- Queso recipe gets launched to space Today 10:09 AM
- ‘Isabelle Facts’ was a wholesome queer meme account—until harassers showed up Today 8:28 AM
- 2016 election stories the ‘Newsroom’ reboot will cover Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Brandon Rios vs. Humberto Soto for free Today 6:00 AM
- ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ heads to ‘Bly Manor’ for next installment Today 5:45 AM
- How to stream James DeGale vs. Chris Eubank Jr. for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 145 in Prague for free Today 5:00 AM
- R. Kelly charged in Chicago with multiple counts of sex abuse Friday 7:51 PM
- Elon Musk finally hosts PewDiePie’s meme review Friday 6:27 PM
- Netflix throws ‘Umbrella Academy’-themed wedding for fans Friday 4:54 PM
- Report: Facebook collects app data on users’ body weight, menstrual cycles Friday 3:38 PM
- Amy Klobuchar reportedly ate salad with a comb, and Twitter’s got questions Friday 2:47 PM
- Nobody likes Spotify’s new update Friday 2:34 PM
- Student assaulted on campus while tabling for right-wing group Friday 1:56 PM
- Kim Kardashian West sues fashion company for using her likeness to sell clothes Friday 1:12 PM
Cardi B. jumps on 10-year challenge with high school performance of Lady Gaga song
It’s clear that 10 years ago, Cardi B. was already a star.
If you’ve been anywhere near social media in the last few days, you’ve no doubt seen people participating in the #10yearchallenge, alternately known as the #howdidagehityouchallenge or, if you’re feeling particularly confident in your current form, #glowup.
The idea is to post a picture of yourself from approximately ten years ago alongside a current photo to show how much you’ve changed.
Even celebrities got in on the challenge.
— Reese Witherspoon (@RWitherspoon) January 15, 2019
And, of course, it wasn’t long before brands started using it for marketing.
— Subway® UK (@SubwayUK) January 15, 2019
Eventually, the whole thing became a meme.
Usually, a brand tweeting a meme would signal the end of a meme, but if there’s one person who can keep the trend alive, it’s Belcalis Marlenis Almánzar, aka Cardi B. The “Bodak Yellow” rapper gifted fans with a short video clip of an old high school performance. The video, posted to Instagram, shows Cardi performing the Lady Gaga song “Bad Romance” while a group of friends dance in the background.
Yes, that song is nearly ten years old now.
Although it was posted less than 24 hours ago, the video has already racked up over 6.7 million views. It’s kind of hard to make out the words over the screaming fans as Cardi hits the stage. It’s clear that while she wasn’t a household name yet, Cardi B. was already a star. She didn’t include a current video or picture to go along with the throwback post, but then again we don’t really need that when it comes to Cardi B. do we?
Although if you’re the kind of person who craves a feeling of completeness you can check out the official (NSFW) video for Cardi’s newest single below. It’s for the song “Money” which currently sits at number 17 on the Billboard charts, and the video itself has over 33 million views. Not bad for ten years.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.