- Don Cheadle made important fashion choices on ‘SNL’ Today 9:47 AM
- Why the Twitter left loves to dunk on Max Boot Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Last Week Tonight with John Oliver’ online for free Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Francis Ngannou vs. Cain Velasquez for free Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream the 2019 Daytona 500 for free Today 5:50 AM
- 7-year-old YouTuber to get his own show on Nickelodeon Saturday 5:30 PM
- ‘Hipster’ jobs are trending, and Indeed says the market is booming Saturday 3:33 PM
- Trump meme removed after copyright complaint Saturday 2:15 PM
- Facebook pushes back against moderators complaining about ‘Big Brother’ environment Saturday 12:46 PM
- Twitter hid post from an account linked to Iran’s Supreme Leader Saturday 10:17 AM
- How to stream Leo Santa Cruz vs. Rafael Rivera for free Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Larry Charles’ Dangerous World of Comedy’ finds the balance between tragedy and comedy Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Michael ‘Venom’ Page vs. Paul Daley for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the NBA Dunk Contest 2019 online for free Saturday 6:50 AM
- The best new TV shows to stream this weekend Saturday 6:00 AM
Overwatch’s D.Va goes viral after fans realize she takes selfies with her phone off
‘She’s high, let her have her fun.’
It’s that time of year again. Overwatch’s Halloween Terror 2018 event is here, and to celebrate the month, Blizzard just unveiled a new series of skins and emotes for the game’s characters.
But earlier this week, fans noticed something off about D.Va’s latest victory pose. Apparently, she’s taking a selfie with her phone off.
“Pumpkin Selfie” shows D.Va holding a jack-o’-lantern next to her head and posing for a photo with her arm outstretched. The pose, which appears after winning a match, references a highlight intro where D.Va snaps a selfie after popping her Self-Destruct ultimate. But on further inspection, one fan rotated D.Va around and realized that her phone screen is turned off. In other words, she’s just staring at her smartphone the entire time.
— Alfonso Cariñena (@siralfthegreen) October 10, 2018
her phone isnt even on pic.twitter.com/kk3ll5qM1D
— banana water (@tea_vea) October 10, 2018
Fans quickly went to work speculating what’s up with D.Va. Maybe she has a privacy screen.
She has privacy filter
— Sleepy (@SleepyJirachi) October 10, 2018
MFS DON’T KNOW BOUT 3M PRIVACY OVERLAYS https://t.co/NQ5VJE8Suq
— [ 𝖘𝖈𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖈𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 ] (@freebasecatnip) October 11, 2018
Her brightness might be a little too low.
she just has the brightness turned down really low
— solasween (@shrikejr) October 10, 2018
She could just be admiring herself in the phone’s glass mirror.
shes just admiring her reflection…..
— alex @ buy twewy final remix (@lytiic) October 10, 2018
Her phone could’ve fallen asleep because she took too long to pose.
Took too long to pose & the screen went to sleep https://t.co/c7WfcVVgUh
— (There Are No Spooky Puns For) Sinko (@23Syncope) October 10, 2018
Or maybe she’s just high.
shes high let her have her fun https://t.co/M8pkjX2TSY
— rochelle (@lovepaIette) October 10, 2018
On second thought, most Twitter users agree that D.Va is just really high.
I'm not high, but that looks fun!
— Ant💙💜❤️ Writes Stuff? (@AGramuglia) October 11, 2018
i cried laughing thanks
— 🏹 Horizon Zero Dead (@fluffigator) October 11, 2018
It’s how I take all my selfies too XD
— A Ghost Pasta (@Spookghetti4U) October 11, 2018
This is very comical to me as I am currently high as of reading this funny response to a quoted tweet that is very haha
— ⛧ⱱ𝟈𝓻†𝔧ʛ𝛷⛧ (@vertigoawaypls) October 11, 2018
Twitter quickly compared her to the classic calculator selfie Vine, where a bunch of women crowd around a smartphone to take a selfie with the back camera while using the calculator app.
She’s literally these girls https://t.co/nLI6NMnR56
— nina. (@phoenix_fruit) October 11, 2018
— piss legend (@BronyDubstep) October 11, 2018
this is the "what the fuuuuuck" vine with the calculator https://t.co/VdltApKHcU
— clamscray | 77days (@clownapologist) October 11, 2018
reminds me of that one vine where the women are trying a take a selfie but it’s on calculator https://t.co/pUipcXiktb
— serena (@serenabenson__) October 11, 2018
Meanwhile, Overwatch fans are ready to protect their precious Dorito goblin at all costs.
Leave dva alone she saved the city for us https://t.co/f8QiCvxKyw
— _/˭ade mythic (@nnythic) October 11, 2018
Don’t hate on my main! https://t.co/E8rVKnsXWl
— AfricanBattleRoach (@blasianBronson) October 11, 2018
leave her alone thats my waifu >:( https://t.co/0YRgqf5zyV
— emmy (@assvore) October 11, 2018
do not attack dva like this https://t.co/MPaoP9AEiW
— Roberto (@roberto0__) October 11, 2018
- Every Overwatch Map, ranked from worst to best
- Is Xbox Game Pass really worth it?
- The best Fortnite skins available today
- The best Overwatch characters, ranked
D.Va, we love you, but you may want to bring a lightning cable with you for your next Overwatch match. I’m sure there’s plenty of USB ports in your mech.
Ana Valens is an LGBTQ reporter and essayist for the Daily Dot. Her work has previously appeared in Bitch, the Establishment, Vice's Waypoint, Rolling Stone's Glixel, and the Toast. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.