- #ICEBae is reportedly a Democrat–and she has some things to get off her chest Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Fans are stoked that Taika Waititi is back to direct ‘Thor 4’ Tuesday 7:22 PM
- Sacha Baron Cohen thanks ‘co-stars’ Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin for making Emmy nominations possible Tuesday 6:43 PM
- Roger Stone barred from posting on all social media platforms Tuesday 6:03 PM
- The FaceApp challenge shows you how gracefully you’ll age Tuesday 5:16 PM
- Kylie Jenner opens up about her mental health in candid Instagram post Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Fans speculate wildly about Naomi Watts’ ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel role after leaked set photo Tuesday 3:54 PM
- New Jersey congressman joins House Democrats ‘Squad’ because of an Onion article Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy Tuesday 1:54 PM
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him Tuesday 1:37 PM
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Tuesday 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Tuesday 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Tuesday 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Tuesday 12:02 PM
Everyone can get in on this simple meme, but how long will it last?
The 2019 meme season is well under way. It started when the #10YearChallenge turned from earnest picture posting to a viral meme and now, as we head into the second half of January, we have “Some of y’all… and it shows.”
As with many of the great meme formats, it’s easy to understand and you can plug almost anything into it. This is what made things like “Distracted Boyfriend” so popular. Of course, that meme required downloading a picture, coming up with a label for all three characters, and at least a minimal amount of photo editing. “Some Of Y’all” is text-based and you only have to come up with one thing. It’s the simplest possible format. It’s a Mad Lib with one blank. It’s memes boiled down to their essence. If you’ve always wanted to get into making memes but were too intimated, now is your chance. It’s really hard to go wrong with this one.
Some of ya’ll never listened to dubstep back in 08’-12’ and it shows.— Vital Events (@VitalEvents) January 13, 2019
Some of ya'll didn't record songs from the radio to cassette tape so that you could listen and rewind 100x to write down the lyrics in a spiral notebook and it shows.— ❄️Winter is coming❄️ (@GisEloquent) January 11, 2019
Some of ya’ll never pretended to be a teacher in 2010 and it shows. pic.twitter.com/XoNgYySaza— Nomixcx (@NaomiCh33331864) January 13, 2019
Some of ya’ll never grew up listening to Linkin park, Green Day or the All American rejects and it shows— Diana (@dianazng) January 15, 2019
some of ya'll didn't spend hours dressing celebrities on stardoll and it really shows. pic.twitter.com/XxNoeXhIKm— becky (@spoticry) January 12, 2019
Be super earnest and judgy.
Some of ya'll have never read a book for pleasure and it shows— Alexis Ramsey (@AlexisR95457667) January 15, 2019
Some of ya’ll don’t know how to be alone and it shows.— Susiee. (@svdzz_) January 13, 2019
Some of ya'll didnt pay attention when your grandpa was teaching you to say "Yes sir" or "Yes ma'am" or to respect others and especially yourself.. and it REALLY shows— Gavin Huke (@GavinHuke) January 13, 2019
Some of ya'll didn't have to be funny because you were attractive and it shows— ❄ᵐᵃʳ (@heymynameisomar) January 9, 2019
Be oddly specific.
Some of ya’ll never had to spray thistles and it really shows— Allie Fast (@allie_fast) January 14, 2019
some of ya’ll don’t put cilantro y cebolla on your tacos and it shows— untz untz (@__dxnny) January 8, 2019
some of ya’ll have never listened to this legendary 6-stages high note by Yoo Hweseung aka the super-power-maknae-vocal (according to himself) and it shows pic.twitter.com/ZPABTsKfYB— tung✨ (@fluffyhwehwe) January 12, 2019
some of ya’ll never used bath and body works cucumber melon hand soap as a kid and it shows— Remi Cruz ✨ (@missremiashten) January 13, 2019
Some of ya'll have never been hit in the ankle by a scooter and it shows.— Jon (@jwesley710) January 7, 2019
Just be plain mean.
Some of ya’ll know how to use AirPods & not dental floss and it shows . pic.twitter.com/GtAD1A70T8— Francisco Guillen (@panchothedoc) January 16, 2019
Or even downright confrontational.
Not surprisingly, brands have jumped on the trend to start selling us things. They mainly opt out of using “Some of ya’ll” and go with the more straight-laced “Some of you” like a bunch of squares.
Some of you have never received an end piece of a baguette as your side and it shows.— Panera Bread (@panerabread) January 15, 2019
Some of you haven't had Whataburger this week and it shows— Whataburger® (@Whataburger) January 14, 2019
Some of you have never had to reconcile being a peanut while also advocating for the consumption of peanuts and it shows.— Mr. Peanut (@MrPeanut) January 14, 2019
Does such a basic meme have any real staying power? Sure, it’s fun to remind people that Drake & Josh was a thing you watched instead of doing your homework, but how long exactly will that remain viable or interesting? With a meme format this simple and ubiquitous, it probably won’t be long before you receive a text from your mom saying, “Some of ya’ll haven’t texted your parents this week and it shows.” That’s when you’ll know the party is over.
If “Some Of Ya’ll…” is going to stick around, it’s going to have to evolve into something new in the next few weeks or it’s going to end up in the meme graveyard hanging out with “Charlie Bit My Finger” and “Chocolate Rain.”
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.