- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal 1 Year Ago
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Sevilla Friday 6:35 PM
- How to stream Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo Friday 5:16 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Granada Friday 4:50 PM
- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism Friday 4:16 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire Friday 3:40 PM
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction Friday 3:34 PM
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained Friday 3:22 PM
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Friday 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Friday 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Friday 1:59 PM
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you Friday 1:36 PM
Earlier this month, the ubiquitous question “what’s your zodiac sign?” got turned on its head when a user posted on Twitter, “F*CK YOUR ZODIAC SIGN, whats your favorite lil peep song?” The tweet quickly took off as a meme, as others piled on with more modern, relatable ways of determining a personality type than what the Earth’s position around the sun was at the time of your birth.
Examples included everything from choice in Mario Kart player to a favorite episode of The Office to your preferred Whataburger order.
But as these things tend to go, the meme has mutated into something else entirely. Another person tweeted earlier this week: “Whoever won Best Actress the year you were born is your real Zodiac Sign.”
Whoever won Best Actress the year you were born is your real Zodiac Sign.— Tess ✧ (@isabeIIehuppert) August 20, 2018
As far as memes go, this one is pretty easy to play along. Essentially, all you have to do is Google “best actress [year you were born]” and there you go.
Not surprisingly, the simplicity of the meme was likely in part conducive to its popularity, as hundreds began playing along.
Louise Fletcher. of course. https://t.co/crwWB1zfun— David Russell (@17days) August 22, 2018
I'm Cher, B!tch! https://t.co/FMT0bKONMl— Thommy im Exil (@frozenfire8688) August 23, 2018
Dame Maggie Smith! https://t.co/4vWKh4KuVj— Civility is bullshit (@Asetisis) August 23, 2018
Katharine Hepburn.— Geek Girl Diva (@geekgirldiva) August 23, 2018
This explains SO much. https://t.co/3In4IU0aNb
i mean technically Susan Sarandon but Emma Thompson was ROBBED for Sense and Sensibility so I am choosing to claim her instead https://t.co/UhnGNH10Dd— martin (@martinpnewman) August 23, 2018
I am Shirley MacLaine. Yeah I'm good with that. https://t.co/kAkm2VwFcp— Phillip (@OKTXARPoke) August 23, 2018
Katharine Hepburn and Barbara Streisand (it was a tie that year).— Abel Undercity (@AbelUndercity) August 23, 2018
This might explain why I feel like I'm going in several directions at once. https://t.co/fg5YDtz6Lg
JESSICA LANGE https://t.co/Nid6H7MN1e— the girl from The Saltwater Room (@venusianrage) August 23, 2018
Kathy freaking Bates! YES https://t.co/XUALya3AaM— mary (@maryinblue6) August 23, 2018
Not everyone was so thrilled to have been born in 1999, however, when Gwyneth tearfully accepted the Oscar for Shakespeare in Love—if the original poster’s mentions were any indication:
all the grumpy people who got GOOP as there zodiac. i'm sorry okay pic.twitter.com/atPcGQNq1c— Tess ✧ (@isabeIIehuppert) August 20, 2018
Maybe in another 15 years or so, people will be talking about how they were Jennifer Lawrence or Brie Larson babies.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.