- Twitch streamer’s mom, roommate get into brawl during live broadcast Thursday 8:41 PM
- Top NFL draft pick Nick Bosa scrubs racist, homophobic social media activity Thursday 8:18 PM
- Jared Kushner’s ‘comprehensive immigration plan’ is just 2 bullet points Thursday 8:16 PM
- ‘Lil Billie Xanish’ is the deepfake mashup of Billie Eilish and Lil Xan Thursday 5:10 PM
- Gossip account the Shade Room to launch 3 original series on Instagram Thursday 4:46 PM
- Biden says he asked Obama not to endorse him—but people aren’t buying it Thursday 3:17 PM
- Marvel makes more money than Harry Potter and Star Wars combined Thursday 3:13 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’: Obituaries for the fallen heroes Thursday 2:51 PM
- T-Mobile, Verizon admit most Americans won’t see fast 5G Thursday 1:52 PM
- PlayStation Vue is offering a sweet streaming deal for a limited time Thursday 1:42 PM
- Twitter reportedly worried banning white nationalists would also flag some Republicans Thursday 1:31 PM
- Lawyer of cop in viral assault case calls the crime a ‘Facebook misdemeanor’ Thursday 12:33 PM
- Biden’s ‘all men’-focused announcement gets roasted Thursday 11:49 AM
- Skillshare is offering new users one month of premium for free Thursday 10:44 AM
- Report: Facebook is punishing Black people for talking about racism (updated) Thursday 10:15 AM
Michelle Yeoh will appear in ‘Star Trek: Discovery,’ according to producer
Fans are theorizing she may play the show’s lead role, a lieutenant commander.
In an interview with Coming Soon, Meyer said, “I know Michelle Yeoh is in it.” CBS hasn’t officially confirmed the casting yet, but Meyer—best known as the writer/director of Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan—is one of the more prominent members of Discovery‘s creative team.
Already suffering from the delays and the loss of its high-profile showrunner, Star Trek: Discovery remains something of an enigma. The show is so secretive that a Twitter account belonging to Meyer’s dog is one of the few places fans can glean information from behind the scenes.
Some fans are theorizing that Yeoh will play the show’s lead role, a lieutenant commander in Starfleet. While this rank would generally suggest a younger actor, it’s possible the character could have been demoted, or began her career as an enlisted crewmember instead of an officer who attended Starfleet Academy.
However, it would be a bit of a PR faux-pas to reveal Discovery‘s lead actress in an offhand interview comment, rather than with an official announcement from the network. All Meyer said was that she’s “in” the show, so we don’t know anything else for sure.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.