- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
The senator from Naboo is getting another shot at the limelight.
The Gungan senator from Naboo is getting another shot at the limelight 20 years after he made his (controversial) appearance in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.
Jar Jar Binks is trending. Nobody seems to know why. I'm okay with this. pic.twitter.com/8lw4jOlAYo— Susan DeStefanis (@Awesomegasm) July 8, 2019
Amidst all the mystery, Jar Jar Binks continued to be a trending topic–but only because everyone continued asking why Jar Jar Binks was trending. The internet can be funny like that.
Jar Jar Binks trending because people are asking "Why is Jar Jar Binks trending?" is the most Jar Jar Binks thing ever. pic.twitter.com/1Aj7eQsTfd— Ryan McGee (@ESPNMcGee) July 8, 2019
Some days I think I understand Twitter. And then some days Jar Jar Binks is trending simply because people are asking why Jar Jar Binks is trending. pic.twitter.com/zFRxQPO0hE— Elyse Surette-DiMuzio (@elysesd_) July 8, 2019
Everyone trying to find out why Jar Jar Binks is trending, is the most Jar Jar Binks reason to be trending pic.twitter.com/3WJMmcnDBS— The Social Fever (@Goon_Squaddddd) July 8, 2019
Twitter users were happy to find out the senator was safe and used the opportunity to show him some love.
Jar Jar Binks trending and I instantly think he died. Super relieved to find he’s ok and this is just another random trend. pic.twitter.com/2nMhqI5ZLV— Heather (@thickiinickkii) July 8, 2019
since my bby jar jar binks is trending let me introduce you to a meme I made when I was 15 pic.twitter.com/rK4AMk98bG— (っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ tracy ♥ (@spacehooters) July 8, 2019
Others were not so happy with Jar Jar Binks’ return.
Saw Jar Jar Binks was trending & expected to see an apology from George Lucas for ever creating the character. pic.twitter.com/JgbWv10iuK— Too many humans (@Coldbeanbuts) July 8, 2019
Then, there were those who chose to bring up the Sith Lord conspiracy.
Jar Jar Binks the original dark lord, and true sith master pic.twitter.com/itQm2bcCEM— R3CONL1ZARD (@R3CONL1ZARD) July 8, 2019
Will "Jar Jar Binks" finally be revealed as a Sith Lord? pic.twitter.com/Gm33uEDVJA— A sad (@xang767) July 8, 2019
As it turns out, Jar Jar Binks’ return can be traced back to a Star Wars-themed graphic shared on Twitter. The graphic most likely gained popularity after being shared by Mark Hamill a.k.a Jedi Master Luke Skywalker.
- Palpatine may be back from the dead—and the internet is shook
- The best ‘Star Wars’ memes
- ‘Star Wars” Riz Ahmed opens up about being racially profiled at airport
- Does Keri Russell’s ‘Rise of Skywalker’ character have an offensive name in Spanish?
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
H/T Tampa Bay Times
Caitlin Davis is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. Her work has appeared in the Daily Texan and the Austin Chronicle.