- Sri Lankan government shuts down social media in wake of deadly blasts Sunday 7:56 PM
- Amazon Flex drivers now must use selfies to verify identity Sunday 6:34 PM
- #GentrifyingGeorge thinks 152-year-old HBCU should ‘just move’ Sunday 5:27 PM
- Watch out! Tonight’s episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ leaked online (updated) Sunday 3:32 PM
- Videos of people working may be the best thing on TikTok right now Sunday 1:46 PM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free Sunday 7:00 AM
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Sunday 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Sunday 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
The resemblance is uncanny.
Have you seen these? They look like something really familiar, but I can’t put my finger on it.
Oh yeah, that’s definitely it.
Strange that Apple, usually so careful and refined with its designs, is asking its adherents to walk around looking like they’ve got cigarettes in their ears.
And it’s not like the resemblance is subtle, or this is a fringe observation:
This looks like when my mom use to put cigarette butts in my ear to prevent me from hearing her curse
— luke [from online] (@internetluke) September 9, 2016
Anyone else think Apple’s new Airpods look like someone shoved a cigarette in their ear and bent it?
— Ashe Schow (@AsheSchow) September 7, 2016
It’s like a cigarette. For your ear.
— Paul Thurrott (@thurrott) September 7, 2016
Well, that’s awkward.
These will definitely sell, though. There are always going to be naked emperors who need the cool new thing, even when it’s patently ridiculous.
Fortunately, you don’t need the AirPods to use the iPhone 7. The new version of Apple’s EarPods, the ones that have cords to prevent them from looking like cigarettes, plugs into the Lightning port. Or you can use your old earphones with the included adapter. Or you can buy any set of Bluetooth earbuds or headphones.
But if you wanna be one of the cool kids, smoking from your earhole outside the high school, definitely get these AirPods.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.