- Amazon’s ‘Troop Zero’ gives the underdog movie a stylized re-do 3 Years Ago
- No, the first words of Trump’s tweets don’t match up to lyrics of ‘Break My Stride’ Sunday 10:28 PM
- White woman demanding strangers ‘repent’ for Christ sparks conversation on mental illness and racism Sunday 9:27 PM
- Amtrak employee asked a NAACP lawyer to move from her train seat Sunday 7:54 PM
- Billie Eilish fans riot after being referred to as ‘Avocados’ Sunday 4:37 PM
- Beyhive coming for Sainsbury’s supermarket over Ivy Park shade Sunday 3:17 PM
- Antique store blasted for selling ‘white only’ signs Sunday 1:45 PM
- DaBaby explains altercation with hotel employee after video goes viral Sunday 12:32 PM
- Kanye faces backlash for headlining Christian event with anti-LGBTQ leaders Sunday 10:31 AM
- Why is Yennefer of Vengerberg so different in Netflix’s ‘The Witcher’? Sunday 10:00 AM
- Actress slammed for ‘acid attack-face’ TikTok challenge Sunday 9:46 AM
- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
Have you seen these? They look like something really familiar, but I can’t put my finger on it.
Oh yeah, that’s definitely it.
Strange that Apple, usually so careful and refined with its designs, is asking its adherents to walk around looking like they’ve got cigarettes in their ears.
And it’s not like the resemblance is subtle, or this is a fringe observation:
This looks like when my mom use to put cigarette butts in my ear to prevent me from hearing her curse
— luke [from online] (@internetluke) September 9, 2016
Anyone else think Apple’s new Airpods look like someone shoved a cigarette in their ear and bent it?
— Ashe Schow (@AsheSchow) September 7, 2016
It’s like a cigarette. For your ear.
— Paul Thurrott (@thurrott) September 7, 2016
Well, that’s awkward.
These will definitely sell, though. There are always going to be naked emperors who need the cool new thing, even when it’s patently ridiculous.
Fortunately, you don’t need the AirPods to use the iPhone 7. The new version of Apple’s EarPods, the ones that have cords to prevent them from looking like cigarettes, plugs into the Lightning port. Or you can use your old earphones with the included adapter. Or you can buy any set of Bluetooth earbuds or headphones.
But if you wanna be one of the cool kids, smoking from your earhole outside the high school, definitely get these AirPods.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.