- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez supports resolution that could lead to Trump’s impeachment Thursday 9:46 PM
- Ricardo Milos dancing memes are the new Rickroll Thursday 9:09 PM
- Laura Loomer sues Twitter, Muslim lobbying group over account ban Thursday 8:15 PM
- Far-right troll Ian Miles Cheong gets flamed for mocking a ‘Star Wars’ fan Thursday 6:17 PM
- Facebook says ‘millions,’ not ‘tens of thousands,’ affected by Instagram password bug Thursday 5:13 PM
- Leading 2020 Democrats mock redactions in Mueller report Thursday 4:04 PM
- 8 weed accessories for stealthy stoners Thursday 4:00 PM
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate players are now fighting on giant d*cks Thursday 3:37 PM
- Why are Facebook and Google translating this Spanish word into a racial slur? Thursday 3:32 PM
- Instagram page encourages meme creators to join a meme union Thursday 3:24 PM
- 28 smokin’ hot gifts for your stoner friend Thursday 1:33 PM
- The 5 most important conclusions from Robert Mueller’s report Thursday 1:28 PM
- Facebook bans many of the U.K.’s infamous far-right groups Thursday 1:15 PM
- Cersei and Tyrion Lannister learned about respect from Elmo Thursday 12:57 PM
- The Mueller Report includes a footnote about the pee tape Thursday 12:08 PM
Cardi B. jumps on 10-year challenge with high school performance of Lady Gaga song
It’s clear that 10 years ago, Cardi B. was already a star.
If you’ve been anywhere near social media in the last few days, you’ve no doubt seen people participating in the #10yearchallenge, alternately known as the #howdidagehityouchallenge or, if you’re feeling particularly confident in your current form, #glowup.
The idea is to post a picture of yourself from approximately ten years ago alongside a current photo to show how much you’ve changed.
Even celebrities got in on the challenge.
— Reese Witherspoon (@RWitherspoon) January 15, 2019
And, of course, it wasn’t long before brands started using it for marketing.
— Subway® UK (@SubwayUK) January 15, 2019
Eventually, the whole thing became a meme.
Usually, a brand tweeting a meme would signal the end of a meme, but if there’s one person who can keep the trend alive, it’s Belcalis Marlenis Almánzar, aka Cardi B. The “Bodak Yellow” rapper gifted fans with a short video clip of an old high school performance. The video, posted to Instagram, shows Cardi performing the Lady Gaga song “Bad Romance” while a group of friends dance in the background.
Yes, that song is nearly ten years old now.
Although it was posted less than 24 hours ago, the video has already racked up over 6.7 million views. It’s kind of hard to make out the words over the screaming fans as Cardi hits the stage. It’s clear that while she wasn’t a household name yet, Cardi B. was already a star. She didn’t include a current video or picture to go along with the throwback post, but then again we don’t really need that when it comes to Cardi B. do we?
Although if you’re the kind of person who craves a feeling of completeness you can check out the official (NSFW) video for Cardi’s newest single below. It’s for the song “Money” which currently sits at number 17 on the Billboard charts, and the video itself has over 33 million views. Not bad for ten years.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.