- New Click to Pray app lets you pray with Pope Francis 1 Year Ago
- Social media influencer known for hiking in bikinis dead at 36 1 Year Ago
- Trump posts altered pics on social media to make fingers look longer, report Today 3:20 PM
- Twitch user banned after telling woman to ‘kill yourself’ during stream Today 3:06 PM
- Facebook introduces ‘Community Actions’ tool to petition the government Today 2:04 PM
- Sarah Sanders, NRA deliver truly misguided MLK tributes today Today 12:58 PM
- MAGA teen who confronted Native elder says he ‘respects all races’ Today 12:57 PM
- Popular YouTube channel in danger of disappearing because of copyright claims Today 12:24 PM
- The Krassensteins’ Reddit AMA gets trolled off the internet Today 12:08 PM
- No, Trump didn’t break open the Pizzagate scandal in 2011 Today 11:23 AM
- Producer of anti-abortion film says Facebook refuses to run his ads Today 10:58 AM
- Ja Rule thinks he was also a victim of Fyre Fest Today 10:21 AM
- YouTube beef between RiceGum and H3H3 gets ugly—and personal Today 10:02 AM
- ‘Fox & Friends’ accidentally airs obituary graphic for Ruth Bader Ginsburg Today 9:40 AM
- Ocasio-Cortez helps Donkey Kong Twitch streamer raise money for trans rights Today 8:09 AM
A daddy dating sim has passed Overwatch as Tumblr’s most popular game
Make room for daddy.
Move over, Overwatch. Daddy’s home.
The simulation game, created by Tumblr users Leighton Gray and Vernon Shaw, has a simple concept. It is a game about dads dating other dads. That’s pretty much it. After creating your dad, you can choose your date from several different dads whose personalities gradually reveal themselves through interactions with their children and other dads. Oh, and you get graded on your dad dates. Different interactions yield different endings, and the fight to discover all of the different possibilities keeps players enthralled beyond the usual interest levels of your typical simulation game.
Overwatch began its Tumblr reign on Oct. 17, and it lasted uninterrupted until Dream Daddy overtook it, Amanda Brennan, Tumblr’s senior content insights manager told Mic. This may seem like a fluke, but the game is popular across the entire site. In fact, the tag “dream daddy” had the second-highest trending score, just behind “gif.”
— McMoo (@Moosopp) July 26, 2017
Tumblr boasts its own special gaming fandom, and its interest in fanfiction (and its male-relationship-focused counterpart, slashfic) makes this definitely the type of game that would thrive there—and thrive it has. This last week saw Dream Daddy‘s popularity skyrocket, and it’s rising fast. The simulation game had 59 percent more total engagements than Overwatch last week, according to Brennan.
It’s hard to say how long Dream Daddy‘s reign will last, but for now we have to give these hunky—and surprisingly dedicated—fathers the props they deserve.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.