- What is the TikTok drink and can you still get it? Thursday 9:27 PM
- “Party, Party, Party” TikTok meme grapples with party culture Thursday 8:43 PM
- Baby Yoda was just added to Sims 4 Thursday 7:54 PM
- Religious conservatives petition Netflix to pull ‘gay Jesus’ Christmas comedy Thursday 7:19 PM
- Kylie Jenner criticized for yet another expensive car post Thursday 5:57 PM
- Apex Legends became a major Pornhub search in 2019 Thursday 5:15 PM
- CBS accidentally interviewed InfoWars host as regular Trump supporter Thursday 4:31 PM
- TLC accused of fatphobia, fetishization with show about ‘mixed-weight’ couples Thursday 3:41 PM
- Betting odds show KSI could fight FaZe Sensei, Jake Paul, or Justin Bieber next Thursday 3:20 PM
- Nick Cannon releases another thirsty Eminem diss track Thursday 2:59 PM
- Dogs at polling stations are helping bark out the vote in the U.K. Thursday 1:00 PM
- Streamers dominated Pornhub searches in 2019 Thursday 12:59 PM
- Pro and anti-boot factions emerge in wake of ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ trailer Thursday 12:31 PM
- The ‘Rise of Skywalker’ press tour has turned into a rehash of ‘The Last Jedi’ Thursday 12:18 PM
- What’s in a TikTok username? Thursday 12:00 PM
If you’ve been anywhere near social media in the last few days, you’ve no doubt seen people participating in the #10yearchallenge, alternately known as the #howdidagehityouchallenge or, if you’re feeling particularly confident in your current form, #glowup.
The idea is to post a picture of yourself from approximately ten years ago alongside a current photo to show how much you’ve changed.
Even celebrities got in on the challenge.
And, of course, it wasn’t long before brands started using it for marketing.
Eventually, the whole thing became a meme.
Usually, a brand tweeting a meme would signal the end of a meme, but if there’s one person who can keep the trend alive, it’s Belcalis Marlenis Almánzar, aka Cardi B. The “Bodak Yellow” rapper gifted fans with a short video clip of an old high school performance. The video, posted to Instagram, shows Cardi performing the Lady Gaga song “Bad Romance” while a group of friends dance in the background.
Yes, that song is nearly ten years old now.
Although it was posted less than 24 hours ago, the video has already racked up over 6.7 million views. It’s kind of hard to make out the words over the screaming fans as Cardi hits the stage. It’s clear that while she wasn’t a household name yet, Cardi B. was already a star. She didn’t include a current video or picture to go along with the throwback post, but then again we don’t really need that when it comes to Cardi B. do we?
Although if you’re the kind of person who craves a feeling of completeness you can check out the official (NSFW) video for Cardi’s newest single below. It’s for the song “Money” which currently sits at number 17 on the Billboard charts, and the video itself has over 33 million views. Not bad for ten years.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.