- In season 2, ‘Succession’ has quietly become one of the best shows on TV Sunday 9:10 PM
- Alexa Demie shares the beauty inspiration behind ‘Euphoria’s’ Maddy Sunday 5:47 PM
- Fans just discovered Lizzo’s old YouTube channel–and it’s full of gems Sunday 4:22 PM
- The ‘Final Destination’ movies are now streaming on Hulu Sunday 2:44 PM
- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused Sunday 2:02 PM
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators Sunday 1:20 PM
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Sunday 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Sunday 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Sunday 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Sunday 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Sunday 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Sunday 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
Star Trek Beyond is hitting theaters this week and with a fourth film officially announced, some fans wondered what Star Trek will do with Pavel Chekov after Anton Yelchin’s sudden death last month. While the exact plan might still be up in the air, we do know one thing: He won’t be replaced.
“I would say there’s no replacing him,” Abrams said. “There’s no recasting. I can’t possibly imagine that, and I think Anton deserves better.”
Chekov is a key crew member of the U.S.S. Enterprise, and according to the Toronto Sun, the character received the most amount of screentime to date in Beyond. His role in the films so far has largely been that of comic relief as the stories focused on Kirk, Spock, Bones, Scotty, and Uhura.
For now it’s unclear just how Star Trek will handle Yelchin’s death. Abrams said that he’s thought about killing off Chekov, although “it’s too early to talk about it.” But it’s something the film has tackled before with another beloved actor in the film. Star Trek Beyond includes a nod to original Spock Leonard Nimoy, who died last year, within the plot itself.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.