- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused 3 Years Ago
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators 3 Years Ago
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Today 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Today 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Today 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Today 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Today 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Today 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Today 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
This was confirmed, albeit somewhat trollishly, when Babymetal won Metal Hammer’s 2016 reader poll for best album of the century.
And the “real” metalheads can’t handle a cute, metal-as-hell idol group defeating their faves. The Facebook comments on the poll announcement indicate extremely high levels of salt about the results, which only makes Babymetal’s victory sweeter.
[Placeholder for https://www.facebook.com/metalhammer/videos/10154249371029764/ video embed.]
“So your saying a fucking pop band with metal playing in the back ground, which I’ve never seen the musicians get any credit for, is the best album of the century? Probably not. There are actual bands with talent ya know, like slipknot, machine head, mushroom head, disturbed, godsmack, old school korn, not the dub step garbage. Fuck, I’ll take the first three Lincoln park albums over this shit any day. Lincoln park is more fucking metal than baby metal,” writes Chad E. Slone, in a comment with more than 100 “likes.”
Thanks for your opinion, Chad. No doubt “Lincoln Park” appreciates your support. However, Babymetal is the winner.
“All this proves, is that the average voter on this poll is a 15-year old emo kid, that likes bands like babymetal and slipknot. Oh and apparently your ‘critic'” are as well,” writes Imre Dijkstra. Better luck next time, Imre. If you’d like your favorite band to win a popularity poll, maybe try liking more popular bands? For example, the band Babymetal is very popular right now.
“Unfollowed. No one voted for this. So you are telling me a band who has been out for not even 10 years with virtually no albums can win metal band of the century when it is only 2016. I would rather have saw bands like lamb of god. Killswitch. In flames.Fucking even nightwish. You know mainstream yes but albums that kept metal alive in the 21st century. Babymetal has contributed so little and is so new that this pole is a complete joke much like every slipknot daily update and cory interview. Judging by the hundreds of complaints even from baby metal fans this was a publicity stunt bought and paid for. Fuck you metal hammer for selling out your loyal fans who put up with your horrible shit in hopes you will change. Unfollowed for life,” writes Douglas Wood.
It seems a large number of voters would have rather saw(??) Babymetal, though. Just some food for thought.
Whether you really like Babymetal or not, it’s a delight to see them shake up the heavily dude-centric world of metal and watch the old guard buck against anything new and different. Especially when the new, different thing is crazy popular and brings new fans to the genre.
Maybe it is the Babymetal haters who are the babies in this situation?
To make matters worse for metal snobs, Metal Hammer’s critics have named mask-wearing nu-metal group Slipknot’s Iowa the best album of the century.
That pick is not going to play with the snobs who want technical virtuosity or even genre purity. Iowa was one of those teenage rebellion records that ’90s kids owned in high school during reign of Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit, and it only managed a 68 on Metacritic.
“Those who’ve moved beyond efforts to scare mom and dad will do well to steer clear, though they’ve probably made that choice already,” wrote the AV Club at the time.
As you can imagine, metal nerds are pissed that this is the alleged best record of the past 15 years.
So Metal Hammer named Iowa by Slipknot the best heavy metal album of the 21st century.
Like, bitch, Iowa isn’t even the best Slipknot album
— Skunk IRL (@TemporalWalker) July 24, 2016
and yesterday, they said that iowa from slipknot is the best album from 21st centruy. rly, metal hammer is going down
— Cagdas Bayirli (@cagdasbayirli) July 21, 2016
Metal Hammer thinks Iowa by Slipknot is better than Jane Doe by Converge and that is why I haven’t bought it in over a decade.
— Adam Hawker (@AdHawkeye) July 20, 2016
“Metal Hammer names Slipknot’s Iowa ‘Greatest Album of the 21st Century'”
Wrong, and kinda missing 84 years worth of material here…
— mason (@SunderlandMason) July 21, 2016
Is Metal Hammer just brilliantly trolling? Would it change anything if they were? Critical culture in 2016 is fantastically weird and exciting.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.