- Backpack Kid sues Fortnite developer over flossing emote 10 Months Ago
- Conservatives rage at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘week of self-care’ Today 4:02 PM
- 2 inflatable snowmen fought in front of a combo KFC/Taco Bell Today 2:47 PM
- How to watch the Boca Raton Bowl online for free Today 2:43 PM
- DAZN KOs YouTube, Snapchat as (temporarily) the most downloaded app Today 1:57 PM
- AT&T says it’s rolling out 5G service this week Today 1:03 PM
- NY state senator tells woman staffer ‘Kill yourself!’ in a tweet Today 12:54 PM
- This Lil Jon-Kool-Aid Man Christmas jam is as extra as you’d expect Today 12:13 PM
- YouTube stars say unfair copyright claims are making their lives hell Today 12:12 PM
- UPS deletes tweet about shredding letters to North Pole after huge backlash Today 11:21 AM
- Viral petition leads to revised Holland Tunnel Christmas decor Today 11:10 AM
- Paul Ryan’s self-serving farewell tour is the bane of the internet right now Today 10:59 AM
- ‘Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’ renewed for seasons 3 and 4 Today 10:59 AM
- Former NASA engineer dupes package thieves into opening this epic glitter bomb Today 10:54 AM
- Trump officials withheld abortion from raped migrant teen Today 10:21 AM
Michael K. Williams reveals his deleted role in ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’
Tim Pierce/Wikimedia (CC-BY-SA)
The extensive reshoots on Solo: A Star Wars Story meant an entire character had to be replaced. When Ron Howard took over from the original directors, Phil Lord and Chris Miller, he reputedly reshot most of the movie. That included scenes with Michael K. Williams, playing an alien named Dryden Vos, but Williams had a scheduling conflict. He had to abandon the role, and Paul Bettany stepped in to film a new version of the character.
In an interview with Sirius XM’s Jim and Sam Show, Williams shared some details about the role. Filmed using motion capture, Dryden Vos was “half mountain lion, half human.” Thanks to the time crunch, Paul Bettany’s version will be a plain old non-CGI human.
— Ron Howard (@RealRonHoward) September 16, 2017
“He was extremely sophisticated. Very rich. He’d been around the world, older guy, and it was sort of a love triangle between Emilia Clarke’s character, Qi’Ra and the young Han Solo,” said Williams. “Not where it was overtly a love triangle but there was definitely a pissing contest going on for the girl’s attention.”
Vos flirted with Qi’ra as an experienced older man, while Han (naturally) argued that Qi’ra would prefer someone closer to her own age. It remains to be seen whether this dynamic will carry over to the final film. There’s quite a contrast between young Han Solo and an aging alien lion, but less so between Alden Ehrenreich (28) and Paul Bettany (a well-preserved human 46), who is still in the wheelhouse of love-interests for a 31-year-old actress.
Discussing the extremity of the reshoots, Williams described the situation as “crazy shit… one for the textbooks.”
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.