- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action 3 Years Ago
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic 3 Years Ago
- How to live stream UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic 3 Years Ago
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Tottenham Hotspur Friday 6:59 PM
- QAnon supporters claim they couldn’t sport Q attire at Trump rally Friday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Southampton vs. Liverpool Friday 4:55 PM
- See when and where your team plays: The 2019 NFL preseason schedule Friday 4:51 PM
- Twitter is testing a feature that would hide offensive DMs you receive Friday 4:19 PM
- How to stream Arsenal vs. Burnley Friday 4:15 PM
- The original ‘Four Weddings and a Funeral’ is now streaming on Netflix Friday 3:33 PM
- 2 anime series are translating the controversial phrase ‘lolicon’ to ‘pedophile’ Friday 3:25 PM
- This Four Loko hard seltzer is basically a meme in a can Friday 2:40 PM
- Pete Buttigieg says he’s not in favor of the DH in baseball Friday 2:40 PM
- Amazon’s plan to have warehouse workers defend it backfired beautifully (updated) Friday 2:06 PM
- Senator: Zuckerberg’s testimony ‘incomplete’ after Messenger transcription report Friday 1:18 PM
Have you seen these? They look like something really familiar, but I can’t put my finger on it.
Oh yeah, that’s definitely it.
Strange that Apple, usually so careful and refined with its designs, is asking its adherents to walk around looking like they’ve got cigarettes in their ears.
And it’s not like the resemblance is subtle, or this is a fringe observation:
This looks like when my mom use to put cigarette butts in my ear to prevent me from hearing her curse
— luke [from online] (@internetluke) September 9, 2016
Anyone else think Apple’s new Airpods look like someone shoved a cigarette in their ear and bent it?
— Ashe Schow (@AsheSchow) September 7, 2016
It’s like a cigarette. For your ear.
— Paul Thurrott (@thurrott) September 7, 2016
Well, that’s awkward.
These will definitely sell, though. There are always going to be naked emperors who need the cool new thing, even when it’s patently ridiculous.
Fortunately, you don’t need the AirPods to use the iPhone 7. The new version of Apple’s EarPods, the ones that have cords to prevent them from looking like cigarettes, plugs into the Lightning port. Or you can use your old earphones with the included adapter. Or you can buy any set of Bluetooth earbuds or headphones.
But if you wanna be one of the cool kids, smoking from your earhole outside the high school, definitely get these AirPods.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.