- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
Remix of Carly Fiorina’s nightmare lullaby is somehow even more terrifying
This will haunt your dreams.
Everyone was surprised when GOP presidential candidate and human man Ted Cruz made the unusual move of announcing a running mate before the end of the primary elections. They were more surprised when that running mate, Carly Fiorina, introduced herself by singing a little song about how much she loves Cruz’s two daughters.
It was perhaps intended as a sweet and humanizing moment from someone who’s been criticized for showing little emotion, but some saw it differently. Very differently. Look upon this nightmarish, Lynchian remix of Fiorina’s song from video editor Vic Berger IV and feel your soul attempt to slide out of your corporeal body.
Holy shit. This is a Cruz-Carly campaign dispatch from inside the Black Lodge in Twin Peaks. The popular sense that Cruz’s own family may not feel warmly toward him has been amplified to the highest degree. There is hellfire and there is some tastefully implied witchcraft. We’re looking at a work of avant-garde brilliance here.
This is likely not your first encounter with Berger, who was recently praised by the New Yorker for his bizarro brand of political satire. If nothing else, you’ll have seen this clip of failed presidential contender Jeb Bush proudly naming Apple products. MacBook Pro, baby!
His past work mostly decontextualizes actual clips of the candidates, laying bare their most obvious flaws. Jeb = awkward; D. Trump = tiny little fingies—but this new one places the Ted and Carly show in a new context. The context of actual hell.
And, in a happy bit of comedic timing, it arrived just before this video of Fiorina seemingly disappearing into a hole at a Cruz town hall.
There are 189 days left in this election.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.