- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games (updated) Thursday 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Thursday 12:20 PM
Affleck offered no explanation, but fans were quick to fill the void with their own speculation about the significance of the clip. Some wondered if the villain would appear in the upcoming superhero team-up blockbuster Justice League, the next film in DC Comics’s years-long movie lineup after a solo Wonder Woman adventure in June 2017.
We now know that Deathstroke will be a villain in a Affleck-led solo Batman film, and actor Joe Manganiello (Magic Mike, True Blood) will be the man behind the mask. DC Entertainment president and chief creative officer Geoff Johns confirmed the casting to the Wall Street Journal. Johns is co-writing the script for the upcoming Batman movie, which has yet to get a release date. DC Comics has release dates for two yet-to-be-named movies on Oct. 5, 2018, and Nov. 1, 2019, on its calendar, so it’s possible Batman could take one of those slots. DC has also discussed a Harley Quinn-led Suicide Squad spinoff movie, though nothing official has been announced.
Manganiello already has a superhero franchise credit to his name, having played Flash Thompson in 2007’s Spider-Man 3. Deathstroke is notably not one of DC’s name-brand villains, though he has been popular with comics fans. The mercenary has a history of menacing the Teen Titans, amd he has tangled with Batman as a member of Lex Luthor’s Secret Society of Super Villains and in various other story lines.
In the comics, Deathstroke has a military background, making him a skilled fighter who can tap into super abilities like a healing factor, heightened strength, and level of tactical intelligence that might make him a tricky opponent for Batman.
Sarah Weber is the former editor of Daily Dot’s Parsec section, where she wrote about geek culture. She previously worked as a reporter and editor at community newspapers in the Midwest and was recognized by the Ohio Associated Press for news reporting.