- Pete Davidson is OK and at work following alarming Instagram post Saturday 7:26 PM
- Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker doesn’t know how to use a Venn diagram Saturday 5:38 PM
- This college student made a movie trailer to tease her boyfriend, and Twitter can’t get enough (updated) Saturday 3:13 PM
- ‘Kappa Delta Crypto’ aims to break stereotypes in five-minute Snapchat episodes Saturday 2:29 PM
- Two iPhone X customers are suing Apple over screen size Saturday 1:18 PM
- Secretary Ryan Zinke is out at the Department of the Interior Saturday 12:03 PM
- How to watch the New Orleans Bowl online for free Saturday 10:25 AM
- Prada’s racist toys pulled from shelves after social media backlash (updated) Saturday 10:22 AM
- How to watch the Camellia Bowl online for free Saturday 10:00 AM
- How to watch the Las Vegas Bowl online for free Saturday 8:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Rayo Vallecano online for free Saturday 7:30 AM
- ‘Runaways’ season 2 expands its universe and mysteries Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to watch the Cure Bowl online for free Saturday 7:05 AM
- How to watch Canelo Alvarez vs. Rocky Fielding for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- Politicians who inspired the internet in 2018 Saturday 6:30 AM
Overwatch’s D.Va goes viral after fans realize she takes selfies with her phone off
‘She’s high, let her have her fun.’
It’s that time of year again. Overwatch’s Halloween Terror 2018 event is here, and to celebrate the month, Blizzard just unveiled a new series of skins and emotes for the game’s characters.
But earlier this week, fans noticed something off about D.Va’s latest victory pose. Apparently, she’s taking a selfie with her phone off.
“Pumpkin Selfie” shows D.Va holding a jack-o’-lantern next to her head and posing for a photo with her arm outstretched. The pose, which appears after winning a match, references a highlight intro where D.Va snaps a selfie after popping her Self-Destruct ultimate. But on further inspection, one fan rotated D.Va around and realized that her phone screen is turned off. In other words, she’s just staring at her smartphone the entire time.
— Alfonso Cariñena (@siralfthegreen) October 10, 2018
her phone isnt even on pic.twitter.com/kk3ll5qM1D
— banana water (@tea_vea) October 10, 2018
Fans quickly went to work speculating what’s up with D.Va. Maybe she has a privacy screen.
She has privacy filter
— Sleepy (@SleepyJirachi) October 10, 2018
MFS DON’T KNOW BOUT 3M PRIVACY OVERLAYS https://t.co/NQ5VJE8Suq
— [ 𝖘𝖈𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖈𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 ] (@freebasecatnip) October 11, 2018
Her brightness might be a little too low.
she just has the brightness turned down really low
— solasween (@shrikejr) October 10, 2018
She could just be admiring herself in the phone’s glass mirror.
shes just admiring her reflection…..
— alex @ buy twewy final remix (@lytiic) October 10, 2018
Her phone could’ve fallen asleep because she took too long to pose.
Took too long to pose & the screen went to sleep https://t.co/c7WfcVVgUh
— (There Are No Spooky Puns For) Sinko (@23Syncope) October 10, 2018
Or maybe she’s just high.
shes high let her have her fun https://t.co/M8pkjX2TSY
— rochelle (@lovepaIette) October 10, 2018
On second thought, most Twitter users agree that D.Va is just really high.
I'm not high, but that looks fun!
— Ant💙💜❤️ Steals X-Mas (@AGramuglia) October 11, 2018
i cried laughing thanks
— 👑 Horizon Zero Dead (@fluffigator) October 11, 2018
It’s how I take all my selfies too XD
— A Ghost Pasta (@Spookghetti4U) October 11, 2018
This is very comical to me as I am currently high as of reading this funny response to a quoted tweet that is very haha
— ⛧ⱱ𝟈𝓻†𝔧ʛ𝛷⛧ ☿ (@vertigoawaypls) October 11, 2018
Twitter quickly compared her to the classic calculator selfie Vine, where a bunch of women crowd around a smartphone to take a selfie with the back camera while using the calculator app.
She’s literally these girls https://t.co/nLI6NMnR56
— 🌈NINA🌈 @ ikkicon!!!!! (@phoenix_fruit) October 11, 2018
— piss legend (@BronyDubstep) October 11, 2018
this is the "what the fuuuuuck" vine with the calculator https://t.co/VdltApKHcU
— clamscray | 77days (@clownapologist) October 11, 2018
reminds me of that one vine where the women are trying a take a selfie but it’s on calculator https://t.co/pUipcXiktb
— serena (@serenabenson__) October 11, 2018
Meanwhile, Overwatch fans are ready to protect their precious Dorito goblin at all costs.
Leave dva alone she saved the city for us https://t.co/f8QiCvxKyw
— _/˭ade mythic (@nnythic) October 11, 2018
Don’t hate on my main! https://t.co/E8rVKnsXWl
— AfricanBattleRoach (@blasianBronson) October 11, 2018
leave her alone thats my waifu >:( https://t.co/0YRgqf5zyV
— emmy🧸 (@assvore) October 11, 2018
do not attack dva like this https://t.co/MPaoP9AEiW
— Roberto (@roberto0__) October 11, 2018
- Every Overwatch Map, ranked from worst to best
- Is Xbox Game Pass really worth it?
- The best Fortnite skins available today
- The best Overwatch characters, ranked
D.Va, we love you, but you may want to bring a lightning cable with you for your next Overwatch match. I’m sure there’s plenty of USB ports in your mech.
Ana Valens is an LGBTQ reporter and essayist for the Daily Dot. Her work has previously appeared in Bitch, the Establishment, Vice's Waypoint, Rolling Stone's Glixel, and the Toast. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.