- Gina Rodriguez slammed for promoting ‘American Dirt’ 3 Years Ago
- Netflix says ‘The Witcher’ is its biggest show. Is it really? 3 Years Ago
- Tulsi Gabbard sues Hillary Clinton for podcast comments 3 Years Ago
- Lizzo reps Beyoncé’s Ivy Park collection in adult-themed TikTok Today 7:58 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Eye for an Eye’ is a fun but messy thriller about revenge Today 7:00 AM
- Which 2020 Democratic candidates post the most cringe? Today 6:30 AM
- The new ‘Hunger Games’ book paints President Snow as a hero—and people are not happy Tuesday 9:03 PM
- Influencer called out for ‘troubling image’ with Kenyan child Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Professor arrested for spending $185K of grant money on iTunes and strippers Tuesday 7:28 PM
- Man cuts his books in half to make them ‘portable,’ spurs online debate Tuesday 6:09 PM
- Fans defend Lana Del Rey after she was mocked for flying commercial Tuesday 5:10 PM
- Lady Gaga fans find alleged new song name in her website’s code Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Barstool Sports deletes anti-union tweets, blog post in settlement Tuesday 3:47 PM
- The ‘can have … as a treat’ meme has come full circle Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Joe Rogan says he’s voting for Bernie Sanders Tuesday 2:54 PM
Donald Trump hosted his first Easter Egg Roll as president, an annual event dating back to the Madison administration, bringing kids to the White House lawn for an afternoon of fun.
A crowd of 21,000 was expected to attend, and at the onset of the event, Trump addressed the crowd from the Truman Balcony. Accompanying him was a future meme.
Yes, that bunny standing next to the president was destined to become the True Detective season 2 of Monday, April 17 Twitter. Just about every Twitter joke was recycled in the name of this rabbit.
*record scratch*— Jordyn Taylor (@jordynhtaylor) April 17, 2017
Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation. pic.twitter.com/M6PJUO9nWF
siri show me worst hip-hop trio of all time pic.twitter.com/8bZP8AHZCZ— CONWAY TWEETY (@edsbs) April 17, 2017
don't agree with him on everything but really classy of Joe Biden to come back for the egg hunt. It really is about the kids. https://t.co/MXF5tRcUWC— Tim Murphy (@timothypmurphy) April 17, 2017
Let the Hunger Games begin! https://t.co/RYtej21EFK— Nasri Atallah (@NasriAtallah) April 17, 2017
Lots of people used the bunny to point out Trump’s flimsy rationale for nominating some cabinet members.
The Easter Bunny was a little shocked to learn that he's been placed in charge of our Syria policy. pic.twitter.com/rMYkynlDqf— Kashana (@kashanacauley) April 17, 2017
Trump is joined (left to right) for the egg roll by the Treasury Secretary, a kidnap victim, and his head of military strategy pic.twitter.com/FF5aAPROfw— Rupert Myers (@RupertMyers) April 17, 2017
laugh now but this easter rabbit will soon be appointed to the national security council pic.twitter.com/O17KRlrEyX— Ziwe (@ziwe) April 17, 2017
who's the new press secretary pic.twitter.com/SQLWyQDH11— Dave Itzkoff (@ditzkoff) April 17, 2017
The children attending the event, who are still capable of enjoying simple bliss without always feeling the need to affect a facade of ironic disinterest, probably enjoyed the bunny and his big bunny glasses.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]