- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Saturday 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Saturday 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
Charizard is a cage fighter! Jigglypuff is a dive bar singer! Pikachu is a detective, voiced by Ryan Reynolds! And somehow, against everything I’ve ever been taught in this world, it seems to work and actually be pretty funny?
The first Pokemon Detective Pikachu trailer is here, and seriously, brace yourself for the weirdness that ensues.
The general plot of the Detective Pikachu movie has been known for a while now. A wise-cracking Pikachu, voiced by Deadpool star Ryan Reynolds, helps out a young man whose father (a cop) has mysteriously disappeared, all in a world that coexists with Pokemon. There’s even a parade filled with giant Pokemon balloons, which has to be a little existential for the creatures.
The reactions to the trailer have been quick and hot on Twitter, which is both shocked and aghast at how fun the movie seems. It became a top trending topic in the U.S. on Monday.
mfw the Detective Pikachu movie actually looks good and might even be funny pic.twitter.com/yQ2urSJjEh— Gene Park One X (@GenePark) November 12, 2018
Me, seeing what Detective Pikachu's art direction is: pic.twitter.com/GcBMJlU8CT— crasspants (@crasspants) November 12, 2018
i am so goddamn mad that in 6 months time i am going to walk into a theatre and say the phrase "one for detective pikachu please"— demi adejuyigbe (@electrolemon) November 12, 2018
TPC: We're gonna cast Ryan Renolds as Detective Pikachu— Akfamilyhome (@akfamilyhomeak) November 12, 2018
Internet: haha there's no way
TPC: *actually casts Ryan Reynolds as Detective Pikachu*
if Psyduck isn't Detective Pikachu's Watson I'll be bummed— Garrett Martin (@grmartin) November 12, 2018
Me watching Detective Pikachu trailer: pic.twitter.com/y7h32HtQbx— Pandu Aditya (@dupandut) November 12, 2018
MRW when I find out the surprised pikachu meme is a corporate marketing stunt pic.twitter.com/4TJyLX6ZNb— Venture (@Venture_GG) November 12, 2018
144p vs 4k pic.twitter.com/n8VhRqBBYG— DitzyFlama (@DitzyFlama) November 12, 2018
this jigglypuff is the lovechild of gritty and a particularly demonic gremlin https://t.co/HwjkO0SO2V— devon maloney (@dynamofire) November 12, 2018
Even Reynolds himself is a little shocked at it all.
me before and after watching the detective pikachu trailer pic.twitter.com/giUcGx6ilA— andrew webster (@A_Webster) November 12, 2018
There are a lot of cool Easter eggs to spy in the trailer too. At a glance, I saw multiple posters for fights between a machamp and a primeape, aritcuno and steelix, a dragonite and a hypno, and a missing poster for a squirtle. Of course, there’s also dozens of pokemon flitting about, and a bunch of greninjas look to be some sort of security force chasing down our protagonists.
one taught me love one taught me patience one taught me pain pic.twitter.com/obpLDeaRSG— andrew webster (@A_Webster) November 12, 2018
Quite frankly, just having Mr. Mime be a total jerk is stunningly funny. You’ve come a long way from being Ash’s mom’s maid, Mimey.
Pokemon Detective Pikachu releases in 2019, and lord help us all when we see it 50 times.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.