- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Saturday 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Saturday 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
Time to break out the tissues, because it looks like the iconic gap tooth of actress Dakota Johnson has officially closed.
Twitter users had a lot to say about it, and some of them responded with memes.
dakota johnson closed the gap in her teeth???? pic.twitter.com/o6w5EXBbMi— hunter harris (@hunteryharris) August 3, 2019
Johnson explained what happened to her gap during an appearance this week on The Tonight Show. She said that after having removed her permanent retainer, the gap closed by itself.
“I had a permeant retainer since I was like thirteen,” she told Jimmy Fallon, “and it was just glued to the back of my teeth. And I was having a lot of neck problems recently so my orthodontist she decided that it would be a good idea to take it off and see if my jaw sort of expanded and it helped me, and my gap closed by itself and I’m really upset about it too.”
She also told the audience to please respect her privacy at this time, right before assuring fans that it is possible her gap tooth could return.
“It’s going to come back,” she said. “The world of dentistry is so advanced.”
Since the news broke, the internet has been in collective mourning, with some dedicating videos commemorating the life of Johnson’s iconic gap tooth.
“Rest in peace to Dakota Johnson’s tooth gap, a legend in our community,” tweeted @elbirdilara, along with a video of Johnson putting a card in between the gap.
Rest in peace to Dakota Johnson's tooth gap, a legend in our community ❤ pic.twitter.com/r9ZYh9WPW6— dilara elbir (@elbirdilara) August 3, 2019
rip dakota johnson’s gap tooth gone but not forgotten pic.twitter.com/MhSv2G2ZWl— jenina (@suspjria) August 4, 2019
“This is the saddest i’ve even been. RIP Dakota Johnson’s tooth gap,” said @asofmor.
This is the saddest i’ve even been. RIP Dakota Johnson’s tooth gap 🙏🏼 pic.twitter.com/wFN3C8u0xu— s of ia (@asofmor) August 3, 2019
RIP To Dakota Johnson’s tooth gap she did so much for lesbian rights, we lost a legend today— count fagula (@roelonfilm) August 3, 2019
RIP Dakota Johnson’s gap tooth. Closed, but never forgotten.
Dominic-Madori Davis is a recent graduate of the University of Southern California. She covers the internet, politics, and social issues.