- ‘Stranger Things’ star’s new Netflix prank show is receiving backlash Today 9:04 AM
- How to watch ‘City on a Hill’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Euphoria’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- Meet the home brewer turning beer into a case for net neutrality Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Chile at the World Cup for free Today 6:15 AM
- 15 teen movies on Netflix that will make you laugh, cry, and cringe Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Estrella TV online for free Today 5:00 AM
- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Saturday 1:20 PM
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement Saturday 12:39 PM
- Hundreds of police officers belong to extremist Facebook groups, investigation finds Saturday 9:31 AM
- How to watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz online Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Late Night’ is a disappointing, tepid comedy Saturday 7:00 AM
It’s official: Joe Manganiello will play Deathstroke in Ben Affleck’s solo Batman movie
Can this villain be an interesting match for the Dark Knight?
Affleck offered no explanation, but fans were quick to fill the void with their own speculation about the significance of the clip. Some wondered if the villain would appear in the upcoming superhero team-up blockbuster Justice League, the next film in DC Comics’s years-long movie lineup after a solo Wonder Woman adventure in June 2017.
We now know that Deathstroke will be a villain in a Affleck-led solo Batman film, and actor Joe Manganiello (Magic Mike, True Blood) will be the man behind the mask. DC Entertainment president and chief creative officer Geoff Johns confirmed the casting to the Wall Street Journal. Johns is co-writing the script for the upcoming Batman movie, which has yet to get a release date. DC Comics has release dates for two yet-to-be-named movies on Oct. 5, 2018, and Nov. 1, 2019, on its calendar, so it’s possible Batman could take one of those slots. DC has also discussed a Harley Quinn-led Suicide Squad spinoff movie, though nothing official has been announced.
Manganiello already has a superhero franchise credit to his name, having played Flash Thompson in 2007’s Spider-Man 3. Deathstroke is notably not one of DC’s name-brand villains, though he has been popular with comics fans. The mercenary has a history of menacing the Teen Titans, amd he has tangled with Batman as a member of Lex Luthor’s Secret Society of Super Villains and in various other story lines.
In the comics, Deathstroke has a military background, making him a skilled fighter who can tap into super abilities like a healing factor, heightened strength, and level of tactical intelligence that might make him a tricky opponent for Batman.
Sarah Weber is the former editor of Daily Dot’s Parsec section, where she wrote about geek culture. She previously worked as a reporter and editor at community newspapers in the Midwest and was recognized by the Ohio Associated Press for news reporting.