- Jared Leto reportedly tried to stop ‘Joker’ from happening Today 4:12 PM
- People are grossed out by cow insemination-themed pregnancy announcement Today 3:13 PM
- Major protests in Lebanon triggered by plan to tax WhatsApp calls Today 1:38 PM
- Frank Ocean’s $60 HIV prevention drug-themed shirts called tone-deaf Today 12:49 PM
- ‘Joker’ stairs latest Instagram spot; locals joke about potential robberies Today 10:30 AM
- PewDiePie banned in China after reacting to Winnie the Pooh memes Today 8:46 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Eagles on Sunday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream Chargers vs. Titans in Week 7 Today 6:00 AM
- 13 spooky romance games for adults Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 9 Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Impact Wrestling’s Bound For Glory Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Bills vs. Dolphins in Week 7 Today 4:30 AM
- How to stream Jaguars vs. Bengals in Week 7 Today 4:00 AM
- How to stream Texans vs. Colts in Week 7 Today 3:00 AM
- How to stream Manchester United vs. Liverpool Saturday 10:00 PM
Welcome to the first episode of the Parsec Podcast! Spinning off from the Upstream Podcast, we’ll cover topics from the world of fandom and geek culture. First up: Game of Thrones, America’s favorite show about incest and very big lizards.
Season 7 just wrapped up with a rather mixed response from fans and critics. A lot of slow-burning storylines are finally coming to fruition (shout out to all those Jon/Dany shippers!), but the writing was arguably subpar compared to earlier seasons.
For our first episode, Parsec writer Gavia Baker-Whitelaw hosted a panel of Game of Thrones aficionados for a season 7 post-mortem: resident Game of Thrones expert Michelle Jaworski, Parsec editor Sarah Weber, and writer/editor David Covucci. Among other things, we discussed plot holes, how the showrunners are handling the story now they’ve gone off-book, and whether the Arya/Sansa/Littlefinger subplot actually made sense. Also, even if the heroes defeat the White Walkers in season 8, won’t most people in Westeros just starve to death?
Articles mentioned in this episode:
- The 8 biggest problems with Game of Thrones season 7
- Game of Thrones keeps warping time—and it’s only going to get worse
- The prophecy that could lead to Cersei Lannister’s downfall
- How the Targaryens’ history of incest could shape Game of Thrones
- All the foreshadowing behind Dany and Jon’s finale sex scene
- Who is the true heir to the Iron Throne?
The Parsec Podcast will return in a couple of weeks with more geek culture coverage, including interviews and convention-style panels with fans and creators. If you have any suggestions or feedback for the host, you can contact her at [email protected]!
Theme music is “Big Tree” by Evan Schaeffer, licensed under CC BY 4.0.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor