- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Saturday 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Saturday 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Saturday 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Saturday 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Saturday 1:47 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Saturday 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Saturday 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Saturday 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Saturday 9:47 AM
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Saturday 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Saturday 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
Have you seen these? They look like something really familiar, but I can’t put my finger on it.
Oh yeah, that’s definitely it.
Strange that Apple, usually so careful and refined with its designs, is asking its adherents to walk around looking like they’ve got cigarettes in their ears.
And it’s not like the resemblance is subtle, or this is a fringe observation:
This looks like when my mom use to put cigarette butts in my ear to prevent me from hearing her curse
— luke [from online] (@internetluke) September 9, 2016
Anyone else think Apple’s new Airpods look like someone shoved a cigarette in their ear and bent it?
— Ashe Schow (@AsheSchow) September 7, 2016
It’s like a cigarette. For your ear.
— Paul Thurrott (@thurrott) September 7, 2016
Well, that’s awkward.
These will definitely sell, though. There are always going to be naked emperors who need the cool new thing, even when it’s patently ridiculous.
Fortunately, you don’t need the AirPods to use the iPhone 7. The new version of Apple’s EarPods, the ones that have cords to prevent them from looking like cigarettes, plugs into the Lightning port. Or you can use your old earphones with the included adapter. Or you can buy any set of Bluetooth earbuds or headphones.
But if you wanna be one of the cool kids, smoking from your earhole outside the high school, definitely get these AirPods.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.