- Trump’s rant about Megan Rapinoe devolves into treatise about PC culture in the NBA Today 10:41 AM
- Is Millie Bobby Brown joining the MCU? Today 10:39 AM
- Hundreds of thousands demand that Etika’s previously deleted YouTube channel be restored Today 10:18 AM
- Eric Trump says cocktail waitress spit on him in Chicago bar Today 9:47 AM
- Maine governor signs net neutrality bill into law Today 9:07 AM
- How the QAnon movement continues without its messenger Today 8:26 AM
- 6 best Korean beauty products for summer Today 8:17 AM
- ‘The Office’ is leaving Netflix in 2021 Today 7:46 AM
- How to install the iOS 13 beta and test out its best new features Today 7:42 AM
- Swipe This! I want my boyfriend to text me everyday. Is that crazy? Today 7:30 AM
- Why every 2020 Democrat is canceled Today 7:01 AM
- The best LGBTQ movies and series on Amazon Prime Today 7:00 AM
- The easiest way to stream all the soccer you can handle Today 6:00 AM
- Facebook refused to take down this blackface page for 4 months Today 5:30 AM
- Tom Holland rescues fan getting squashed by autograph hounds Tuesday 7:14 PM
Dads gonna dad.
It’s Father’s Day weekend, so you’re likely spending more time with Dad than you have all year. But when you’re not around, Dad misses you. He wants to stay in touch. And he wants to understand your generation.
So he texts.
And anyone with a texting dad knows there’s nothing quite like a dad text. Mom may text in full sentences and sign each message with x’s and o’s—and she’s your go-to when you need to get out of a fight—but Dad is wily and weird. He’s gonna text when you least expect, and if he texts something that actually makes sense, you’ll have to roll your eyes and groan.
In the spirit of celebrating our year-round dads, and not just the goofball you get on Father’s Day, here are some all-time classic dad text moves.
1) The unprovoked burn
2) Should probably just download Snapchat
3) The joke you walked right into
4) May or may not be trucker code
5) When dictation to Siri goes wrong
6) Come on, Siri
A photo posted by kt hoffman (@hoffmankt) on
7) Actually, does Siri ever work for dads?
8) Still catching up on ’90s TV
9) Fashion advice
10) Minute-by-minute bathroom updates
A photo posted by Miranda Baldwin (@mirandahope6415) on
11) Reminding you to be considerate of others
12) Knows just what you like
A photo posted by Ellie Harris (@jewcy0) on
13) In a philosophical mood again
A photo posted by Victoria💋 (@pinkhoney24) on
14) Experimenting with emoji
15) His wisdom is endless
16) Always a self-esteem booster
17) Does repeat himself sometimes
18) Don’t test him
19) Seriously, never stop using voice recognition
20) Honesty is the only policy
Souvenirs shopping in Italy.. So is he saying I shouldn’t get it…In that color?.. Lol . . . . #Italy #dad #dadtexts #no #parents #textpost #travel #souvenir #fedora #food #foodie #eatingfoodatplaces #hesaidno #! #lol #best #gift #giver #soishouldntgetit #persian #persiandad #iran #dadsbelike #baba
A photo posted by Eating Food At Places ❤️ (@eatingfoodatplaces) on
21) Making the most of that family data plan
22) You sure can
23) Love talking to you, too, Dad
Happy Father’s Day to all you texting dads out there. Keep those thumbs strong and the jokes corny. Oh, and one more thing: 😂😂😂
Miles Klee is a novelist and web culture reporter. The former editor of the Daily Dot’s Unclick section, Klee’s essays, satire, and fiction have appeared in Lapham’s Quarterly, Vanity Fair, 3:AM, Salon, the Awl, the New York Observer, the Millions, and the Village Voice. He's the author of two odd books of fiction, 'Ivyland' and 'True False.'