- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards 2 Years Ago
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Today 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 Saturday 12:39 PM
- 10 indie dating simulator games you should be playing Saturday 12:31 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Broncos in Week 3 Saturday 12:14 PM
- Saudi crown prince’s former adviser suspended from Twitter Saturday 11:57 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Dolphins in Week 3 Saturday 11:57 AM
- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video Saturday 10:36 AM
- Antonio Brown sent ‘intimidating’ texts to an accuser, including a pic of her children Saturday 9:38 AM
- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal Saturday 8:24 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Saturday 6:00 AM
One of the best viral moments of last year’s Thanksgiving got an update this year, and people have been charmed by it once again. For his year’s Thanksgiving, Wanda Dench and Jamal Hinton got together for yet another holiday meal, marking one year since an accidental text message introduced them to one another.
On Nov. 15, 2016, Dench, a woman living in Mesa, Arizona, sent out a text message meant for members of her family reminding them when to arrive for Thanksgiving. But she accidentally sent it to high school student Jamal Hinton, a misunderstanding that ultimately led to the 17-year-old scoring an invitation to Dench’s Thanksgiving.
Now, one year later, Dench invited Hinton back for another Thanksgiving get-together, in what has the makings of an annual tradition. Hinton himself tweeted out a pair of photos showing he and Dench last year and this year.
2016-2017 thanksgiving pic.twitter.com/CpIgr9KapA— Jamal Hinton (@kingjamal08) November 24, 2017
Dench told The Arizona Republic that she and Hinton had a good time, and they reminisced about how their unlikely introduction came about last year.
“It was really nice having everybody here,” Dench said. “We got to laugh about last year and reminisce about how it all blew up on our phone and how I had to change my number. We had a laugh and a good time.”
According to USA Today, Hinton has come to regard Dench as a grandmother figure, and she’s happy that they’ve continued their friendship, accidental origins and all. To hear Hinton tell it, he regards this whole situation as a sign that the world can improve.
“The world is becoming a better place than it used to be,” he said. “I’m loving it. I love that you don’t have to know someone or know their background to be nice to them.”
Dench reportedly extended a standing offer to Hinton to attend future Thanksgivings, an offer he accepted. In other words, come this time next year, he’ll probably have a third photo to share.
Chris Tognotti is a frequent contributor for the Daily Dot. He’s a news and current events writer based out of Berkeley, California, and a co-host of the podcast Now We Know. While he specializes in domestic politics and opinion writing, he’s also savvy on sports, video games, and film.