- Trump’s rant about Megan Rapinoe devolves into treatise about PC culture in the NBA Today 10:41 AM
- Is Millie Bobby Brown joining the MCU? Today 10:39 AM
- Hundreds of thousands demand that Etika’s previously deleted YouTube channel be restored Today 10:18 AM
- Eric Trump says cocktail waitress spit on him in Chicago bar Today 9:47 AM
- Maine governor signs net neutrality bill into law Today 9:07 AM
- How the QAnon movement continues without its messenger Today 8:26 AM
- 6 best Korean beauty products for summer Today 8:17 AM
- ‘The Office’ is leaving Netflix in 2021 Today 7:46 AM
- How to install the iOS 13 beta and test out its best new features Today 7:42 AM
- Swipe This! I want my boyfriend to text me everyday. Is that crazy? Today 7:30 AM
- Why every 2020 Democrat is canceled Today 7:01 AM
- The best LGBTQ movies and series on Amazon Prime Today 7:00 AM
- The easiest way to stream all the soccer you can handle Today 6:00 AM
- Facebook refused to take down this blackface page for 4 months Today 5:30 AM
- Tom Holland rescues fan getting squashed by autograph hounds Tuesday 7:14 PM
Overwatch’s D.Va goes viral after fans realize she takes selfies with her phone off
‘She’s high, let her have her fun.’
It’s that time of year again. Overwatch’s Halloween Terror 2018 event is here, and to celebrate the month, Blizzard just unveiled a new series of skins and emotes for the game’s characters.
But earlier this week, fans noticed something off about D.Va’s latest victory pose. Apparently, she’s taking a selfie with her phone off.
“Pumpkin Selfie” shows D.Va holding a jack-o’-lantern next to her head and posing for a photo with her arm outstretched. The pose, which appears after winning a match, references a highlight intro where D.Va snaps a selfie after popping her Self-Destruct ultimate. But on further inspection, one fan rotated D.Va around and realized that her phone screen is turned off. In other words, she’s just staring at her smartphone the entire time.
— Alfonso Cariñena (@siralfthegreen) October 10, 2018
her phone isnt even on pic.twitter.com/kk3ll5qM1D
— banana water (@tea_vea) October 10, 2018
Fans quickly went to work speculating what’s up with D.Va. Maybe she has a privacy screen.
She has privacy filter
— Sleepy (@SleepyJirachi) October 10, 2018
MFS DON’T KNOW BOUT 3M PRIVACY OVERLAYS https://t.co/NQ5VJE8Suq
— [ 𝖘𝖈𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖈𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 ] (@freebasecatnip) October 11, 2018
Her brightness might be a little too low.
she just has the brightness turned down really low
— solasween (@shrikejr) October 10, 2018
She could just be admiring herself in the phone’s glass mirror.
shes just admiring her reflection…..
— alex @ buy twewy final remix (@lytiic) October 10, 2018
Her phone could’ve fallen asleep because she took too long to pose.
Took too long to pose & the screen went to sleep https://t.co/c7WfcVVgUh
— (There Are No Spooky Puns For) Sinko (@23Syncope) October 10, 2018
Or maybe she’s just high.
shes high let her have her fun https://t.co/M8pkjX2TSY
— rochelle (@lovepaIette) October 10, 2018
On second thought, most Twitter users agree that D.Va is just really high.
I'm not high, but that looks fun!
— Ant❤️💜💙 WATCH EVANGELION (@AGramuglia) October 11, 2018
i cried laughing thanks
— 🏹 YOU READY FOR THIS? C- 🦖 (@fluffigator) October 11, 2018
It’s how I take all my selfies too XD
— A Ghost Pasta (@Spookghetti4U) October 11, 2018
Twitter quickly compared her to the classic calculator selfie Vine, where a bunch of women crowd around a smartphone to take a selfie with the back camera while using the calculator app.
She’s literally these girls https://t.co/nLI6NMnR56
— nina. (@phoenix_fruit) October 11, 2018
— piss legend (@BronyDubstep) October 11, 2018
this is the "what the fuuuuuck" vine with the calculator https://t.co/VdltApKHcU
— clamscray | 77days (@clownapologist) October 11, 2018
reminds me of that one vine where the women are trying a take a selfie but it’s on calculator https://t.co/pUipcXiktb
— serena (@serenabenson__) October 11, 2018
Meanwhile, Overwatch fans are ready to protect their precious Dorito goblin at all costs.
Leave dva alone she saved the city for us https://t.co/f8QiCvxKyw
— _/˭ade mythic (@nnythic) October 11, 2018
Don’t hate on my main! https://t.co/E8rVKnsXWl
— AfricanBattleRoach (@blasianBronson) October 11, 2018
leave her alone thats my waifu >:( https://t.co/0YRgqf5zyV
— emmy (@assvore) October 11, 2018
do not attack dva like this https://t.co/MPaoP9AEiW
— Roberto (@roberto0__) October 11, 2018
- Every Overwatch Map, ranked from worst to best
- Is Xbox Game Pass really worth it?
- The best Fortnite skins available today
- The best Overwatch characters, ranked
D.Va, we love you, but you may want to bring a lightning cable with you for your next Overwatch match. I’m sure there’s plenty of USB ports in your mech.
Ana Valens is a reporter specializing in online queer communities, marginalized identities, and adult content creation. She is Daily Dot's Trans/Sex columnist. Her work has appeared at Waypoint, Truthout, Bitch Media, Kill Screen, Rolling Stone's Glixel, and the Toast. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.