-minute heart rate spike that confirmed things for me! #prematuresayswhat.”
Jane! My ex husband got caught in an affair because he was wearing the training watch and heartbeat monitor my mom bought him for Christmas - while “running”. It was the under-one-minute heart rate spike that confirmed things for me! #prematuresayswhat— cooey (@carey_gibbons) December 5, 2019
Sadly though, that wasn’t Slater’s only bad breakup story. The sports reporter also recounted a time when a boyfriend allegedly brought home another woman while intoxicated.
“I also had a guy get drunk and bring another girl home forgetting I was spending the night there,” Slater added. “We were set to go to church the next morning and I stayed in to get sleep. I could write a book.”
I also had a guy get drunk and bring another girl home forgetting I was spending the night there. We were set to go to church the next morning and I stayed in to get sleep. I could write a book.— Jane Slater (@SlaterNFL) December 5, 2019
For what it’s worth, Slater says she can now look back on the Fitbit fiasco and laugh.
My girlfriend once said “one day we will laugh about this” as I sobbed uncontrollably in the car. I have now many times bahahahah— Jane Slater (@SlaterNFL) December 5, 2019
The story isn’t at all unbelievable given that people have been caught doing just about everything due to devices like the Fitbit.
Data on a fitness tracker helped secure a murder conviction in 2017, while the devices were even partly banned by the U.S. military last year after soldiers inadvertently exposed the locations of secret bases.
Mikael Thalen is a tech and security reporter based in Seattle, covering social media, data breaches, hackers, and more.