- How to protect yourself from the data breach that affected 744 million accounts 2 Years Ago
- How to stream Rob Brant vs. Khasan Baysangurov online for free Today 12:21 PM
- No, Ocasio-Cortez doesn’t have her boyfriend on her payroll Today 12:20 PM
- Writers want this book canceled for misgendering its protagonist Today 12:15 PM
- Trump Jr’s meme about his dad’s border wall doesn’t get how Congress works Today 11:44 AM
- FBI reportedly looking into Ryan Adams’ communications with underage girl Today 11:25 AM
- Trump does Chinese accent, declares national emergency, bewilders the internet Today 11:21 AM
- Chrissy Teigen throws shade at Logan Paul-Kaitlin Bennett pairing Today 10:48 AM
- Trump says ‘I didn’t need to do this’ while declaring national emergency Today 10:48 AM
- Women sue border patrol for detaining them for speaking Spanish Today 10:20 AM
- Tana Mongeau’s switch to Twitch has not gone well Today 9:58 AM
- Trans YouTube streamer shot in leg by security guard Today 9:25 AM
- Ted Cruz tries his ‘El Chapo’ Act again, to internet mockery Today 9:18 AM
- How to play the new ‘Tetris 99’ battle royale game on Nintendo Switch for free Today 9:12 AM
- ‘The Breaker Upperers’ is a quirky rom-com about friendship Today 8:54 AM
The resemblance is uncanny.
Have you seen these? They look like something really familiar, but I can’t put my finger on it.
Oh yeah, that’s definitely it.
Strange that Apple, usually so careful and refined with its designs, is asking its adherents to walk around looking like they’ve got cigarettes in their ears.
And it’s not like the resemblance is subtle, or this is a fringe observation:
This looks like when my mom use to put cigarette butts in my ear to prevent me from hearing her curse
— luke [from online] (@internetluke) September 9, 2016
Anyone else think Apple’s new Airpods look like someone shoved a cigarette in their ear and bent it?
— Ashe Schow (@AsheSchow) September 7, 2016
It’s like a cigarette. For your ear.
— Paul Thurrott (@thurrott) September 7, 2016
Well, that’s awkward.
These will definitely sell, though. There are always going to be naked emperors who need the cool new thing, even when it’s patently ridiculous.
Fortunately, you don’t need the AirPods to use the iPhone 7. The new version of Apple’s EarPods, the ones that have cords to prevent them from looking like cigarettes, plugs into the Lightning port. Or you can use your old earphones with the included adapter. Or you can buy any set of Bluetooth earbuds or headphones.
But if you wanna be one of the cool kids, smoking from your earhole outside the high school, definitely get these AirPods.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.