- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Today 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Today 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Today 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Today 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Today 2:16 PM
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Today 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Today 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Today 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Today 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Today 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Today 10:41 AM
- Teens are eating cereal out of each other’s mouths for clout Today 10:34 AM
- Did Martha McSally plan her ‘liberal hack’ viral moment? Today 10:32 AM
- Trump adds Jeffrey Epstein’s old attorney to impeachment team Today 10:03 AM
- YouTube star Cameron Dallas gets scathing reviews for his Broadway debut Today 9:58 AM
Jared Leto took on the mantle of the Joker in the much-maligned Suicide Squad, but reports of a Joker origin story produced by Martin Scorsese revealed that he won’t be the only one playing the role in DC Comics’ cinematic universe. But keeping track of which Joker is doing what can be a bit confusing—just ask Leto.
He and 30 Seconds To Mars guitarist Tomo Miličević sat down for an interview the launch event for Destiny 2 where he was asked just what was going on in the DC movie verse given the confusion in the reporting. Leto’s a bit confused too, and despite reports that he was upset at the idea of multiple Jokers running around, he gave a diplomatic response about how the Joker doesn’t belong to him.
“I love the Joker,” Leto said. “He’s a great character and really fun character to play. But it’s a big universe and when you play the Joker, there’s no ownership there. You have the honor of holding the baton for a little while and then passing it off. But there are other films in development, and I’m excited to see what comes from them.”
As of right now, there would be two Jokers. Leto would potentially appear in Suicide Squad 2 and the Harley Quinn spin-off Gotham City Sirens while the untitled Joker origin movie would have a different actor. It’s still too early to know if all three of those movies will go ahead smoothly, but at least in the early stages, Warner Bros. believes there’s plenty of Joker to go around for everyone.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.