- Amid panic, YouTube says new terms of service won’t impact creators 3 Months Ago
- Opposing sides fight to control online narrative over Bolivian ‘coup’ 3 Months Ago
- How to sign up for the Disney+ bundle 3 Months Ago
- Instagram covers video costs for celebs who don’t get political 3 Months Ago
- T.I.’s daughter apparently unfollowed her dad on Instagram after hymen comment 3 Months Ago
- Meet ByteDance, the Chinese tech company behind TikTok 3 Months Ago
- Everything you need to know about investing app Robinhood Today 2:44 PM
- How to stream 49ers vs. Seahawks on Monday Night Football Today 1:43 PM
- Cops cuff Black man for eating sandwich on subway platform Today 1:29 PM
- Drake booed offstage by Frank Ocean fans Today 1:17 PM
- Trump says he’s meeting with vaping industry as administration readies new rules Today 12:42 PM
- Everything you need to know about Google Reverse Image Search Today 12:29 PM
- Hong Kong police caught on live stream shooting protester Today 12:26 PM
- Twitter proposes adding warnings to tweets with deepfakes Today 10:43 AM
- Dak Prescott’s pregame warmup becomes an instant meme Today 10:40 AM
Time to break out the tissues, because it looks like the iconic gap tooth of actress Dakota Johnson has officially closed.
Twitter users had a lot to say about it, and some of them responded with memes.
dakota johnson closed the gap in her teeth???? pic.twitter.com/o6w5EXBbMi— hunter harris (@hunteryharris) August 3, 2019
Johnson explained what happened to her gap during an appearance this week on The Tonight Show. She said that after having removed her permanent retainer, the gap closed by itself.
“I had a permeant retainer since I was like thirteen,” she told Jimmy Fallon, “and it was just glued to the back of my teeth. And I was having a lot of neck problems recently so my orthodontist she decided that it would be a good idea to take it off and see if my jaw sort of expanded and it helped me, and my gap closed by itself and I’m really upset about it too.”
She also told the audience to please respect her privacy at this time, right before assuring fans that it is possible her gap tooth could return.
“It’s going to come back,” she said. “The world of dentistry is so advanced.”
Since the news broke, the internet has been in collective mourning, with some dedicating videos commemorating the life of Johnson’s iconic gap tooth.
“Rest in peace to Dakota Johnson’s tooth gap, a legend in our community,” tweeted @elbirdilara, along with a video of Johnson putting a card in between the gap.
Rest in peace to Dakota Johnson's tooth gap, a legend in our community ❤ pic.twitter.com/r9ZYh9WPW6— dilara elbir (@elbirdilara) August 3, 2019
rip dakota johnson’s gap tooth gone but not forgotten pic.twitter.com/MhSv2G2ZWl— jenina (@suspjria) August 4, 2019
“This is the saddest i’ve even been. RIP Dakota Johnson’s tooth gap,” said @asofmor.
This is the saddest i’ve even been. RIP Dakota Johnson’s tooth gap 🙏🏼 pic.twitter.com/wFN3C8u0xu— s of ia (@asofmor) August 3, 2019
RIP To Dakota Johnson’s tooth gap she did so much for lesbian rights, we lost a legend today— count fagula (@roelonfilm) August 3, 2019
RIP Dakota Johnson’s gap tooth. Closed, but never forgotten.
Dominic-Madori Davis is a recent graduate of the University of Southern California. She covers the internet, politics, and social issues.